BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Stereo equipment in boat (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/11414-stereo-equipment-boat.html)

somebody June 24th 04 05:30 PM

Stereo equipment in boat

OK - this may be a no brainer but I have to ask. Exactly how vital is it to
use marine grade equipment when installing a stereo in a boat? I realize
that if water gets in the head unit it would probably fry but if I protected
it from that somehow, could I safely install the old car stereo and speakers
I have sitting in my closet in my fishing boat? I'm half a country away from
any salt water so that won't be a concern. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx!

Keith June 24th 04 06:16 PM

Stereo equipment in boat

I would say very important. Speakers won't last long at all. I put a regular
car stereo in the pilothouse of my trawler. VERY protected from the weather,
and it still crapped out after about 18 months. I think it's just the humid
air/environment that gets to it. Probably in my case a bit of salt air, but
I'm normally in brackish water. I'd stick with marine stuff. I especially
like my Bose box speakers outside!

--

Keith
__

Jack Painter June 24th 04 07:26 PM

Stereo equipment in boat

"somebody" wrote
OK - this may be a no brainer but I have to ask. Exactly how vital is it

use marine grade equipment when installing a stereo in a boat? I realize
that if water gets in the head unit it would probably fry but if I

protected
it from that somehow, could I safely install the old car stereo and

speakers
I have sitting in my closet in my fishing boat? I'm half a country away

from
any salt water so that won't be a concern. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx!

It's absolutely vital to the marine electronics industry that you use only
their equipment, and if you try to install a car stereo in a boat, and they
find out about it, it could cost you your fishing license!

;-)
Jack

Jeff Morris June 24th 04 09:09 PM

Stereo equipment in boat

I'll put in a dissenting opinion - I've always used marine or outdoor speakers,
but I'm not sure its needed for the electronics, especially given the premium
they charge. Currently I'm using a Sony car radio with a 10 CD changer. It was
bought almost 4 years ago and has survived with no trouble, including a year in
the tropics. BTW, the almost new "marine" unit that it replaced was given to a
friend who reports that it died recently.

David&Joan June 25th 04 04:42 AM

Stereo equipment in boat

Having had three consecutive Jensen marine CD systems fail over a three
month period, I have to say WHY BOTHER WITH MARINE STUFF. Especially from
Jensen.

David

Larry W4CSC June 25th 04 12:21 PM

Stereo equipment in boat

"David&Joan" wrote in

Having had three consecutive Jensen marine CD systems fail over a three
month period, I have to say WHY BOTHER WITH MARINE STUFF. Especially from
Jensen.

David

It wasn't a "marine unit". None of them are that I know of. "Marine
units" are easily identified by the BIG ASSED WATERTIGHT SEALS, MILITARY-
STYLE sealed connectors with o-rings and watertight sealing caps, o-ring
sealing controls and buttons on the front and, most importantly.....

NO HOLES IN THE CASE ANYPLACE THAT WATER CAN GET INTO!

Having wires sticking out the back and a cheap plastic plug open to
seawater doesn't count.

Obviously, just changing the black front out for a white front DOESN'T make
it a "marine unit" by any stretch of the West Marine imagination.....(c;

Larry....

Compare it with your nice marine VHF SEALED radio....

Bobsprit June 25th 04 01:48 PM

Stereo equipment in boat

Most Marine Stereo's are just rebadged car units. I've never had a regular
stereo in my sailboat cabin fail over 10 years, 3 boats and several upgrades.
Get a Pioneer head unit and you'll be happy. Speakers, of course, should be
built for marine environment, though even regular units will last quite a while
below decks.

RB

SAIL LOCO June 25th 04 09:50 PM

Stereo equipment in boat

A stereo installed below on a boat is not much different than a stereo that's
installed in a car that sits outside.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Stan Winikoff June 27th 04 10:42 PM

Stereo equipment in boat--What do you put it in?

I've read these posts with interest and have sprung for a car stereo
CD-player. Now the issue is what to put it in. The 12 year old Standard
Horizon came in its own plastic case with lid but nothing like that for this
unit. I do not have a flat surface in the cabin to put the unit into so I
was thinking of making a box of some kind to hide the unit which is not that
pleasant to look at. Any suggestions?

Stan

Rusty O June 28th 04 06:31 AM

Stereo equipment in boat--What do you put it in?

Poly Planar makes a nice enclosure for automotive style stereo systems. It's
white plastic with a gasketed smoked front door. It includes a surface
mounting bracket so you don't need to cut a large mounting hole in your
boat. They also make splash covers for built-in radios.

These are available through West Marine. I'm sure you can also buy them from
other sources.

Rusty O

Tim Urbin July 2nd 04 12:59 AM

Stereo equipment in boat

Anyone have experience with Boss marine stereo equipment and speakers? Any
comments?

Tim
Bluff City, TN

Jeff Morris July 2nd 04 01:21 AM

Stereo equipment in boat

The cockpit speakers sound real nice - possibly the best you can get. The
"environmental speakers" are nice also; it seems like the keep improving them
without changing the model number. I used them down below until they were
ripped off, now I'm using the Cambridge Soundworks equivalents.