wg992000

Default vhf antenna

Looking for suggestions on mounting a vhf antenna to a fsihing arch. Have a
21' WA with a fishing arch that sits aprox 6' above the deck. Want to mount
the radio antenna, but am not crazy about having an 8' antenna whipping
around up there.

Would I loose a lot by going with 5' 3db antenna?

Any problem with mounting antenna on metal arch?

Does it need to be certain distance from external GPS antenna which will
also be up there?

Read somewhere - mount on port side - not sure why - maybe distance from
radio.

Would appreciate any opinions? This groups been great in past.
thanks

William G. Andersen

I mounted my 8' VHF antenna atop the wake board tower of my 19' bowrider;
the only problem is the inconvenience reaching it to erect it for each
outing and fold it when done. I have to step on the seat to get on the
gunwale to reach it. But it works great. My wakeboard tower is a wannabe
radar arch: it's got the VHF, radar, all around light and a patrol light -
I'll add a radar reflector when I make a mount for it.

"wg992000" wg992000@ wrote in message
Looking for suggestions on mounting a vhf antenna to a fsihing arch. Have

21' WA with a fishing arch that sits aprox 6' above the deck. Want to

mount
the radio antenna, but am not crazy about having an 8' antenna whipping
around up there.

Would I loose a lot by going with 5' 3db antenna?

Any problem with mounting antenna on metal arch?

Does it need to be certain distance from external GPS antenna which will
also be up there?

Read somewhere - mount on port side - not sure why - maybe distance from
radio.

Would appreciate any opinions? This groups been great in past.
thanks

Larry W4CSC

Metz Manta 6.....same one USCG uses on all its SAR vessels. Amazingly
good end-fed 1/2 wavelength. No ground plane necessary. Here's a
place that sells it for $39.95!

http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/MET/METMANTA6.html

Guaranteed for life......

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:25:52 -0500, "wg992000" wg992000@ wrote:

Looking for suggestions on mounting a vhf antenna to a fsihing arch. Have a
21' WA with a fishing arch that sits aprox 6' above the deck. Want to mount
the radio antenna, but am not crazy about having an 8' antenna whipping
around up there.

Would I loose a lot by going with 5' 3db antenna?

Any problem with mounting antenna on metal arch?

Does it need to be certain distance from external GPS antenna which will
also be up there?

Read somewhere - mount on port side - not sure why - maybe distance from
radio.

Would appreciate any opinions? This groups been great in past.
thanks

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....