BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Ham Radio Licenses (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/11316-ham-radio-licenses.html)

Vito June 2nd 04 03:57 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

"LLongiii" wrote

Why continue to complain about something you can't change? It started out

to be
5 wpm for novice, 13 wpm for General and 21 wpm for Extra.

It is now 5 wpm for ALL. Until they drop the REQUIREMENT, it is still

there.

Because we CAN change it. The 13 and 21 WPM requirements went away when
enough people complained. The current 5 wpm will also go away, but only if
we complain long and hard enough.

73, K3DWW

Vito June 2nd 04 04:10 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
Just a cop-out. I suspect that folks learn alot more useless
(and incorrect) things in school than having to learn the code.
The requirement is there, deal with it! Whining isn't going
to make the requirement go away nor will it get a license.

Oh yes it will - just like it made the 13 & 21 wpm requirements go away.
There will be no Morse requirement in five years. Nor can I imagine anything
more useless than Morse code. Those who want to keep the requirement are
usually selfish snivelers who think everybody should suffer the same
hardships as they did. Unable to justify their position on technical, moral
or logical grounds they perforce resort to name calling and referring to
facts they cannot refute as whining.

I participate in my wife's VE team. I recommend that people learn code too -
for now. But if they wait a year or two, they won't have to.

73, K3DWW

Doug Dotson June 3rd 04 12:15 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Vito" wrote in message
"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
Just a cop-out. I suspect that folks learn alot more useless
(and incorrect) things in school than having to learn the code.
The requirement is there, deal with it! Whining isn't going
to make the requirement go away nor will it get a license.

Oh yes it will - just like it made the 13 & 21 wpm requirements go away.

When was there ever a 21 WPM requirement? It was 20 WPM when I
tried it. Incidently I was never able to pass the 20 WPM. Not because
I was learning disabled but rather because I didn't really give a damn
enough to keep studying. I got my Extra class when the requirements
changed. 5 WPM is hardly a substantial barrier, just a psychological
one. A good teacher can get folks past it. I have done it dozens of time.

There will be no Morse requirement in five years.

I trust this will be the case. So you want cruising sailors to
be deprived of the utility and safety of a ham license for
5 years? Most cruisers don't cruise that long.

Nor can I imagine anything more useless than Morse code.

You have a poor imagination. I communicate quite efficiently
using CW. Very good for DX in poor conditions. Clearly not useless.

Those who want to keep the requirement are
usually selfish snivelers who think everybody should suffer the same
hardships as they did.

That's a different issue. On one hand you claim it should be abolished
because it is obsolete, on the other you are saying that hard core CW
buffs want to keep it because other should suffer the agony (which is
a myth) of learning it. Which is it? Obsolete or or a Rite Of Passage?

Unable to justify their position on technical, moral
or logical grounds they perforce resort to name calling and referring to
facts they cannot refute as whining.

Technically, CW is a sound means of communications. More so than some
others. Morally, I fail to see any moral aspects to this. Logically, I also
see no issue. The problem is international law which has lagged behind
the technology. Hopefully that will sort itself out soon.

I participate in my wife's VE team. I recommend that people learn code

too -
for now. But if they wait a year or two, they won't have to.

Good advise based upon the realities now in place. That is where you need
to be. Stick to the reality rather than the politics. Or tell her
perspective
examinees to keep their desires of becoming a ham on hold until a simple
code test goes away.

73, K3DWW

Larry W4CSC June 4th 04 02:04 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

Comments below.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Terry King" wrote in message

I believe that 20 years from now, the 'credentialing' that hidebound
'trades' use for self-job-protection will fade even more, and "just-in-
time" Education will supercede the 4-year college model.

I suspect that is true.

The First Class Commercial Radiotelephone license I worked so hard on in
High School is no longer required to fix broadcast transmitters. And the
world has not come to an end. People who can do the job get hired to do
it, and those who can't get fired. Used to be they BOTH had licenses...

I believe that the GROL is required now isn't it?

Nope. No license is required to operate or maintain any radio transmitter
EXCEPT marine or aviation, now. I have a 1st Phone (now expired, dammit)
on my wall I worked very hard to get. I keep the damned GROL giveaway
hidden in a drawer, just because they say I have to have it to work on
marine radios. The old 1st Phone MEANT something to the employers and your
peers. It was a badge of accomplishment. It put you in a fraternity of
technicians with proven skills. GROL is a joke. Just like the Volunteer
Examiner ham licenses, it wouldn't surprise me if you could buy one for
$500 under the table.

By the way, the GMDSS operator and servicer tests are a pain in the
ass....(c;

I passed....

Larry

Larry W4CSC June 4th 04 02:14 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Doug" wrote in
hlink.net:

I too got my license in 1957 and hated the code. I am in favor of
abolishing it for HF except in the code only portion of the bands. A
code endorsement could be added for those frequencies. The
question/answer pools are a joke, but I think federal policy regarding
them goes beyond the FCC as the FAA has similar stuff for aviation
exams now. Lets bring back the 2 year as a General Class or better
before being eligible to take the Extra Exam. Experience is needed
before getting a 1 X 2 vanity call! I keep running into those guys
(especially boaters) who have less than 6 months as a ham and think
they know it all.

Isn't it also time we abolished this ARRL nonsense of segregated ham bands,
leaving 50 Khz virtually "US FREE" from 14.100 to 14.150? 160 meters works
just fine without ARRL flexing FCC muscles on subbands no longer of use.
Let the MARKET and the hams set what is acceptable and what is wasted.

If we're going to keep it segregated like this stupidity, let's CONFINE CW
to the bottom 25 or 50 Khz of the bands, to keep old farts from using it as
a JAMMING DEVICE up in the phone bands. I've been hearing the CW jamming
for 40 years. CW has no place in the phone bands....EVER.

