Newas

Default Buying a 26X Macgregor

Does anyone have any tips on buying a 4 - 5 year old MacGregor? They mostly
come with a 50 hp Honda 4 stroke. What are the drawbacks of this little
boat?

Thanks

Michael

jchaplain

On Sun, 02 May 2004 15:14:10 GMT, "Newas"
wrote:

Does anyone have any tips on buying a 4 - 5 year old MacGregor? They mostly
come with a 50 hp Honda 4 stroke. What are the drawbacks of this little
boat?

Thanks

Michael

I was looking hard at buying a Mac26x.
In my opinion, every boat it a tradeoff. I have a 24 foot powerboat,
when I really like sailboats, but I don't want to always have to do
the work sailing requires and I often want to get places fast.
The Mac26x is both a sailboat and a powerboat, but it's not a great
sailboat or a great powerboat, but it does do both which is why I
almost bought one. One big drawback is that if you want to always
trailer it it is a pain in the ass to set up.
Only you can decide if it is the right boat for you. A lot depends on
if you trailer, if you will be handling setting it up alone, what you
want to do with a boat, ( also if you want to pay less for gas since
you have sails you can use at least some of the time.)
John C.
Quest0029

I too have thought about one of these
little motorsailers. I recall reading
that one should buy year 2000 or newer
for better build quality. There was a problem
with the steering on earlier models I think.
Good luck
Rick & Linda Bernard

I have heard that at WOT the bow is quite a bit up in the air and it is hard
to see. Never been on one so I don't know for sure but before I bought I
would check it out with a test drive.

It could be that it might need trim tabs.