BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   soldering iron (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/26263-soldering-iron.html)

myo aung December 16th 04 03:24 PM

soldering iron

does anyone has soldering iron that i can borrow

thanks

Bill Andersen December 16th 04 04:56 PM

Better yet - has anyone used one of the ColdHeet soldering irons advertised
on TV? Powered by several AA batteries and not much bigger that a fat pen.

Doug Dotson December 16th 04 04:58 PM

I just saw the ad for that last night. It sounds great if it really works. I
can't
imagine it is much more than 25 watts or so.

Doug

Gordon Wedman December 16th 04 07:03 PM

"myo aung" wrote in message
does anyone has soldering iron that i can borrow

thanks

In a pinch I just use one of those little blow torches than use a butane
lighter as fuel source. Always have it there for the heat shrink tubing
anyways.

Doug Dotson December 16th 04 09:13 PM

A 25 watt iron is good for printed circuit boards and such. Soldering
heavier wire for lighting and such is alot easier with a heavier iron.
Something
like a Weller soldering gun. Plus, lights and switches are generally
crimped, not soldered. I use a Portasol butane iron on the boat, but as I
said earlier, very
little is soldered.

Doug
s/v Callista

Kalico December 16th 04 11:27 PM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:24:40 -0000, "myo aung"
wrote:

does anyone has soldering iron that i can borrow

thanks

I have several - where are you?

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Steve Thomas December 17th 04 12:13 AM

I use one of those micro torches that you can work entirely with one hand.
Crimp, then solder.
Mechanical strength and corrosion resistance - the best of both worlds.

BrianR December 17th 04 10:33 AM

"myo aung" wrote in message
does anyone has soldering iron that i can borrow

thanks

Might be an idea to tell people where you are, as there are people from all
over the world here.
From your properties I assume you're in Kent UK. So a soldering iron in
Florida wouldn't be much use, besides the voltage would be wrong.

A-MAze December 20th 04 09:22 AM

In article ,
let his mind wander into..

"myo aung" wrote in message
does anyone has soldering iron that i can borrow

Why borrow something you can buy for less than 10 euros?