Larry, since you brought up the NNNN at the end of a TTY message, I
must point out it served an autostop function on TTY machines such as
the Model 28 (I admit to being a model 12, 14, 15, 19, 28 TTYer years
ago) that were equipped with a "stunt box".
Do you recall what ZCZCZRJ did?

My mom got ****ed and threw me and my Model 15 out into the garage, back in
the early 60's. Something about teletype noise keeping her from sleeping
at 2AM.....??? I never could afford a Model 28 until much later. By then,
I was running a Micrologic into a TV. Remember them?...(c;

I think ZCZCRJ turned the teletype machine motor on in systems with dead
time.

Did you ever see a Burpee reperf machine? Something like 650 wpm in a
parallel interface (not Baudot serial data). The tape just FLEW out of
them and their motors only ran intermittently. I think they were remotely
addressable, somehow.

Ah, it's all gone, now. Only noise in Radio Central on the ships is
cooling fans. Pity.....

I remember those "Secret" messages:

Mrs. Jones, wife of Admiral Jones, requests the presence of Mrs. Johnson,
wife of Admiral Johnson, at a tea given in her honor on Saturday, June 18th
at 4PM. RSVP

NNNN

Wonder how much paper this crap used to waste, NAVYWIDE? Probably lots
more than the paper I printed 24/7 back in the Cal Lab (Shop 67B) on board
USS Everglades (AD-24) on the Reuters Press broadcast on 10 Mhz band...(c;

Larry

Larry W4CSC June 4th 04 02:18 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Vito" wrote in
:

"Larry W4CSC" wrote
ARRL wants code dropped? My, my that IS a switch. ARRL has always
wanted to take ham radio back to 1935 any time I've seen them. ....

Like any org, ARRL is people. Uncle Sam made a lot of people learn 20+
wpm Morse before and during WW2 and so many of them became hams that
they controlled ARRL and set policies for their own benefit - policies
that used Morse proficiency to keep others out. But, as more and more
of them retire or go SK things change. New blood understands that the
more active hams join ARRL the more CQ magazines get sold.

I know. I waited 20 years for them to die off so I wouldn't have to learn
20 wpm....(c;

I won.

Larry W4CSC aka KN4IM aka WB4THE aka WN2IWH

I riled an ARRL bureaucrat from HQ at a hamfest a few years back. Man he
was mad. He threatened to have my ham license revoked. I told him when
the damned ARRL could cause my ham license to be revoked, I'd deliver my
ham license to the FCC, personally, at FCC HQ in Washington. Until that
time, ARRL could KISS MY ASS.....

I'm still licensed....

Doug Dotson June 4th 04 02:23 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

Examiner ham licenses, it wouldn't surprise me if you could buy one for
$500 under the table.

I've heard of some getting one for free.

By the way, the GMDSS operator and servicer tests are a pain in the
ass....(c;

I passed....

Agreed. I didn't bother with the Op license, just the Maint.

Larry

Larry W4CSC June 4th 04 02:27 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

I think CW is still more reliable than phone, but certainly not more
effiecient nor is it more practical.

I've been listening to this crap since SSB came out.....

In 1949, it may have been true.

But, I tell you what.....Go download WinWarbler:
http://www.qsl.net/winwarbler/download.htm
for free.

Install it, then simply plug your soundcard's audio input to the headphone
jack on any SSB radio set to USB on 14.070. Pick the faintest PSK31 trace
you can find on that display and click on the trace. Winwarbler will print
perfectly on a signal NO CW OPERATOR COULD EVEN HEAR. Most PSK31 operators
never run over 10 watts. PSK31, by the way, is NARROWER IN BANDWIDTH than
15 wpm CW!

Winwarbler, just to show off, will copy THREE SIMULTANEOUS frequencies
inside the SSB rig's 3 Khz bandwidth this way.

That old CW-in-a-pinch nonsense IS really nonsense, now.

Anyone in their boat's SSB that wants to see what's going on can download
Winwarbler to their boat laptop and tune the Boat SSB radio to USB on
14.070 Mhz, where 90% of the PSK31 traffic occurs. On Lionheart, I don't
even have to connect the M802 to the notebook! The notebook's built-in
microphone can hear the radio's PSK31 warbling tones and prints them
perfectly if there's not too much conversation going on around it!

PSK31 is the most uncanny form of HF communications ever invented....and it
was invented BY HAMS FOR HAMS. Sorry you're stuck on SITOR clicking and
clacking away.

Larry W4CSC and other fine old calls since 1957

Leanne June 4th 04 03:28 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Doug" wrote in
hlink.net:

Larry, since you brought up the NNNN at the end of a TTY message, I
must point out it served an autostop function on TTY machines such as
the Model 28 (I admit to being a model 12, 14, 15, 19, 28 TTYer years
ago) that were equipped with a "stunt box".
Do you recall what ZCZCZRJ did?

My mom got ****ed and threw me and my Model 15 out into the garage, back

in
the early 60's. Something about teletype noise keeping her from sleeping
at 2AM.....??? I never could afford a Model 28 until much later. By

then,
I was running a Micrologic into a TV. Remember them?...(c;

Larry, I was cleaning the garage and found a UGC-20, TT-192A, and a TT-187
under the bottom of a pile right next to a model 33-ASR. It seems like our
garage was the local repository for TTY gear. At one time we had an SB-1210
capable of running 6 loops off one supply. We had 4 loops with a tty demod
on each and then a wide section of equipment that could be patched in. AND
then came computers.............

Leanne

Doug Dotson June 4th 04 03:46 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

There you go again Larry. My comparision was between
CW and phone and you bring up PSK31 :) Now that I think of it,
I have tuned into CW signals that I could hardly hear and was
able to get the computer to pull it out pretty sucessfully.

Doug, k3qt
s/v CAllista

Doug June 4th 04 10:40 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Doug" wrote in
hlink.net:

I think ZCZCRJ turned the teletype machine motor on in systems with dead
time.

Yes it was to turn on the machine clutchs.

Did you ever see a Burpee reperf machine? Something like 650 wpm in a
parallel interface (not Baudot serial data). The tape just FLEW out of
them and their motors only ran intermittently. I think they were remotely
addressable, somehow.

Unfortunately, I had to work on those BRPE reperfs. Our computer used to
spit out 8 bit ASCII format tape. Our reader had reel to reel but the ops
used trash cans the tape moved to fast....one trash can for supply and one
for takeup tape. Incidentally, the weird plug in bulb in the tape reader
which we could never get through navy sources turned out to be a Volkswagen
dome light. I loved stealing them out of the ops chief's beetle when he
wasn't looking.

I remember those super secret messages like Admiral to CO...such and such
officers wife is playing around on him...give him leave to return home ASAP.

Doug K7ABX

Larry W4CSC June 6th 04 04:53 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

There you go again Larry. My comparision was between
CW and phone and you bring up PSK31 :) Now that I think of it,
I have tuned into CW signals that I could hardly hear and was
able to get the computer to pull it out pretty sucessfully.

Doug, k3qt
s/v CAllista

The computer isn't anywhere near as good copying CW in noise as it is the
phase-shift (FM?) keying of PSK31. Simply amazing how it can copy signals
too faint to even make out with your ears....

73, Larry W4CSC

James Johnson June 11th 04 11:42 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

Anybody who has worked in the training or educational fields knows of the
problems that "test anxiety" can cause. They also know that people learn in a
variety of manners and have various strengths and weaknesses. And don't
stereotype everyone in a category based on the experience of a few. You sound
like someone for which morse code came relatively easy when compared to others'
experiences.

I worked religiously for one and half hours a day, every single day without
exception for over three months and the best I could do was 4 1/2 WPM, not
enough to pass the exam.

I am a visual learner, those who do well on the code tests are probably auditory
learners. My brain is just not wired the way to make the learning the code
possible in any reasonable fashion. After that failed attempt work and family
demands stepped in to prevent me from spending that kind of time for several
years. By then I was moving into the programming field and haven't had the
desire (or time) to make another attempt like that.

JJ

On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:34:25 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

And if you have a bonifide learning or physical disability,
you can get an exemption from the FCC. My experience has
been that most that cry foul about learnig code do so because
they failed to learn it after two or three evenings of trying. It
takes work, some more than others.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"LLongiii" wrote in message
If you ASK the Volunteer Examiner at the time of testing, they can and

will
arrange for lights, bells or ANY other device to take the code test.

I had the same problem, but eventually passed the 13 wpm test.

The people administering the test will bend over backwards to help.

Leonard, KJ5DL
Advanced Class Accredited Volunteer Examiner (ARRL & W5YI-VEC)
"KJ5DL @ N34 38.253 W092 07.177"
"Do illiterate people get the full value of Alphabet Soup?"

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply

Doug Dotson June 12th 04 02:56 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

Comments below.

Doug
s/v Callista

"James Johnson" wrote in message
Anybody who has worked in the training or educational fields knows of the
problems that "test anxiety" can cause. They also know that people learn

in a
variety of manners and have various strengths and weaknesses. And don't
stereotype everyone in a category based on the experience of a few. You

sound
like someone for which morse code came relatively easy when compared to

others'
experiences.

Actually, code did not come to me easily at all. It took weeks of practice
barely get up to 13 WPM. I was never ever to get to 20 WPM. Peaked
out at maybe 18.

I worked religiously for one and half hours a day, every single day

without
exception for over three months and the best I could do was 4 1/2 WPM, not
enough to pass the exam.

As you said earlier, people learn things in different ways. It sounds like
the
way you were trying to learn was not appropriate for the way your
brain is wired. I was an educator for many years. I have found that in most
instances when a student is having trouble with a concept, presenting it
in a different manner does the trick. Perhaps finding someone to work
with may help.

I am a visual learner, those who do well on the code tests are probably

auditory
learners. My brain is just not wired the way to make the learning the

code
possible in any reasonable fashion. After that failed attempt work and

family
demands stepped in to prevent me from spending that kind of time for

several
years. By then I was moving into the programming field and haven't had

the
desire (or time) to make another attempt like that.

I had the same problem. I am mostly a visual learner as well.

Doug Dotson June 14th 04 05:17 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

That sounds like a reasonable compromise.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

On 2004-05-11 said:
I guess I'm a little behind as well. If I recall correctly, when the
last rule change happened that made 5WPM the speed for
General and Advanced, it was stated that the ITU requirement
was the reason that it could not be dropped entirely. Once the
ITU dropped the requirement, the FCC would iniate action
to follow suit. Personally, I think the code should stay.

I'm with you DOug, but now that the ITU has dropped the requirement
the FCC is wanting to make a move in that direction.

friends and I have filed comments that we think the code should at
least stay for extra as the extra is supposed to be the comprehensive
license for all things ham radio, which means there should still be a
morse component in the extra exam in my not so humble opinion.

73

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

Z June 16th 04 07:12 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

Yeah Larry,
Aint much worth it any more. I worked hard to get my 1st Phone w/Radar
and My Extra (20). Now I have a GROL, and a ham license that any one
with a decent memory can get. Todays license is not a test of
understanding it's just a memory test, short term at that. CW does
offer a respite from the empty babble cluttering up the phone bands.
Cheers es 73,
Scott W7GSM

Larry W4CSC wrote:
"Doug Dotson" wrote in
:

Comments below.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

[email protected] July 25th 04 12:00 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

Jack Erbes August 8th 04 03:19 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

Doug Dotson wrote:

I guess I'm a little behind as well. If I recall correctly, when the
last rule change happened that made 5WPM the speed for
General and Advanced, it was stated that the ITU requirement
was the reason that it could not be dropped entirely. Once the
ITU dropped the requirement, the FCC would iniate action
to follow suit. Personally, I think the code should stay.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

I agree with keeping the 5 WPM requirement. Being able to read an SOS,
read a repeater ID, etc., etc., is a good thing. And it does not hurt
anyone at 5 WPM. At that speed you can take a cheat sheet with you and
look the longer, harder to remember ones as they are sent. Of course, I
suppose there is someone that will have trouble as soon as they got to
those really tough ones with both dits and dahs... :)

-.- .---- .--- .... .

