Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Doug Dotson

Default NMEA2000 against NMEA0183

"Alexandre Heil Franca" wrote in
message ...
Hi there!

I know quite well NMEA-0183 and unfortunately have never had contact
to NMEA-2000. Can anyone point me to information about NMEA-2000?
Or maybe just list some of the most noticeable differences between
both specifications? I am interested on its architecture, telegrams
and electrical specs.

Thanks in advance,

Alexandre Heil França

Totally different animals. NMEA2000 is based upon the CAN (Controller Area
Network) protocol. Tons of info on CAN on the net. You can buy a copy of the
2000
spec from NMEA for something like $1500. Noticible dfferences are that they
have
nothing in common other than the meaning of the info transfered. I got a
prelim
copy of the spec just before it was released but I was sworn to not share it
under
penalty of having to keep suffering with 0183

Doug