BoatBanter.com

-   -   Skippy Sycophants (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/99395-skippy-sycophants.html)

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] October 20th 08 10:16 PM

Skippy Sycophants

Dear Skippy Sycophants,

While poor, hapless Skippy certainly has a lot to learn about sailing I give
him credit for at least trying to learn something about sailing by doing it.
My beef with him is not that he's doing it but that he's doing it rather
poorly. He seems to lack the basics. He seems to be going about it for all
the wrong reasons. He's got too big a boat and it's too overloaded with
frivolous crap. Something or other is always breaking down and the repairs
occupy most of his time. It seems he has his boat so stuffed full that he
lacks room for basics like a real spinnaker, cruising chute and probably
storm sails. In other words his priorities are all out of whack.

And then there's Lydia - but that's a whole new story entirely. Suffice it
to say she seems to be about as much trouble as his constantly failing
systems only she's less predictable and, if she's like today's typical
woman, probably ten times more expensive to keep up to operating standards.
I certainly would not sleep well if she was on watch. Why, she doesn't even
keep to the proper side of a navigational aid.

With these things in mind please consider that it's not my desire to attack
Skippy or his chattel. But, I must define THEM in order to define YOU Skippy
and Lydia sycophants. In doing so I can more easily prove my point which is
as lacking in experience, know-how and competence as Skip et al are they
have risen almost to the Lhotse face summit of sailing proficiency compared
to you Mariana Trench dwellers who constantly slobber all over them and the
most mediocre of their dubious accomplishments.

You wannabes demonstrate your hopelessness by quickly running to the defense
of a couple of cruising noobs you seem to think exemplify sailing expertise
just because they manage to blunder from port to port in a mostly haphazard
and lubberly fashion. It goes to show that you wannabes don't have anything
but a lubber's frame of reference to go by or your attitude would be quite
different.

Every time Skippy posts one of his tome-like trip logs there are always too
many mistakes to count with respect to proper seamanship but you Rubes don't
recognize any of them. Perhaps I expect too much from all of you. It's
difficult for me, who notices every unseamanlike blunder they make, to come
to the realization that I am perhaps the only one here who is aware of them
all. I suppose this is due to my many long years of cruising and voyaging
experience. I am also an avid reader so I supplement my experience with the
wisdom of other notables of sailing fame. I am definitely an expert and I
know of which I speak probably to a much greater extent than the lot of you
combined.

So, spare me the platitudes and sarcasm when attempting to disparage my
wealth of expertise. Try listening to me with understanding for once as you
could learn ten times what you know now in less time than it takes for
Skippy to run aground again.

Wilbur Hubbard

[email protected] October 20th 08 11:34 PM

Skippy Sycophants

Wilbur, AKA, I'm too chicken **** to post under my real name, is
orally ****ting in his toilet again.
Retch on pathetic one.

Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] October 21st 08 12:55 AM

Skippy Sycophants

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:34:07 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Wilbur, AKA, I'm too chicken **** to post under my real name, is
orally ****ting in his toilet again.
Retch on pathetic one.

I've always believed that Wilbur's basic problem was jealousy. Others
mentions going cruising, at least in passing, from time to time but it
is noticeable that Wilbur never mentions even working on his boat.

Certainly I don't talk a lot about trips I take as they are usually
sort of "every day" trips - nothing eventful happens (I hope). I did
ride out the Thai Tsunami some 20 miles east of Phi Phi Island, that
was devastated, but at the time I didn't realize what it was. Just a
BIG wave I thought (thank God I wasn't in shallow water).

For example, we are leaving this afternoon for a trip down south to
Malaysia with another bloke. taking the women folks and will island
hop and probably anchor every night. Probably take us three days to
get 110 miles. Spend a day or so in Langkawi, and one or two days
getting back. But hardly something to "write home about".