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com

Mark Little August 8th 04 06:33 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:

I guess I'm a little behind as well. If I recall correctly, when the
last rule change happened that made 5WPM the speed for
General and Advanced, it was stated that the ITU requirement
was the reason that it could not be dropped entirely. Once the
ITU dropped the requirement, the FCC would iniate action
to follow suit. Personally, I think the code should stay.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

I agree with keeping the 5 WPM requirement. Being able to read an SOS,
read a repeater ID, etc., etc., is a good thing. And it does not hurt
anyone at 5 WPM. At that speed you can take a cheat sheet with you and
look the longer, harder to remember ones as they are sent. Of course, I
suppose there is someone that will have trouble as soon as they got to
those really tough ones with both dits and dahs... :)

5WPM serves no purpose. Any operator in an emergency using Morse will be
doing so because they know Morse very well, everyone else will be talking to
get the largest possible target audience. If Morse is being sent, they will
be sending much faster than 5WPM, so all these people who learnt 5WPM for
their licence (and then promptly forgot it) will be no better off.

Even the people whose lives regularly depend on good commmunications have
dropped or are dropping the requirement for Morse. None of the recent
"Amateur Saves Somebody" stories seem to have used Morse either.

Morse is like RTTY. Something, for anyone who wants to do it, that should be
encouraged. However, if others don't care to do it, there is no big deal.

Mark

Keith August 8th 04 11:04 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

That sure hits the nail on the head. I'll probably learn it then promptly
forget it through non-use. Same as I did for my old merit badge in Boy
Scouts years ago. I still think it's just a hurdle to keep too many people
from getting access to those frequencies. Whether that's a good idea or not,
I can't say.

--

Keith
__

Leanne August 8th 04 02:53 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Keith" wrote in message
That sure hits the nail on the head. I'll probably learn it then promptly
forget it through non-use. Same as I did for my old merit badge in Boy
Scouts years ago. I still think it's just a hurdle to keep too many people
from getting access to those frequencies. Whether that's a good idea or

not,
I can't say.

At one time it was necessary to know Morse code, but in the last 50 years,
equipment and techniques have changed so much that Morse is no longer the
primary mode of usage. I was, for years, a fan of rtty art. How much of that
do you see anymore? It seems now that I just have a few phone contacts on 40
meters and although we have all of the exotic digital modes in the shack, It
is just not used much. I guess I have reached a 50 year burnout or maybe,
heaven forbid, maturity.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

Doug Dotson August 8th 04 03:17 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

I suspect that repeater IDs in morse will be dropped as
when if the code requirement completely goes away. In any
case, I believe the ID is sent at 13WPM.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

L. August 8th 04 04:18 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:

[...]

A CHEAT SHEET???????????????

Buddy, if you're not ready for an exam, you're going to fail. Come to my
exams and be caught and the exam is OVER and YOU FAIL. And that is the least
you can expect. Being turned into the FCC for any possible action will be up
to them.

L.

L. August 8th 04 04:23 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

"L." wrote in message
rio.net...

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:

[...]

Rules are rules until they are dropped.... But "I" nor my team will not
allow nor ANY team should or be expect to allow ourselves to be subject to
any punishment as may be handed down to allow a "cheater" to get away with
it. Don't place the exam teams in jeapardy just because you don't like to
follow rules. 5 WPM is NOT that hard. In 2 weeks at about 15 minutes a day,
you can learn code sufficiently to pass that exam.... To not, is pure
laziness. Bitch about 13/20 all you want, but 5 is as easy as it gets.....

L.

Jack Erbes August 8th 04 08:38 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

L. wrote:

A CHEAT SHEET???????????????

Buddy, if you're not ready for an exam, you're going to fail. Come to my
exams and be caught and the exam is OVER and YOU FAIL. And that is the least
you can expect. Being turned into the FCC for any possible action will be up
to them.

L.

Calm down, I thought maybe it was okay to have one.

They seemed to give a lot of latitude when I took mine about 3-4 years
ago. I was told I could answer some questions and "gist" the QSO if I
could not or did not want to copy it all down.

As it was, I probably had the best Morse skills in the room (including
the volunteers giving the test) when I took mine. The volunteers
running the test were having a lot of trouble getting the playback
system to work (about 10 headsets ganged up to a cassette player) and in
getting the tape rewound and staged to where they wanted it.

And their Morse skills were either poor or very rusty. So they said,
this is the test, get ready, go! But wound up starting the test with
the last quarter or so of the final practice QSO still going on and none
of the volunteers had a headset on at that point. I did not want to
raise a disturbance for the other (5-6?) testees so I simply started
copying down everything I heard and turned it in at the end.

After I took the written test they said I had passed the theory and code
tests and I was a Technician with Code.

It is another issue but I am a real bone head on theory and have some
trouble recalling tabular data that pretty much has to be memorized so I
did not pass high enough for the General. But I didn't whine about how
hard that was for me.

Maybe after we get done throwing away the Morse requirement we can throw
away all the info in the test that is not needed by people who buy
radios instead of building them. What about that?

And how about not having to memorize all the things that I would
normally and prudently look up on a wall chart or a handy reference?
I'm getting my first social Security check this month and it seems to be
affecting my memory. :)

But the bottom line is that when you have a structured group of people
that have learned something "the hard way" they expect everyone else to
go through the same hoops to join the group. And they are not always wrong.

I love the code and think everyone should know some. Maybe my 26 years
as a Navy cryptologist, with a good part of that involving the copying
of Morse code, is affecting my thinking. I still enjoy hearing "bens
best bent wire" sent in morse. Heaven forbid I should stumble off band
and hear a crusty old Radioman at NPL calling NPM with a "banana boat
swing" to his fist. I'd probably cry.

