BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   loran antenna question (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/21163-loran-antenna-question.html)

RB August 6th 04 03:31 AM

loran antenna question

Got a question about a SITEX LORAN unit. Given that I've got and will use
the antenna base unit, will just about any old whip do?

Seems I recall that the LORANS work pretty well with just any old piece of
wire on top of the base cone.

Reason I ask is I am thinking about putting my vhf and LORAN antennas on top
of my bimini, but don't want long whips up there if I can get away with
shorter ones.

I'll be using a "shorty" base loaded VHF (sailboat) type antenna for that
application.

Bruce in Alaska August 10th 04 04:06 AM

loran antenna question

In article ,
"RB" wrote:

Got a question about a SITEX LORAN unit. Given that I've got and will use
the antenna base unit, will just about any old whip do?

Seems I recall that the LORANS work pretty well with just any old piece of
wire on top of the base cone.

Reason I ask is I am thinking about putting my vhf and LORAN antennas on top
of my bimini, but don't want long whips up there if I can get away with
shorter ones.

I'll be using a "shorty" base loaded VHF (sailboat) type antenna for that
application.

Most of the LORAN antenna Units are designed to use a Standard 107" CB
Whip that has the Standard 3/8" threaded stud. I could be wrong on the
stud size but they are all similar. The shakespear 10-4 was what we
always used.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @