BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Ham Radio Licenses (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/11316-ham-radio-licenses.html)

Doug June 4th 04 10:40 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Doug" wrote in
hlink.net:

I think ZCZCRJ turned the teletype machine motor on in systems with dead
time.

Yes it was to turn on the machine clutchs.

Did you ever see a Burpee reperf machine? Something like 650 wpm in a
parallel interface (not Baudot serial data). The tape just FLEW out of
them and their motors only ran intermittently. I think they were remotely
addressable, somehow.

Unfortunately, I had to work on those BRPE reperfs. Our computer used to
spit out 8 bit ASCII format tape. Our reader had reel to reel but the ops
used trash cans the tape moved to fast....one trash can for supply and one
for takeup tape. Incidentally, the weird plug in bulb in the tape reader
which we could never get through navy sources turned out to be a Volkswagen
dome light. I loved stealing them out of the ops chief's beetle when he
wasn't looking.

I remember those super secret messages like Admiral to CO...such and such
officers wife is playing around on him...give him leave to return home ASAP.

Doug K7ABX

Larry W4CSC June 6th 04 04:53 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

There you go again Larry. My comparision was between
CW and phone and you bring up PSK31 :) Now that I think of it,
I have tuned into CW signals that I could hardly hear and was
able to get the computer to pull it out pretty sucessfully.

Doug, k3qt
s/v CAllista

The computer isn't anywhere near as good copying CW in noise as it is the
phase-shift (FM?) keying of PSK31. Simply amazing how it can copy signals
too faint to even make out with your ears....

73, Larry W4CSC

James Johnson June 11th 04 11:42 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

Anybody who has worked in the training or educational fields knows of the
problems that "test anxiety" can cause. They also know that people learn in a
variety of manners and have various strengths and weaknesses. And don't
stereotype everyone in a category based on the experience of a few. You sound
like someone for which morse code came relatively easy when compared to others'
experiences.

I worked religiously for one and half hours a day, every single day without
exception for over three months and the best I could do was 4 1/2 WPM, not
enough to pass the exam.

I am a visual learner, those who do well on the code tests are probably auditory
learners. My brain is just not wired the way to make the learning the code
possible in any reasonable fashion. After that failed attempt work and family
demands stepped in to prevent me from spending that kind of time for several
years. By then I was moving into the programming field and haven't had the
desire (or time) to make another attempt like that.

JJ

On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:34:25 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

And if you have a bonifide learning or physical disability,
you can get an exemption from the FCC. My experience has
been that most that cry foul about learnig code do so because
they failed to learn it after two or three evenings of trying. It
takes work, some more than others.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"LLongiii" wrote in message
If you ASK the Volunteer Examiner at the time of testing, they can and

will
arrange for lights, bells or ANY other device to take the code test.

I had the same problem, but eventually passed the 13 wpm test.

The people administering the test will bend over backwards to help.

Leonard, KJ5DL
Advanced Class Accredited Volunteer Examiner (ARRL & W5YI-VEC)
"KJ5DL @ N34 38.253 W092 07.177"
"Do illiterate people get the full value of Alphabet Soup?"

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply

Doug Dotson June 12th 04 02:56 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

Comments below.

Doug
s/v Callista

"James Johnson" wrote in message
Anybody who has worked in the training or educational fields knows of the
problems that "test anxiety" can cause. They also know that people learn

in a
variety of manners and have various strengths and weaknesses. And don't
stereotype everyone in a category based on the experience of a few. You

sound
like someone for which morse code came relatively easy when compared to

others'
experiences.

Actually, code did not come to me easily at all. It took weeks of practice
barely get up to 13 WPM. I was never ever to get to 20 WPM. Peaked
out at maybe 18.

I worked religiously for one and half hours a day, every single day

without
exception for over three months and the best I could do was 4 1/2 WPM, not
enough to pass the exam.

As you said earlier, people learn things in different ways. It sounds like
the
way you were trying to learn was not appropriate for the way your
brain is wired. I was an educator for many years. I have found that in most
instances when a student is having trouble with a concept, presenting it
in a different manner does the trick. Perhaps finding someone to work
with may help.

I am a visual learner, those who do well on the code tests are probably

auditory
learners. My brain is just not wired the way to make the learning the

code
possible in any reasonable fashion. After that failed attempt work and

family
demands stepped in to prevent me from spending that kind of time for

several
years. By then I was moving into the programming field and haven't had

the
desire (or time) to make another attempt like that.

I had the same problem. I am mostly a visual learner as well.

