Anne

Default Alaska on my mind

Hi

Sometimes I consider moving to Alaska (Anchorage/southwestern, eg
Kenai area) - I know the sea kayaking can't be beat! Just wondering
if anyone can shed some light on life OFF the water.

I am particularly interested in what winters are like considering
there is very little sunlight (another question there - just how
*much* sunlight does southern Alaska get in the winter).

Thanks and happy paddlin'

Anne

ann_in_colorado @ yahoo . com

Larry W4CSC

"Gordon" wrote in
:

Earthquakes, storms and blizzards in total darkness from oct to june.
Rains the rest of the time. Best stay in Co.
Gordon

I'm impressed noone has mentioned the intense clouds of hungry mosquitoes
during the months above zero.....

Saw a fishing show from AK not long ago I bet the Chamber of Commerce wants
burned. You could hardly see the fly fishermen because of the cloud of
huge mosquitoes in front of the lens, trying to eat the poor cameraman. I
guess fishing show camerapersonae don't know Avon dealers.....

Larry

Message from SC mosquitoes and gnats, "Send more Yankee tourists! The last
batch was DELICIOUS!"

Glenn Ashmore

Gordon forgot to mention the volcanoes. :-)

I have a client in Fairbanks who has been nice enough to loan me his RV
for some salmon fishing.

Anchorage is actually a pretty nice town. Not nearly as cold as
Fairbanks but not as Quaint as Jeauneau. Mid winter mid day is about
like late afternoon in the real world but in the summer you can paddle
many miles between sunup and sunset. It never really gets dark in the
summer but it is not like Fairbanks where so bright at 2AM it is hard to
go to sleep.

I know nothing about kayaking but there are some rivers on the Kenai
Penensula that look interesting and the Susitna River has got to be a
real trip.

Alaskans are unusual people though. Nobody is actually from there and
everybody plans to leave sooner or later so newcommers fit in fairly
quickly. They are locked indoors for 7 months of the year and when it
starts to show even a little sign of warming up they go a little nuts.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Paul Schilter

Larry,
Someone once told me that the mosquitoes in Alaska bath in "Skin so
Soft" :-)
Paul

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Gordon" wrote in