BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   May a "landlubber" comment? - was[ Help create better charts] (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/116454-re-may-landlubber-comment-%5B-help-create-better-charts%5D.html)

[email protected] July 12th 10 01:08 PM

On 2010-07-11 said:
Beyond that, from my work with cruisers on the maritime
mobile service network, 14300 khz I"ve gathered the
impression that some places such as Cuba jam gps signals as
well.

I've never heard that or seen any evidence of it. We've met
Canadians just recently that cruise to Cuba quite frequently and
they reported no such issues. It would be technically difficult
to jam GPS signals over any distance other than by satellite or
high altitude airplane. I think that cruisers who get into
navigation trouble near Cuba probably do so from lack of good
charts.

THis dovetails with my thoughts, but I"d heard that, and
have worked with a couple of vessels who've run aground in
Cuban waters grin. I always figured the "Cuba jams gps"
was one of those urban legends perpetuated by cruisers who,
like you say, either used bad charts, or weren't paying
proper attention.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb, amateur radio station nf5b
Active net control on the Maritime MObile SErvice net, 14.300 mhz
See
www.14300.net for info about radio services for mainers.
replace anything before the @ symbol with elspider to email