RoyB

Default Seatalk cabling

Sorry if this has already been asked 10,000 times but,,,,

I have 3 Raymarine ST40 instruments, speed, depth, wind. They were
supplied with Raymarine power cables that have the yellow wire
connected at the instrument end but folded over under heat shrink on
the other end.

The wind and speed instruments need to talk to each other to support
true wind. All three need to talk to each other to support single
switch dimming, etc.

Can I simply patch the three yellow wires together as well as the
three red and three black power connections to accomplish this or do I
need some more sophisticated patch box?

Thanks in advance;

RB
Meindert Sprang

"RoyB" wrote in message
news
Sorry if this has already been asked 10,000 times but,,,,

I have 3 Raymarine ST40 instruments, speed, depth, wind. They were
supplied with Raymarine power cables that have the yellow wire
connected at the instrument end but folded over under heat shrink on
the other end.

The wind and speed instruments need to talk to each other to support
true wind. All three need to talk to each other to support single
switch dimming, etc.

Can I simply patch the three yellow wires together as well as the
three red and three black power connections to accomplish this or do I
need some more sophisticated patch box?

Nope. You just tie them all together. They all talk together over the single
yellow wire.

Meindert

Ian Malcolm

Meindert Sprang wrote:

"RoyB" wrote in message
news
Sorry if this has already been asked 10,000 times but,,,,

I have 3 Raymarine ST40 instruments, speed, depth, wind. They were
supplied with Raymarine power cables that have the yellow wire
connected at the instrument end but folded over under heat shrink on
the other end.

The wind and speed instruments need to talk to each other to support
true wind. All three need to talk to each other to support single
switch dimming, etc.

Can I simply patch the three yellow wires together as well as the
three red and three black power connections to accomplish this or do I
need some more sophisticated patch box?

Nope. You just tie them all together. They all talk together over the single
yellow wire.

Meindert

The ST50 series power lead DID NOT have the yellow data wire connected
inside the plug at the insrument end. Check your leads with a meter for
continuity on the yellow wire!

Autohelm even used to sell a junction box for this sort of star
connection, but you were supposed to buy the more expensive data cable and
cut it in half!
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot moulded
wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961