Cheers!

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com

L. August 8th 04 09:17 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
L. wrote:

A CHEAT SHEET???????????????

Buddy, if you're not ready for an exam, you're going to fail. Come to my
exams and be caught and the exam is OVER and YOU FAIL. And that is the

least
you can expect. Being turned into the FCC for any possible action will

be up
to them.

L.

Calm down, I thought maybe it was okay to have one.

Calm down? First of all, I'm not "upset". But - you are kidding, right? You
"thought" it was ok to have one? Cheat sheets are NEVER allowed. You weren't
allowed them in school, you surely aren't now either. IF any team EVER let
anyone use one, then it was a fraudulent exam session - pure and simple. ANY
"honest"' VEC and the FCC would stand by that.

They seemed to give a lot of latitude when I took mine about 3-4 years
ago. I was told I could answer some questions and "gist" the QSO if I
could not or did not want to copy it all down.

See my comments above...... regarding the cheat sheets - if you were given
"latitude"..... Be careful what you admit to, the FCC could make you RETEST.
AND if they find you failed, then you and the VEs are also subject to
punishment. The CW tests USED to be either Fill in the blanks OR Multiple
choice or whatever the team chose to use. FIB and MC were the two most
widely used. NOW they are ONLY "Fill in the blanks". You needed then AND
NOW, to pass 7 out of 10 in answers to pass the exam. IF you failed the code
exam written, they could look at your code copy and IF you had the
prescribed number of characters "straight"' in a row with NO MISTAKES, they
could pass you on that. THAT is how it is SUPPOSED to be done.

As it was, I probably had the best Morse skills in the room (including
the volunteers giving the test) when I took mine. The volunteers
running the test were having a lot of trouble getting the playback
system to work (about 10 headsets ganged up to a cassette player) and in
getting the tape rewound and staged to where they wanted it.

Then if you were that good, you shouldn't have needed a "cheat sheet". THEY
should have been General class or above. I don't know.... faulty equipment
still doesn't give "latittude" towards "answers". WE would have started it
over - PERIOD. What you had copied would have been passed off as a "warm
up".

And their Morse skills were either poor or very rusty. So they said,
this is the test, get ready, go! But wound up starting the test with
the last quarter or so of the final practice QSO still going on and none
of the volunteers had a headset on at that point. I did not want to
raise a disturbance for the other (5-6?) testees so I simply started
copying down everything I heard and turned it in at the end.

Then they should have stopped the test and got the tape qued and started
over. That was not a good example of testing.....

After I took the written test they said I had passed the theory and code
tests and I was a Technician with Code.

Congradulations - if you did it "honestly".

It is another issue but I am a real bone head on theory and have some
trouble recalling tabular data that pretty much has to be memorized so I
did not pass high enough for the General. But I didn't whine about how
hard that was for me.

ALL exams have ALL the answers in books widely available. If you had
trouble, then you need to study more. Memorizing answers A, B, C, D - just
doesn't cut it. One does NOT get the proper understanding of it. If you KNOW
the stuff, then the test will come easier. The only thing is, when you read
one of the "widely available" study guides, though the answers are the same,
the alignment - IE; A, B, C, D - may not be. I know a guy who tried
memorizing that way once and failed. The book was shown to us after, and the
answers were in a different order.

Maybe after we get done throwing away the Morse requirement we can throw
away all the info in the test that is not needed by people who buy
radios instead of building them. What about that?

WHY? Then when all the electronics goes to hell, who then goes on in
interest to become those who design and manufacture your stereos, tvs, play
stations, computers, etc. ? MANY who get licensed as hams, go on to be
broadcast engineers, etc. Especially if they're young with the hobby at
heart. The old farts, well, that is another story. SOMEONE has to "learn"
electronics. HAM is usually a stepping stone. Man, they once said this is
the dumbing down of America..... IT SURE IS. With the "I don't want to learn
it" attitude, in a few years, this country won't be worth a good ****. ANY
country who strives for excellence will beat us hands down then........
We'll have a bunch of dumb asses who won't know how to do anything.

And how about not having to memorize all the things that I would
normally and prudently look up on a wall chart or a handy reference?
I'm getting my first social Security check this month and it seems to be
affecting my memory. :)

MAN, that is PURE LAZINESS. For Christs sakes, they're not asking to recite
the Bill of rights! Just a "few" formulas. Why bother reading a "driver's
license manual" to learn how to drive, to pass the exams which require you
to know all the signs of the roads? WHY DO ANY STUDYING???? Why not just all
of us end up a bunch of morons because of laziness? Ohms law is one of the
most basic formulas you can be called on to remember and how to do it. When
I had trouble with it in school in shop class, I was made to write it 100
times. Believe me, I learned it fast. It was tough then - as a teen who was
rebellious against "hard work", doing all that writing, but ya know what????
I'm glad as hell it was drilled into me. Electronics became not only a great
hobby but my business.

But the bottom line is that when you have a structured group of people
that have learned something "the hard way" they expect everyone else to
go through the same hoops to join the group. And they are not always

wrong.

It is only as hard as you make it. ANY THING with work or hard earned money
put into it, makes it worth more. When you have something given to you,
you're more apt to abuse it. Had you not went to school to learn, you
wouldn't be anywhere near as far ahead.

I love the code and think everyone should know some. Maybe my 26 years
as a Navy cryptologist, with a good part of that involving the copying
of Morse code, is affecting my thinking. I still enjoy hearing "bens
best bent wire" sent in morse. Heaven forbid I should stumble off band
and hear a crusty old Radioman at NPL calling NPM with a "banana boat
swing" to his fist. I'd probably cry.

