BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   depth finder transducer frequency question (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/10962-depth-finder-transducer-frequency-question.html)

RB January 15th 04 05:37 AM

depth finder transducer frequency question

Hey! Great discussions. Thanks for the thoughtful inputs.

}}} Others have suggested ways
to determine the resonant frequency, but that won't tell you how much peak
power it will handle. I don't know how you can do that without destroying
it. {{{

Guess and go by weight is the only clue I'd have on these unmarked ones.

}}} If one can determine the Resonate Frequency of the transducer, then it
would make sense to go ahead and hook up the
sounder head. If it blows
the tranducer your not really out anything since it would have to be
replaced anyway, during the next haulout. {{{

Right on. Nothing to lose, really. Maybe something gained.

Larry January 15th 04 06:00 PM

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:37:15 -0600, RB wrote:

Hey! Great discussions. Thanks for the thoughtful inputs.

}}} Others have suggested ways
to determine the resonant frequency, but that won't tell you how much peak
power it will handle. I don't know how you can do that without destroying
it. {{{

Guess and go by weight is the only clue I'd have on these unmarked ones.

}}} If one can determine the Resonate Frequency of the transducer, then it
would make sense to go ahead and hook up the
sounder head. If it blows
the tranducer your not really out anything since it would have to be
replaced anyway, during the next haulout. {{{

Right on. Nothing to lose, really. Maybe something gained.

Just a guess, but if the impedance is mis-matched, you could blow out the
output stage of the unit. I'd be careful.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com

Ron Thornton January 15th 04 06:19 PM

depth finder transducer frequency question

Henry,

It's called ultrasound when the application is audio.

Regards, Ron

I don't recieve e-mail at this address because of spam. E-mail me
at crtsrATmsnDOTcom.

Ron Thornton January 15th 04 06:25 PM

depth finder transducer frequency question

Larry,

I don't believe the power rating would be tied to the failure level.
More than likely it is tide to the temperature rise in a specified
ambient.

If I were working with such a device on the bench, I would monitor temp
so it did not exceed a reasonable rise.