Another thing about Wilbur. He is there, tearing up the airwaves,
every day. It is noticeable that others in this group go silent for a
while, from time to time, and return to report a trip to "there" or
"another place", but Wilbur seems to be permanently attached to the
Web.... Or perhaps permanently attached to his Eazy-Boy recliner?

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Bob October 21st 08 02:35 AM

Skippy Sycophants

On Oct 20, 3:55*pm, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

For example, we are leaving this afternoon for a trip down south to
Malaysia........But hardly something to "write home about".

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Dear Bruce:

There lies the diffrence between you and Skip. While you wouldnt
consider that trip "...something to write home about...."
Skip would post an epic manuscript detailing every event. Im surprised
Skip hasnt started logging and psoting his BMs and Lydia's menstrual
cycle....
oh, actually I think he did make a vailed reference to her
menstruation. Humm, ever wonder why "men" is in the word men-
sturation?

So to Bruce hearty praise!
Bob

Justin C[_14_] October 21st 08 11:52 PM

Skippy Sycophants

In article , Bob wrote:

Dear Bruce:

There lies the diffrence between you and Skip. While you wouldnt
consider that trip "...something to write home about...."
Skip would post an epic manuscript detailing every event. Im surprised
Skip hasnt started logging and psoting his BMs and Lydia's menstrual
cycle....
oh, actually I think he did make a vailed reference to her
menstruation. Humm, ever wonder why "men" is in the word men-
sturation?

I can see your point, Bob, Skip can be verbose in his trip descriptions.
Some of us (well, me at least) enjoy hearing tales from those who are
doing what it is we wish to do. I am without a boat. I am very
inexperienced. I'm trying to raise the money for a boat and getting in
as much sailing as I can. Unfortunately the only crew places I find are
racing, which, though enjoyable, are not the type of sailing I really
want to be doing. I read this newsgroup to learn from those who have
done it, are doing it, or have other interesting facts to pass on.

While I'm waiting to afford my dream I enjoy living it through Skip and
Lydia. If his story telling bugs you, don't read it!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Bob October 22nd 08 01:06 AM

Skippy Sycophants

On Oct 21, 2:52*pm, Justin C wrote:

While I'm waiting to afford my dream I enjoy living it through Skip and
Lydia. If his story telling bugs don't read it!

Justin C, by the sea.

Hi Justin:

Thank you for your thoughtful post. Your honesty is refreshing.
I began reading this discussion board 1999 and lurked around for a
few years.
I was able to glean lots of info.... mostly from rec. boats.building/
electricts.
But here I find mostly the philosopy of boating and crusing ie lots of
opinions and little facts.
Then there is SKip. Ive read his psot for the very begning.
But on occasion I fear that his posts will be considered by some as
accurate methods of operating a vessel.
Ill let his actions speak for its self.
Now, for you. Good on for wanting the sailing life. Ive always enjoyed
the ocean and boat so i went out and bought one.
Actually it Ive had this one since 2001. It weigs in at 17 GRT. Up
till then it was sailing dorys and such.
If you really want to go sailing........ go buy a nice late 1970s
28'-32 cruiser and hone your skills coast wise first.
Hve you read the Mahina crusing boats that sliped though the cracks
article online??? Do it if not.

Now Skip on the other hand bought the BIGGEST damn thing he could
afford....
and spends 1/2 his time fixing things, half his time writting about
it, most the time complaining sweetly that NOAA weather
dont work, running aground, and motering around a cannel.

But you are correct. I have stoped reading his posts. They are simply
too tirsom. But on occasion I will
skim one and find the obvious baffonish statment that cries for common
sense comment.
Why, so guys like you wont think it is normal seamanship.

Bob

Bob October 22nd 08 01:07 AM

Skippy Sycophants

On Oct 21,

I forgot to ask Justin,
what part of the country do you live?
Bob

Jere Lull October 22nd 08 02:16 AM

Skippy Sycophants

On 2008-10-21 18:52:30 -0400, Justin C said:

Unfortunately the only crew places I find are racing, which, though
enjoyable, are not the type of sailing I really want to be doing.