I bet the Navy made you study SOMETHING. And, if you had to do Morse in the
service, then why are you bitching about it now? Surely if you did it there,
you can do it here WITHOUT A CHEAT SHEET. If you were to use a cheat sheet
in the Navy to receive a message of a pending attack, by the time you got
done decoding using a cheat sheet, the message of a Bomb is headed your
way... the bomb has probably HIT.

Look, this isn't "personal".... but I DO disagree with you or that you've
experienced....... Any reference I've made as to a dumb ass and so on, is
not to you - personally. It is in general if things do end up going as you
seem to suggest.

Cheers!

Doug Dotson August 8th 04 11:47 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

Hooah!! I remember a friend that took his 5WPM by writing down the
dots and dashes. Then in the "think-time" after the test he was able to
remember the code. VEs outlawed that practice pretty quick!

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"L." wrote in message
io.net...
"L." wrote in message
rio.net...

[email protected] August 9th 04 12:00 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:52:23 GMT

On 2004-08-08
AMcom said:
as a Navy cryptologist, with a good part of that involving the
copying of Morse code, is affecting my thinking. I still enjoy
hearing "bens best bent wire" sent in morse. Heaven forbid I
should stumble off band and hear a crusty old Radioman at NPL
calling NPM with a "banana boat swing" to his fist. I'd probably

cry. OK, whatever all that means :)

LIked that one, won a qlf contest sending that phrase years ago.

Another similar one I used ot hear was "bens best beer bet."

73

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

"So she said it was either her or ham radio....OVER"

Doug Dotson August 9th 04 12:04 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

COmments below.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
L. wrote:

A CHEAT SHEET???????????????

Buddy, if you're not ready for an exam, you're going to fail. Come to my
exams and be caught and the exam is OVER and YOU FAIL. And that is the

least
you can expect. Being turned into the FCC for any possible action will

be up
to them.

L.

Calm down, I thought maybe it was okay to have one.

I guess the term "CHEAT SHEET" still has the conatations of CHEATING.

They seemed to give a lot of latitude when I took mine about 3-4 years
ago. I was told I could answer some questions and "gist" the QSO if I
could not or did not want to copy it all down.

Those are the rules, not a "gist". You can have good copy, or in the absense
of good copy (perfect I recall), you can pass if you can pull out the
important pieces of info from the QSO.

As it was, I probably had the best Morse skills in the room (including
the volunteers giving the test) when I took mine.

Doubtful.

The volunteers
running the test were having a lot of trouble getting the playback
system to work (about 10 headsets ganged up to a cassette player) and in
getting the tape rewound and staged to where they wanted it.

Has not much to do with their competence in Morse code. :)

And their Morse skills were either poor or very rusty. So they said,
this is the test, get ready, go! But wound up starting the test with
the last quarter or so of the final practice QSO still going on and none
of the volunteers had a headset on at that point. I did not want to
raise a disturbance for the other (5-6?) testees so I simply started
copying down everything I heard and turned it in at the end.

Seems like their competence at running a cassette player it the issue.

After I took the written test they said I had passed the theory and code
tests and I was a Technician with Code.

Congratulations! Now keep studying and get a real license.

It is another issue but I am a real bone head on theory and have some
trouble recalling tabular data that pretty much has to be memorized so I
did not pass high enough for the General. But I didn't whine about how
hard that was for me.

You are a man with character. Just keep at it. If getting a ham license was
easy they would call it CB.

Maybe after we get done throwing away the Morse requirement we can throw
away all the info in the test that is not needed by people who buy
radios instead of building them. What about that?

Bad idea. Most of the theory remaining on the tests deals with being able
to determine if you are operating legally and safely. Off the shelf
rigs don;t come along with someone to install the rig properly and
with someone standing behind you to tell you if you are radiating
legally. Antennas and feed systems are not totally off the shelf and
your neighbors are not required to put up with interference from you.
You have to be able to determine that yourself. Also, homebuilding
is still legal and thank goodness still practiced.

And how about not having to memorize all the things that I would
normally and prudently look up on a wall chart or a handy reference?

Same reason you had to take english, history, math, etc in school. You have
to know a bit about things to understand what the chart on he wall is
saying.

I'm getting my first social Security check this month and it seems to be
affecting my memory. :)

I hope I live so long :)

But the bottom line is that when you have a structured group of people
that have learned something "the hard way" they expect everyone else to
go through the same hoops to join the group. And they are not always

wrong.

I seem to recall having to take a driver's test to get a drivers licence.
And
an FAA test to get a pilots license.

I love the code and think everyone should know some.

Then then 5 WPM requirement should sit well with you. That is pretty
much what it accomplishes.

Maybe my 26 years
as a Navy cryptologist, with a good part of that involving the copying
of Morse code, is affecting my thinking. I still enjoy hearing "bens
best bent wire" sent in morse. Heaven forbid I should stumble off band
and hear a crusty old Radioman at NPL calling NPM with a "banana boat
swing" to his fist. I'd probably cry.

OK, whatever all that means :)

Cheers!

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com

L. August 9th 04 01:08 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
Hooah!! I remember a friend that took his 5WPM by writing down the
dots and dashes. Then in the "think-time" after the test he was able to
remember the code. VEs outlawed that practice pretty quick!

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"L." wrote in message
io.net...
"L." wrote in message
rio.net...

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:

[...]

This in reply to the thread, not to Doug Dotson - personally......

At 5 WPM, if you have enough time to write down the dits and dahs, you sure
in hell have enough time to decipher it in your head. It doesn't take much
longer to write down the letter K for example when you hear -.- as it would
for you to go back and recall it later. So, why not save yourself the
aggrivation and frustration and do it right the FIRST time....? It's plain
and simple... Either you know the code OR YOU DON'T. And if you know it
even reasonably well, you'll do fine..... WITHOUT the crap.

