posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default VDO tachometer-hourmeter with bad display

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 16:37:26 +0100, Dino
wrote:

Hany suggestion or link?

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2693853&postcount=10
--
Nigel M
Junior Member

One of the most common is via a newsreader (e.g. Outlook Express). Therefore it is important to include the details of the post to which you are replying, so newsreaders can interpret them correctly.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:51:55 +0000, Oh.humes dasasd wrote:

Therefore it is important to include the details of the post to which
you are replying, so newsreaders can interpret them correctly.

Huh?

--
Nigel M
posted to rec.boats.electronics

wrote:

Hany suggestion or link?

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2693853&postcount=10

Thaks for the link.

The above link do not show any details about wiring
connection.

I have decided to progress with a separate hourmeter and
leave the original tachometer only for the RPM display.

The reason is because of the uncertainty of hourmeter
connection. The VDO is connected to the motor with two wires
that carry the RPM pulse. It is my believe that RPM pulses
are internally analyzed to originate the "motor running"
information to the original hourmeter.

I'm progressing with a mechanical 12V hourmeter and a small
12V relay connected to the alternator output.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

wrote:

Hany suggestion or link?

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2693853&postcount=10

Thaks for the link.

The above link do not show any details about wiring
connection.

I have decided to progress with a separate hourmeter and
leave the original tachometer only for the RPM display.

The reason is because of the uncertainty of hourmeter
connection. The VDO is connected to the motor with two wires
that carry the RPM pulse. It is my believe that RPM pulses
are internally analyzed to originate the "motor running"
information to the original hourmeter.

I'm progressing with a mechanical 12V hourmeter and a small
12V relay connected to the alternator output.

Why not just wire it directly to the "ignition switch"? When the
switch is on the hour meter runs, when it is off it doesn't.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 07:16:12 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2693853&postcount=10

The above link do not show any details about wiring
connection.

I have decided to progress with a separate hourmeter and
leave the original tachometer only for the RPM display.

The reason is because of the uncertainty of hourmeter
connection. The VDO is connected to the motor with two wires
that carry the RPM pulse. It is my believe that RPM pulses
are internally analyzed to originate the "motor running"
information to the original hourmeter.

I'm progressing with a mechanical 12V hourmeter and a small
12V relay connected to the alternator output.

Why not just wire it directly to the "ignition switch"? When the
switch is on the hour meter runs, when it is off it doesn't.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

My design is based on a real "motor running" hourmetering,
while, your proposal is to consider the "power to the
engine" equal to "engine running", that is almost true.

I've been captured by VDO electronic design, and lost the
practical side of the problem.
Thanks
Dino

Junior Member

One of the most common is via a newsreader (e.g. Outlook Express). Therefore it is important to include the details of the post to which you are replying, so newsreaders can interpret them correctly. It is really amazing and outstanding.

wrote:

The reason is because of the uncertainty of hourmeter
connection. The VDO is connected to the motor with two wires
that carry the RPM pulse. It is my believe that RPM pulses
are internally analyzed to originate the "motor running"
information to the original hourmeter.

Although this is possible, it is most unlikely. Just use the igntion
feed, it will be wrong by a few seconds every few hours at most.

--
Nigel M
Junior Member

The word "essential" denotes something of absolute necessity--something that you can't get by without. But Webroot Internet Security Essentials 2011 ($60 for one year, three PCs, as of 12/2/2010) is sadly a bit of a misnomer: Its antimalware performance proved it was simply not up to the task of securing a modern PC. If you want "essential" protection, you'll need to look elsewhere.

Old mechanical VDO Sumlog [email protected] Cruising 2 November 25th 06 10:48 PM
VDO wind sensor Pyry General 1 August 19th 04 10:37 PM
VDO wind sensor Pyry ASA 0 August 16th 04 11:26 AM
VDO wind sensor Pyry General 2 August 15th 04 07:03 PM
VDO wind sensor Pyry Electronics 0 August 15th 04 06:28 PM