BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Connecting GPS recvr to Inmarsat Antenna (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/35652-connecting-gps-recvr-inmarsat-antenna.html)

Maddy May 4th 05 05:51 PM

Connecting GPS recvr to Inmarsat Antenna

I have a Simrad Shipmate CP32 GPS reciever and a Skanti scansat
Inmarsat C terminal. I have only one place to mount an antenna. So I
connected my GPS to the Inmarsat C antenna in parallel using a T joint
and have found that I get a fix whenever the Inmarsat is switched
on(probably becoz the antenna is powered by the transreciever, around
9V). Can I continue doing that and is it dangerous. I also have a
Garmin GPS25 GPS board. Can I do the same with it? Will the 9v supply
be dangerous?

Me May 5th 05 08:49 PM

In article .com,
"Maddy" wrote:

I have a Simrad Shipmate CP32 GPS reciever and a Skanti scansat
Inmarsat C terminal. I have only one place to mount an antenna. So I
connected my GPS to the Inmarsat C antenna in parallel using a T joint
and have found that I get a fix whenever the Inmarsat is switched
on(probably becoz the antenna is powered by the transreciever, around
9V). Can I continue doing that and is it dangerous. I also have a
Garmin GPS25 GPS board. Can I do the same with it? Will the 9v supply
be dangerous?

If you Tee is in the receive line and you have an isolated input from
the GPS, then you should be ok, but Imarsat would not like you doing
this, and if they decided to get pushy, could uncommission your unit.
sounds like a good way to let the Magic smoke out of some expensive
electronics, to me.......

Me