To take a sheet in to the exam with you with all the letters, numerals and
characters and Q signals and such which shows them in dits and dahs - is the
same as taking in with you a cheat sheet with all the Ohms Law formulas,
Frequency Charts, Part 97 rules which you are supposed to know off the top
of your head and so on..... Call it gray if you like, somehow I don't think
the FCC would allow it, if they were still testing. They expect you to know
what you're being tested on, just as your school teachers did. Just before
the FCC quit giving exams, they were in most cases, down to once a month and
quite a drive if you didn't live near a city. IF you didn't know your
stuff, you failed. AND then you wasted a trip and had to wait 30 days to try
again. Cheat sheets? Man they probably would have strung you up, if they
caught you. Actually, the VEs are supposed to check calculators too, to
erase ANY/ALL saved formulas you may have in there, so you "have" to recall
them mentally. The only thing there is, you are allowed to write them down
on your scratch paper from memory - but all scratch papers are to be turned
in with the exams. Writing them on your scratch paper is NOT the same as
taking in a sheet with them already listed. Read the Rules, you'll see
(about the calculators) . Unless they changed and I"m not aware of it, that
still stands. So if that is the case, then WHY would you be allowed a "cheat
sheet"?????

If you got to cheat to get by in life, then what value does your life or any
goals you've achieved - hold?????

The gentleman now ready for his Social Security check surprised the hell out
of me... Folks in that age bracket - I thought - knew what it was to put in
some effort, a hard days' work and get some value out of life. Having served
time in the Navy, which I'm not condeming him of in anyway, I'm surprised he
seems to have taken the attitude he has. To have been trained hard, to put
in effort to get the job done.... I AM SURPRISED.

NOTHING in life worth having - comes free or easy. There is NO free
lunch....... We ALL live by rules... Rules of the road, the bible if you so
choose to do that, the community, FCC and so on. With no rules, man this
world would run amuck and be a hell of a lot worse off than it is becoming
daily.

Furthermore, maybe "my" examples of why the theory are needed weren't good,
but if you don't test at all, then why bother? The ham bands just handed out
like the CB band.... Then what? I'm not condemning CBers either. I know many
good ones. It is the bad apples of the bunch causing the harm. And yes even
the bad apples among the hams that are making Ham radio to become a cess
pool. Giving away a license surely will not clean it up. It can only get
worse. What sir, would you propose if no theory or code, should be done to
get you there? I eagerly await your answer. As Doug points out, there are
STILL things which can be done by hams, and I TOO am proud of it. I've built
equipment from scratch which has saved me hours of labor in my hobby and
business. I continue to learn something new every day. Were it not for hams,
many of the advances made may still be in the imagination stages. Hams
aren't the saviors of the world, but they've brought this world a good ways
into the present. You're still able to make and install your own antennas
which does take "some" knowledge, especially to tune them if need be. OR if
building - to know the formulas to get them to resonate. Many who get on a
radio (CB for example) don't know the first thing of what goes on when they
key the mic. Isn't it nice to know HOW things work or to be able to improve
your system - even if you can't repair the radio due to today's
technology????? There is STILL much to do there.... LEARN IT, USE IT, ENJOY
IT. ONLY THEN - will the fruits of your labor come to pass and you'll then
"APPRECIATE" your time and efforts.

When we WANT to stop learning, to stop trying, succeeding - what will we
have come to? What good will we be to ourselves and/or to others? Why, we
won't even amount to a droid. One can only wonder how terrible things really
will be then. I don't want to take that trip into the twilight zone......
It's ugly enough to think it, let alone experience.

L.

Keith August 9th 04 01:18 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

BTW, I went to the web site to find an examiner for my test. Sent an e-mail
but never got a reply. Anyone know where I can find an examiner for the
Houston, TX area?

--

Keith
__
"L." wrote in message
rio.net...

Vito August 9th 04 02:18 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

FWIW I bought a 13 WM Morse ID'r because it was cheaper and satisfied FCC
rules & wont replace it til FCC makes me.
Howard, K3DWW

L. August 9th 04 03:27 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

FCC IDers used to be set for 20wpm.... "I" personally don't know if that has
changed or not. But if it is listed as FCC Compliant, then I wouldn't worry
about it. Actually, some commercial Iders do sound a bit slower now days!
I've not checked the rules lately OR the market to see what is out there. If
you're using the IDer for Ham use, I don't know that the FCC will bother
you. For commercial, maybe!

L.

L. August 9th 04 03:42 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

IF there are any Ham groups near you, stop by a meeting... OR go to a
hamfest near you if you happen to hear of one being held. There are usually
walk in sessions held. I don't know where you got the address from, but W5YI
keeps a list of theirs. IF it was "their" list, then contact them directly
via e-mail or phone since you're in Texas (if it is a local call for you) -
let them know you got no response, maybe they can refer you to another.

L.

"Keith" wrote in message
BTW, I went to the web site to find an examiner for my test. Sent an

e-mail
but never got a reply. Anyone know where I can find an examiner for the
Houston, TX area?

--

Keith
__
"L." wrote in message
rio.net...

Vito August 9th 04 05:19 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

W5YI lists two http://www.w5yi-vec.org/exam_locations_ama.php
TX Houston 77039 Gary Eades N4IOQ (281) 590-7261 (281)
512-1547
TX Houston 77020 Eduardo Rangel N1LR
(713)
672-6528 (713) 299-2245

Doug Dotson August 9th 04 08:59 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

All the repeaters I use ID in voice now. The CW ID is still there thoughI
suppose to comply with the rules.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

Doug August 9th 04 10:05 PM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com

Nice to see a downeaster on here from Ellsworth. I was stationed at Winter
Harbor in 1974-79 and again 1981-84. Moonlighted as a service tech for the
old County Communications near Ellsworth. We had commercial, 20 wpm IDs on
Bald Mountain between Ellsworth and Bangor, also CAP and Ham repeaters
running as high as 35 wpm.
Doug, K7ABX, CTMCS (USN Retired)

Jack Erbes August 10th 04 02:30 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

L. wrote:

Calm down? First of all, I'm not "upset". But - you are kidding, right? You
"thought" it was ok to have one? Cheat sheets are NEVER allowed. You weren't
allowed them in school, you surely aren't now either. IF any team EVER let
anyone use one, then it was a fraudulent exam session - pure and simple. ANY
"honest"' VEC and the FCC would stand by that.

