Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Pascal Goncalves

Default VHF/DSC AIS and GPS

Thank You all, for the precious information put here. I had browsed
all of them and I am now impressed on the already many software and
equipment designed to support AIS in the leisure boat market.

At the begin my focus was only on the GpsMap276C NMEA interface with
the ICOM ICM-602 VHF/DSC radio for position report, but now I think
that AIS is the future, and the probably, would be the next wave of
electronics for small boats, since it is based on gps and is more
cheap and less hungry on 12V power than a traditional radar.

I was very impressed on the Freeware software SeaClear, wich already
has AIS support: I had just downloaded and installed it, but I
think it could be one of the best softwares I have tried, mainly in
the NMEA processing functions wich are exceeding and very good. The
SeaPro is fantastic, and I compare it only with MaxSea.

Thinking in small sailboats boats only, an integrated solution
using a VHF/DSC radio (similar of ICM602) having all AIS channels
frequency receiver allowing it to receive the AIS messages , talking
over NMEA In/Out with a Gps/Chart Plotter (similar to a GpsMap276C)
could be a more affordable solution and perhaps can be available not
so long in the future, I hope.

Thank You all again an best regards

Pascal Goncalves