Doug Dotson June 14th 04 05:17 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

That sounds like a reasonable compromise.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

On 2004-05-11 said:
I guess I'm a little behind as well. If I recall correctly, when the
last rule change happened that made 5WPM the speed for
General and Advanced, it was stated that the ITU requirement
was the reason that it could not be dropped entirely. Once the
ITU dropped the requirement, the FCC would iniate action
to follow suit. Personally, I think the code should stay.

I'm with you DOug, but now that the ITU has dropped the requirement
the FCC is wanting to make a move in that direction.

friends and I have filed comments that we think the code should at
least stay for extra as the extra is supposed to be the comprehensive
license for all things ham radio, which means there should still be a
morse component in the extra exam in my not so humble opinion.

73

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

Z June 16th 04 07:12 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

Yeah Larry,
Aint much worth it any more. I worked hard to get my 1st Phone w/Radar
and My Extra (20). Now I have a GROL, and a ham license that any one
with a decent memory can get. Todays license is not a test of
understanding it's just a memory test, short term at that. CW does
offer a respite from the empty babble cluttering up the phone bands.
Cheers es 73,
Scott W7GSM

Larry W4CSC wrote:
"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

Comments below.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Terry King" wrote in message

I believe that 20 years from now, the 'credentialing' that hidebound
'trades' use for self-job-protection will fade even more, and "just-in-
time" Education will supercede the 4-year college model.

I suspect that is true.

The First Class Commercial Radiotelephone license I worked so hard on in
High School is no longer required to fix broadcast transmitters. And the
world has not come to an end. People who can do the job get hired to do
it, and those who can't get fired. Used to be they BOTH had licenses...

I believe that the GROL is required now isn't it?

Nope. No license is required to operate or maintain any radio transmitter
EXCEPT marine or aviation, now. I have a 1st Phone (now expired, dammit)
on my wall I worked very hard to get. I keep the damned GROL giveaway
hidden in a drawer, just because they say I have to have it to work on
marine radios. The old 1st Phone MEANT something to the employers and your
peers. It was a badge of accomplishment. It put you in a fraternity of
technicians with proven skills. GROL is a joke. Just like the Volunteer
Examiner ham licenses, it wouldn't surprise me if you could buy one for
$500 under the table.

By the way, the GMDSS operator and servicer tests are a pain in the
ass....(c;

I passed....

Larry

[email protected] July 25th 04 12:00 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

Jack Erbes August 8th 04 03:19 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

Doug Dotson wrote:

I guess I'm a little behind as well. If I recall correctly, when the
last rule change happened that made 5WPM the speed for
General and Advanced, it was stated that the ITU requirement
was the reason that it could not be dropped entirely. Once the
ITU dropped the requirement, the FCC would iniate action
to follow suit. Personally, I think the code should stay.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

I agree with keeping the 5 WPM requirement. Being able to read an SOS,
read a repeater ID, etc., etc., is a good thing. And it does not hurt
anyone at 5 WPM. At that speed you can take a cheat sheet with you and
look the longer, harder to remember ones as they are sent. Of course, I
suppose there is someone that will have trouble as soon as they got to
those really tough ones with both dits and dahs... :)

-.- .---- .--- .... .

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com

Mark Little August 8th 04 06:33 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:

I guess I'm a little behind as well. If I recall correctly, when the
last rule change happened that made 5WPM the speed for
General and Advanced, it was stated that the ITU requirement
was the reason that it could not be dropped entirely. Once the
ITU dropped the requirement, the FCC would iniate action
to follow suit. Personally, I think the code should stay.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

I agree with keeping the 5 WPM requirement. Being able to read an SOS,
read a repeater ID, etc., etc., is a good thing. And it does not hurt
anyone at 5 WPM. At that speed you can take a cheat sheet with you and
look the longer, harder to remember ones as they are sent. Of course, I
suppose there is someone that will have trouble as soon as they got to
those really tough ones with both dits and dahs... :)

5WPM serves no purpose. Any operator in an emergency using Morse will be
doing so because they know Morse very well, everyone else will be talking to
get the largest possible target audience. If Morse is being sent, they will
be sending much faster than 5WPM, so all these people who learnt 5WPM for
their licence (and then promptly forgot it) will be no better off.

Even the people whose lives regularly depend on good commmunications have
dropped or are dropping the requirement for Morse. None of the recent
"Amateur Saves Somebody" stories seem to have used Morse either.

Morse is like RTTY. Something, for anyone who wants to do it, that should be
encouraged. However, if others don't care to do it, there is no big deal.

Mark

Keith August 8th 04 11:04 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

That sure hits the nail on the head. I'll probably learn it then promptly
forget it through non-use. Same as I did for my old merit badge in Boy
Scouts years ago. I still think it's just a hurdle to keep too many people
from getting access to those frequencies. Whether that's a good idea or not,
I can't say.

--

Keith
__