Understand that, but the only better way to learn how to sail and
handle a boat is racing dinks. Some big-boat owners have never been
taught by someone who knew more than they. They can get by, most times,
but....

Use the time onboard to your advantage. Experience will help you find
the *right* boat for you, too.

--
Jere Lull

Larry October 22nd 08 05:03 AM

Skippy Sycophants

Justin C wrote in
:

Unfortunately the only crew places I find are
racing, which, though enjoyable, are not the type of sailing I really
want to be doing. I read this newsgroup to learn from those who have
done it, are doing it, or have other interesting facts to pass on.

Justin, you've been hanging out in the wrong places!

I've been sailing on some really neat boats for 20 years and have never
owned any of them. Any boat owner is always in DIRE need of HELP to do
all kinds of things to his boat, some as simple as handing him his
tools! It says you're by the sea so you're, obviously, already in prime
country. Now all you need to do is to start hanging out around the
docks on Saturday morning after they've had their breakfast and watch
for that guy carrying stuff down the dock who isn't all ****ed off at
the world.

Ok, you see someone working on something YOU know something about, make
a nice comment about his boat and ask him what's ruining his Saturday he
could be out sailing from. Befriend him. If his demeanor or attitude
turns you off, say a pleasant goodbye and head down the dock...nothing
lost. If he seems to enjoy at least your company while he's pulling the
damned valve out of the plugged head, you've already started the
befriending process. Your mere being on the dock in WORK CLOTHES you're
not afraid to get diesel fuel on...or worse...shows your interest in
boats. A sharp boater EASILY recognizes a potential VICTIM he can
hoodwink into helping him get the damned head working, again. ANY of
his NASTY jobs is PRIME TERRITORY for you to wheedle your way aboard and
make a friend for life! Don't be afraid to mention your best skills in
passing conversations. I'm an electronic technician with electrical and
diesel skills, all 3 of which are like GOLD on that dock. The cleanest
boat you see is an electrical disaster area unless you see full time,
paid crew pouring over it in crisp uniforms. Those bankers, doctors,
lawyers, real estate tycoons and the president of the local Chamber of
Commerce OWN the boat, but have to pay through the NOSE to get someone
to fix anything, even the simplest faucets. NOTHING is scarier than a
lawyer with a 7 figure income holding his neat little plastic tool
box...staring into the engine compartment, scowling.....(c;

I'm nearing the end of my sailing days because of failing knees and the
reality that I don't really belong at sea any more because I get winded
walking to the mailbox. But, not having spent a small fortune on boats,
I've had a lot of fun working on other people's boats. I still help out
and take the occasional daysail with friends. A non-drinker, they
usually like to take me along so SOMEONE can be "captain" and sober for
the Coastie inspection. I didn't come along to drink his booze....I
CAME TO SAIL HIS BOAT!...(c;

These old curmudgeons are never going to get you aboard a nice cruising
sailboat headed out of the harbor on usenet. You need to position
yourself at the dock, about 9ish on Saturdays so they get to know you.
Once a trusted presence, you won't have any trouble finding boats to
play with and sail on....or power yachts, either. I used to have the
run of a Hatteras 56 FBMY that belonged to a local medical researcher.
He doesn't have the boat any more, but we're still great friends. After
they sold the boat, his wife told the two of us she was going to buy us
a Detroit Diesel V-8 on a stand for their garage so we'd have something
to keep us busy on weekends....(c; I spent many weekends in the Hat's
bilge fixing all kinds of stuff....when I wasn't going somewhere with
them as phony captain or crew. (I always tell people I'm "3rd Mate -
Engineering and not to blame for it being aground". That's the
captain's job.)

OK, now what do you do for a living? Can you fix:
Plumbing?
Electrical?
Air Conditioning and refridgeration?
Diesel Engines and transmissions?
Electronics (RADAR, SONAR, GPS, VHF radios, antennas, cables)?
Are you a woodworker?!! Man, they LOVE woodworkers!
You say you're "inexperienced" so I assume you're not a salty sailor.
That doesn't make a lot of difference. Everyone ELSE aboard is a salty
sailor, or tries to look like they are. The boat's overrun with sailing
experts, none of which wants to know anything about why the holding tank
leaks or how to fix it.

The plan is simple....HE has the boat you want to sail on and is quite
willing to let you crew-for-nothing IN EXCHANGE for your particular
skills HE needs, quite badly, to keep us from sailing in the dark
without an engine that runs or a head that flushes. If you can be a
part of that plan, you won't get to sail on his boat. You'll get to
sail on EVERYBODY'S boat!...(c;

One more word, just in case you get the head working before the tide
starts ripping and he offers to take you for a little spin. DON'T ACT
LIKE ONE OF HIS GUESTS. You'll see his guests in action soon enough.
They come aboard, usually with some food or booze to share. Some of
them are good sailors and work very hard to sail the boat as "important
crew", not the galley slaves he really needs. Then, as SOON as the boat
bumps the dock and the first two lines are secure....before even the
power has been plugged in, they are collecting their stuff and heading
for the parking lot....GUESTS on this little harbor cruise, leaving him
with dirty dishes, spilled booze, dirty decks and half-assed stowed
sails in need of C-L-E-A-N-I-N-G everywhere.

If you REALLY want to secure your position and get asked to go almost
every time he's not courting some horny honey....HELP PICK UP, CLEAN UP
AND STOW HIS BOAT nicely upon return....not run off to the party. I
don't leave any boat who's taken me sailing, fed and watered me all day,
UNTIL THE BOAT IS NEAT AND CLEANED to HIS satisfaction....just as if it
were MY boat....which 4 of them became in later years.

"Larry, can you get the boat from the yard, load up the fridge and beer
cooler so WE can go sailing with some of my clients on Saturday morning
about 10?", he'll ask me....(c; "This isn't that trick where you try to
get me to pay the yard bill, again, is it?", I'll ask jokingly....(c;

It's all sitting there at the dock when they all arrive, lines singled
up and the diesel warmed just as if he were CEO of Micro$oft bringing
Warren Buffett aboard for a harbor cruise.....like the big ships on the
face dock. If it sounds important, I even swap my "uniform" (jeans/t-
shirt/sneakers) for something nicer and more socially acceptable.

Man, these nice folks have great boats to play with and YOU don't have
to spend a dime if you're useful!....(c;

Bob October 22nd 08 05:54 AM

Skippy Sycophants

On 2008-10-21 18:52:30 -0400, Justin C said:

Unfortunately the only crew places I find are racing, which, though
enjoyable, are not the type of sailing I really want to be doing.

Understand that, but the only better way to learn how to sail and
handle a boat is racing dinks. Some big-boat owners have never been
taught by someone who knew more than they. They can get by, most times,
but....

Use the time onboard to your advantage. Experience will help you find
the *right* boat for you, too.

-
Jere Lull

Excellent advice Jere.

Its easy to know when you screw up in a 16' open boat............
Your in the water ! I dont know if racing is such a great advantage
though. I know tons of racer types.
Ya, they know the name of every deck gizmo and sail tweak but………..
They also typically have their own philosophical, judgment,
temperament, and skill set liabilities.
Typical yellers and screamers who believe they are always right and
must command the boat!
But that’s just my impression. I wont sail with "im an experinced
racer."

My other advice would be sail a small boat around then go get a deck
job on a tug.
Make money AND learn about passage making and “other” ways to sail.
Its pretty easy. Just go get your MMD from the uscg.
There are a couple other things but nothing a couple hundred bucks and
the ability to fill out a few forms.
Plus you can make $250-300/day sweeping floors and cleaning toilets.
Where else can a janitor make that money???
Oh, and tossing lines. Hell get yourself a tattoo too. Pretty cool.
Enjoy life !
Bob