BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   IPAQ based GPS (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/10606-ipaq-based-gps.html)

JerryK August 27th 03 02:21 AM

IPAQ based GPS

Hi,

I am not sure this the correct place to ask, but here goes. I have an
PocketPC I use to navigation in a car. I was thinking it would be pretty
neat to be able to use the same unit for navigation in a boat. Is there
someone that makes a marine database/appthat will work in a PPC?

Thanks,

Jerry

John Fitzpatrick August 27th 03 08:24 AM

IPAQ based GPS

Several choices--

C-Paq http://www.c-map.com/index2.html
NavPak Pocket http://www.globenav.com/
Fugawi http://www.fugawi.com/indexcom.html
Pocket Navigator http://www.maptech.com/
Pocket Sailor http://www.transasnautic.com/

Article in June's SAIL magazine if you can get your hands on a copy.
Not all the above were tested but NavPak Pocket and Fugawi got the
most praise--most features and read the most chart formats.

CapJack Software got a comprehensive catalogue you can download or
send for too http://www.capjack.com/

Best, John F (Fitzy)

Dennis Pogson August 27th 03 11:29 AM

IPAQ based GPS

Free trial software at www.oziexplorer.com

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.

James McQuade August 27th 03 05:34 PM

IPAQ based GPS

Free trial software at www.oziexplorer.com

--
"JerryK" wrote in message
Hi,

I am not sure this the correct place to ask, but here goes. I have an
PocketPC I use to navigation in a car. I was thinking it would be pretty
neat to be able to use the same unit for navigation in a boat.

Is there
someone that makes a marine database/appthat will work in a PPC?

Thanks,

Jerry

C-MAP/USA does offer charts for the iPAQ. Following is a brief
copy of our
press release.

The C-PAQ Navigation Suite comes with everything you need at an
affordable price, including a Navman® GPS Jacket, navigation software
by Chartworks™ and a compact flash card with C-MAP's vector-based NT+
electronic charts -- winner of the 2002 NMEA Award for "Best
Electronic Charts." Now you can enjoy all of the features found in
charting systems on your iPAQ Pocket PC for only $549 complete,
available through select dealers or directly from C-MAP.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care Department at
1.800.424.2627
for additional information.

James McQuade
C-MAP/USA

JerryK August 27th 03 07:45 PM

IPAQ based GPS

Thanks

Basically I am too cheap for that solution. I already have my own CF card
based GPS.

I was hoping to something like I do with Mapopolis for the car. The
software is free and they sell the maps on a per county basis. You can get
the entire US for $100/year with voice guidence.

jerry

"James McQuade" wrote in message
m...

Free trial software at www.oziexplorer.com

--
"JerryK" wrote in message
Hi,

I am not sure this the correct place to ask, but here goes. I have an
PocketPC I use to navigation in a car. I was thinking it would be

pretty
neat to be able to use the same unit for navigation in a boat.

Is there
someone that makes a marine database/appthat will work in a PPC?

Thanks,

Jerry

C-MAP/USA does offer charts for the iPAQ. Following is a brief
copy of our
press release.

The C-PAQ Navigation Suite comes with everything you need at an
affordable price, including a Navman® GPS Jacket, navigation software
by ChartworksT and a compact flash card with C-MAP's vector-based NT+

Richard Malcolm September 6th 03 01:49 PM

IPAQ based GPS

what's all this about an IRAQ based GPS, oh it's IPAQ

nevermind

sorry couldn't resist