BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Inverter question (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/11452-inverter-question.html)

mark.lobach July 12th 04 02:39 AM

Inverter question

Does anyone know of an inverter that is suitable to be installed in the
engine compartment of a power boat? I know they make battery chargers
for engine compartments, but why not inverters?

Mark

Wayne.B July 12th 04 03:16 AM

Inverter question

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 01:39:17 GMT, "mark.lobach"
wrote:
Does anyone know of an inverter that is suitable to be installed in the
engine compartment of a power boat? I know they make battery chargers
for engine compartments, but why not inverters?

Many inverters have an automatic transfer switch that is not spark
protected, and thus unsafe for gasoline engine rooms. On a diesel
powered boat it should not be an issue except possibly for high
ambient temperatures.