BoatBanter.com

-   Electronics (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/)
-   -   Electrical problem (https://www.boatbanter.com/electronics/10464-re-electrical-problem.html)

Terry Spragg July 8th 03 03:01 PM

Electrical problem

KSB-Virginia wrote:

When I de-winterized my boat I had two electrical problems.

1. The fuel gauge reads incorrect. I replaced the sending unit but it
still reads 1/4 full when it is really full

2. Also at the same time the horns stopped working. I replaced them
both with new ones but still have the same problem. Just like with
the fuel gauge. However, when I disconnect one of the horns , one of
them will work. I hooked a voltage meter to both of the wires and was
getting a 11.5 to 12 reading.

Any ideas without dismanteling the entire electrical system?

Thanks

You should first look at any common connection to battery
positive and ignition switch feed and ground or battery return.
Any conductor shared by these two problems is suspect. You are
looking for a corroded or loose connection. You could have a bad
connection in the ignition switch, which you could prove by
bypassing the ignition switch ("Hot Wiring").

This presumes that both fuel gague and horns are wired through
the ignition switch.
--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

Dennis Pogson July 8th 03 04:49 PM

Electrical problem

"KSB-Virginia" wrote in message
om...
When I de-winterized my boat I had two electrical problems.

1. The fuel gauge reads incorrect. I replaced the sending unit but it
still reads 1/4 full when it is really full

2. Also at the same time the horns stopped working. I replaced them
both with new ones but still have the same problem. Just like with
the fuel gauge. However, when I disconnect one of the horns , one of
them will work. I hooked a voltage meter to both of the wires and was
getting a 11.5 to 12 reading.

Any ideas without dismanteling the entire electrical system?

Thanks

Did you calibrate the new sender before fitting?

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.