Yes, as a matter of fact I was kidding. It was a sarcastic comment, not
based on fact, not a recommendation, just a comment. Don't take it too
seriously please.

See my comments above...... regarding the cheat sheets - if you were given
"latitude".....

The latitude I was referring to was in in the way the code test was (or
should have been?) administered and graded. That there were some
options for passing it other than to just copy the code on paper and
hand it in. When the FCC was giving the tests in the mid 60's it was
quite different than it is now. You copied the code and handed it in
and it spoke for itself as I recall it.

Be careful what you admit to... snip

Admit to? Am I on trial here? Do you want to read me my rights? I
passed the tests, code and theory, fair and square in a venue that was a
little disorganized maybe. And I guess my memory is still haunting me.
I remember taking the code test and then taking the written theory
test. You're saying there should be a written test on the stuff sent in
the code test? Maybe there was, I don't remember.

Then if you were that good, you shouldn't have needed a "cheat sheet".

I didn't have a cheat sheet. And I didn't need one, I knew the code.
Again, I said that sarcastically, it was a throw away remark.

Then they should have stopped the test and got the tape qued and started
over. That was not a good example of testing.....

You're right. But I didn't want to get up and stop it. I thought it
might bother the other people who were already copying it thinking the
test had started. Some of them were pretty apprehensive about the test
and being able to pass it.

Congradulations - if you did it "honestly".

Your suggestion that I might not have done it honestly ****es me off.
But for the record, I did. I copied the code, all of it (and maybe
answered some questions too?). Then I took the written theory test, and
got a license.

snip lecture

I bet the Navy made you study SOMETHING. And, if you had to do Morse in the
service, then why are you bitching about it now? Surely if you did it there,
you can do it here WITHOUT A CHEAT SHEET.

Yeah, it did. The taxpayers got their money's worth out of me. And I
am not bitching about learning the code. I was on the "leave the code
in the test" side of the argument. I like the code, remember. Try
rereading my post maybe.

..- .-.

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com

L. August 10th 04 02:49 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
L. wrote:

Be careful what you admit to... snip

Admit to? Am I on trial here? Do you want to read me my rights? I
passed the tests, code and theory, fair and square in a venue that was a
little disorganized maybe. And I guess my memory is still haunting me.
I remember taking the code test and then taking the written theory
test. You're saying there should be a written test on the stuff sent in
the code test? Maybe there was, I don't remember.

NO you are not "on trial". "Some" could have taken your words of the testing
as it having been done improperly. Whether it was your fault or not. That
could result in a retest.

Then if you were that good, you shouldn't have needed a "cheat sheet".

I didn't have a cheat sheet. And I didn't need one, I knew the code.
Again, I said that sarcastically, it was a throw away remark.

Good..... but we're not all mind readers to know where you were going with
that remark.

Then they should have stopped the test and got the tape qued and started
over. That was not a good example of testing.....

You're right. But I didn't want to get up and stop it. I thought it
might bother the other people who were already copying it thinking the
test had started. Some of them were pretty apprehensive about the test
and being able to pass it.

Congradulations - if you did it "honestly".

Your suggestion that I might not have done it honestly ****es me off.
But for the record, I did. I copied the code, all of it (and maybe
answered some questions too?). Then I took the written theory test, and
got a license.

No, I'm not suggesting "YOU" didn't do it honestly. The whole thing the way
you wrote about it, just didn't sound good. If you earned it, YOU EARNED
IT.... Who am I to judge? You alluded to improper testing procedures, cheat
sheets be they off the wall remarks or whatever.... None of it sounded up
front. You lead to the conclusion of improprieties, not us. But I went over
the procedures as they are supposed to be. That is how we do it. We go by
the book, not someone's idea of what they "think" it should be.

snip lecture

I bet the Navy made you study SOMETHING. And, if you had to do Morse in

the
service, then why are you bitching about it now? Surely if you did it

there,
you can do it here WITHOUT A CHEAT SHEET.

Yeah, it did. The taxpayers got their money's worth out of me. And I
am not bitching about learning the code. I was on the "leave the code
in the test" side of the argument. I like the code, remember. Try
rereading my post maybe.

.- .-.

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jacker at midmaine dot com

And I'm damned sure the country, or at least some of us are glad you were
part of the service to the country. To that, I say thank you.

No, basically all I'm saying is it is all in how it was presented......

L.

Doug Dotson August 10th 04 04:41 AM

Ham Radio Licenses

I think the discussion on code has been pretty much beat to death on
every forum I know of. Comments below.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
L. wrote:

The latitude I was referring to was in in the way the code test was (or
should have been?) administered and graded. That there were some
options for passing it other than to just copy the code on paper and
hand it in. When the FCC was giving the tests in the mid 60's it was
quite different than it is now. You copied the code and handed it in
and it spoke for itself as I recall it.

Traditionally, code was graded based upon accuracy of copy. That is
because one was generally copying code that was then sent to the intended
recipient. The FCC finally realized that in ham radio, the only thing that
was
important was that the information contained in the message was all that
was important. If one could extract the information based upon context
then that was sufficient. Thus a quiz about the copied info was given.
The quiz was bypassed in the event that perfect copy was achieved.

I remember taking the code test and then taking the written theory
test. You're saying there should be a written test on the stuff sent in
the code test? Maybe there was, I don't remember.

There has been a test on the stuff in the code test for at least the last
20 years or so. That is unless you got perfect copy.

You're right. But I didn't want to get up and stop it. I thought it
might bother the other people who were already copying it thinking the
test had started. Some of them were pretty apprehensive about the test
and being able to pass it.

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that you were taking the test not
administering it.