BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   circuit design for 12v DC supplied battery-charger for 9.6v NiCD batteries? (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/22996-circuit-design-12v-dc-supplied-battery-charger-9-6v-nicd-batteries.html)

Ric September 21st 04 01:36 PM

circuit design for 12v DC supplied battery-charger for 9.6v NiCD batteries?

Hello,

I would like to charge the 9.6v NiCd batteries of my Makita electric drill
direct from the 12vDC supply on board my boat. Can anybody point me to a
circuit design?

Using a 12v/240v inverter and the existing 240v charger is not an option as
the old charger is broken.

Fred Bloggs September 21st 04 02:44 PM

Ric wrote:
Hello,

I would like to charge the 9.6v NiCd batteries of my Makita electric drill
direct from the 12vDC supply on board my boat. Can anybody point me to a
circuit design?

Using a 12v/240v inverter and the existing 240v charger is not an option as
the old charger is broken.

This page is a decent explanation of how to do it-observing battery C
rating:
http://www.web-ee.com/Schematics/Bat...er/charger.gif
You can replace that D6 by something like an ordinary green LED (cathode
to Q2 emitter) and a resistor from the D6 cathode-Q2 emitter junction to
ground for a 10ma bias -something like R=(13-2)/10=120 ohms. The Iout
equation is then Iout=(Vled+Vbe)/R1 or about 2.7/R1- not super-critical.
Replace the full-wave bridge with a single series diode for reverse
hook-up protection. The MOSFET is heatsinked for a maximum power
dissipation of (Vin,max-Vnicad,min) x Iout. Add a fast blow, agc type,
fuse in series with the output driving NiCad (+) with rating of 1.5 x Iout.

Fred Bloggs September 21st 04 02:47 PM

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Ric wrote:

Hello,

I would like to charge the 9.6v NiCd batteries of my Makita electric
drill
direct from the 12vDC supply on board my boat. Can anybody point me to a
circuit design?

Using a 12v/240v inverter and the existing 240v charger is not an
option as
the old charger is broken.

This page is a decent explanation of how to do it-observing battery C
rating:
http://www.web-ee.com/Schematics/Bat...er/charger.gif
You can replace that D6 by something like an ordinary green LED (cathode
to Q2 emitter) and a resistor from the D6 cathode-Q2 emitter junction to
ground for a 10ma bias -something like R=(13-2)/10=120 ohms.

^^^^^
MAKE THAT 1.2K Ohms

Tom Seim September 21st 04 07:31 PM

That circuit is a voltage controlled circuit. Panasonic recommends
against using this type of circuit:

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...rgeMethods.pdf

A better, albeit more complex, circuit that uses an approved method
(voltage drop) can be found at:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bhabbott/charger.html

Tom