BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Connecting nmea devices (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/118139-connecting-nmea-devices.html)

Len[_2_] September 14th 10 10:56 PM

Connecting nmea devices

Goodevening,

I'm trying to figure out how to connect my nmea devices.

Before starting to connect things I'd like to ask this group.

It's mostly Simrad what I have on board.
RS5800GPS (up for replacement by a Furuno GP33) Dataline-X for wind,
speed and depth, AP300X Autopilot and a Anritsu radar, all
interconnected by a J300X Junction Box, which has 1 nmea-1 connection.

Next to that I have a second radar, a Furuno 1623, RS422/nmea0183
and an Icom M421 DSC-VHF, I presume also RS422/nmea0183

What would like to do is have the Furuno GP33:
send time and position to the Icom M421 VHF (listener 1 on RS422?)
send position to the Anritsu radar (via the J300X junction box?
listener 2?)
send position to the Furuno radar (listener 3 op de RS422?)
send APx commands to the autopilot (via the J300X junction box? same
listener 2 as the Anritsu radar?)
send position to my pc (RS232 cable to a RS232 comport)

The Furuno GP33 can handle 3 listeners on RS422 and has a RS232
output.
I THINK that if I connect the GP33 RS422-output with the nmea-in
of the J300X Junction Box, I have connected both the Anritsu radar as
well as the autopilot.
Is that correct?

Next to that I'd like to connect my pc, running chartplotter software
also to the autopilot, so I have a choice which device controls the
autopilot. In other words, how do I connect the autopilot to the GP33
as well as to the pc? I could use a switch here so I can toggle
between the GP33 and the pc.

Any reaction or remark is appreciated.

Cheers, Len.

Bruce in alaska September 15th 10 06:30 PM

Connecting nmea devices

In article
,
Len wrote:

[...]

Simple DPDT Switch will do the trick just fine.... Done that MANY times,
with NEMA0183...

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply