BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   West Moron (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/10643-west-moron.html)

Bill Andersen September 11th 03 12:44 AM

West Moron

Why West Moron? I've seen the term several times recently, usually in
reference to something that I think is the responsibility of the buyer. My
West Marine/BoatUS experiences have always been favorable.
If you ask for someone's opinion, you have to respect it as an opinion, not
a fact. I've asked for their help and opinions in identifying features I
should look for in electronic equipment, distinguishing differences in
similar items and in fiber glass repair. They have always been helpful and
never pushy in sales. If they lacked experience in what I needed help with,
they said so. If there was someone else in the store with the experience I
needed, I was referred to that person for help.

Dan Krueger September 11th 03 01:13 AM

West Moron

I'll second that. They have even steered me away from a higher priced product
to one that was cheaper and a better fit for my needs. In my area, there is a
WM on every corner. They are quick to jump on the computer and make the phone
call to the store down the street if they are out of something you need right away.

Dan

Doug Dotson September 11th 03 02:54 AM

West Moron

I have to wholeheartedly agree that WM is IMHO a great organization.
Never had any bad things to say about them in the Baltimore area and
last year all the way down the ICW. That is until we arrived in West Palm.
The WM just north of North Lake Worth was a real shock with respect
attentiveness to customers. I stood at the "service desk" for 5 minutes
before the guy there even coud tear himself from talking to his girl/boy
friend to ask me what I needed. During the time we were in the area
we probably visited WM 6 times. Most times their service was much
less enthusiastic than I have come to expect. Several others anchored
in NLW expressed the same concerns. Perhaps it is a regional thing.

Doug
s/v Callista

et...

Steve September 12th 03 05:32 PM

West Moron

I suspect this 'term' comes from a few of my posts and refers to the caliber
of their in-store staff.

I have not had all that many favorable experiences with this outfit.

I have, until recently, favored doing business with Boat/US because I felt
their sales personnel were more knowledgeable. (Maybe that's because two of
my sons worked there while going to college.) And it was much easier to get
a wholesale (builders account) with Boat/US.

When Boat/US moved out of Seattle, I switched my wholesale account over to
Fisheries Supply.. (Don't be deceived by the name. They have about as much
rec. boat and sailing gear as West Marine.) Plus they have a staff of old
and young pros. Very helpful and not afraid admit when they don't have what
you want (and point you to a source). Also, there is always a dozen or so
helpful staff in the store. They have a separate wholesale counter but the
wholesale customer is still welcome to shop in the retail store and will
receive his generous discount at the checkout.

About the only truly helpful and trust worthy technical info you can get
from West Marine is from the WEST ADVISOR bulletins. I have always found
these to be very helpful and about the only part of my annual catalog that I
ever refer too.

I was sorry to find out that West Marine has taken over their only true,
national competition (Boat/US).

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Mark September 16th 03 06:35 AM

West Moron

"Bill Andersen" wrote in message news:BHO7b.52687$nf3.33402@fed1read07...
Why West Moron?

Only problem with WM is their high markup. I shop there all the time
for little stuff because of their late night & weekend hours, but do
your research on big ticket items. For example, their "T105" six volt
batteries, $110, are available directly from the Trojan distributer
here for $63.

Because of this "high markup" attitude the stores have really changed
over the years, away from low volume low margin stuff to high volume
high markup items; witness how the clothing area has grown as the
goofy PVC elbow section has shrunk. Also, they've bought out food
chains, note all the "West Marine" branded stuff. They're controlling
distributers more as they bulk into a nationwide monopoly, they told a
specialty paint vendor I know they wouldn't sell his pint cans anymore
because the markup wasn't good enough, only quarts.

And Randy is gettin' a little judgemental as he ages; all employees
must be non-smokers, even at home. What's next, no fat people?

Dan Krueger September 17th 03 01:16 AM

West Moron

WM is a business. If you think a 43% gross margin is high, you don't want to
know what kind of money other business are making when you buy clothing,
jewelry, furniture, etc. Even wonder how a store can offer 50% off? You can
bet they are still making money (most of the time).

They are also a service business. Is the Trojan distributor open on weekends
and at night? What kind of overhead do they have? How far did you drive to get
there? Part of that $47.00 in "profit" went to trucking the batteries from the
distributor to the warehouse and then on to your local WM store.

If Boat US was rolling in cash from their store and catalog sales do you really
think they would have handed it over to WM?

You have choices. You can complain all you want but when you are in the airport
or stadium and want a nice, cold beer do you bitch about paying $4.50 when their
cost is $1.00? That's a 70%+ GPM, by the way.

Dan

Dick Locke October 1st 03 06:02 AM

West Moron

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:16:59 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

WM is a business. If you think a 43% gross margin is high, you don't want to
know what kind of money other business are making when you buy clothing,
jewelry, furniture, etc. Even wonder how a store can offer 50% off? You can
bet they are still making money (most of the time).

They are also a service business. Is the Trojan distributor open on weekends
and at night? What kind of overhead do they have? How far did you drive to get
there? Part of that $47.00 in "profit" went to trucking the batteries from the
distributor to the warehouse and then on to your local WM store.

1/4-20 * 3 SS eyebolt at Berkeley WM today: $5.99; quantity I bought:
0

1/4-20* 3 SS eyebolt at Orchard Supply Hardware, 1 block away: $1.69,
including a nut. Quantity I bought: 6

If

Vito October 1st 03 03:12 PM

West Moron

Dick Locke wrote:

1/4-20 * 3 SS eyebolt at Berkeley WM today: $5.99; quantity I bought:
0

1/4-20* 3 SS eyebolt at Orchard Supply Hardware, 1 block away: $1.69,
including a nut. Quantity I bought: 6

Same here, except they were SS screws to hold some protective edging on
the slip I rent. A week later my landlord (sealord??) was complaining
about the ugly rust stains. So, I went to WM ....

Dick Locke October 1st 03 06:17 PM

West Moron

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:12:40 -0400, Vito wrote:

Dick Locke wrote:

1/4-20 * 3 SS eyebolt at Berkeley WM today: $5.99; quantity I bought:
0

1/4-20* 3 SS eyebolt at Orchard Supply Hardware, 1 block away: $1.69,
including a nut. Quantity I bought: 6

Same here, except they were SS screws to hold some protective edging on
the slip I rent. A week later my landlord (sealord??) was complaining
about the ugly rust stains. So, I went to WM ....

Hmm, I may have a meal of crow in my future (and a stain on my deck).

Doug Dotson October 1st 03 07:05 PM

West Moron

I buy all my SS hardware from ACE Hardware. Much cheaper than
WM or BOAT US or any marine store. It is good 8-18 or 316 and
have never had any problems with it. Nor if my stantions, were as good :)

Doug