BoatBanter.com

-   -   Some sailor! (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/97667-some-sailor.html)

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] September 4th 08 09:57 PM

Some sailor!

http://www.zacsunderland.com/blog/

Poor little Zac. He had to give up because he can't seem to keep his Yanmar
diesel running.

Bwahahahhahahahahhah! I told ya so! I told you people that he was
overreliant on gadgets and diesel power. I told you they all would be going
south long before he made it even halfway. He needs to simplify, simplify,
simplify.

So sad that somebody who claims to be sailing around the world can't do it
without relying solely on his engine and a supporting cast of hundreds. But,
I suppose that's standard fare these days where sails are most often an
afterthought and resolute thinking is forgotten.

Wilbur Hubbard

Gregory Hall September 4th 08 10:02 PM

Some sailor!

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
http://www.zacsunderland.com/blog/

Poor little Zac. He had to give up because he can't seem to keep his
Yanmar diesel running.

Bwahahahhahahahahhah! I told ya so! I told you people that he was
overreliant on gadgets and diesel power. I told you they all would be
going south long before he made it even halfway. He needs to simplify,
simplify, simplify.

So sad that somebody who claims to be sailing around the world can't do it
without relying solely on his engine and a supporting cast of hundreds.
But, I suppose that's standard fare these days where sails are most often
an afterthought and resolute thinking is forgotten.

Wilbur Hubbard

You're right! And did you notice he was motoring out of the harbor into a
headwind and then when the motor quit he unrolled the genoa and tried to
tack back into the harbor? Then he had to be towed.

Strange winds out that way. I guess they blow both ways at the same time.

--
Gregory Hall

David L. Martel September 4th 08 11:44 PM

Some sailor!

Wilbur,

I don't think he has given up. I think he put in for repairs. Where does
he say he has given up? I'm at a loss to figure out why your describe him as
relying solely on his engine since he does seem to use his sails.

Dave M.

Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] September 5th 08 12:08 AM

Some sailor!

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
Wilbur,

I don't think he has given up. I think he put in for repairs. Where does
he say he has given up? I'm at a loss to figure out why your describe him
as relying solely on his engine since he does seem to use his sails.

Dave M.

He claims to be trying to break the record for the youngest person to sail
around the world single-handed.

That's a crock of hock and we all know it. He's used his engine a lot. Wore
the damned thing slap out already. He's had plenty of help from people
flying all over the world to meet him at every port and pull his fat out of
the fire. He is *******izing the very idea of a single-handed
circumnavigation under sail. Now, it's got to the point where he has to turn
back after lounging around the yacht club for two weeks because his engine
quits again.

Seems to me Knox-Johnston didn't even have an engine. I don't think it was
allowed. And his was a non-stop circumnavigation. Now we have some snot-nose
motor-sailing by committee trying to claim a record? A record for what?
Motoring halfway around the world with the help of hundreds of people and
stopping every couple hundred miles to stuff his face in yacht clubs.

That's pretty pathetic, IMHO.

Wilbur Hubbard

[email protected] September 5th 08 12:46 AM

Some sailor!

On Sep 4, 2:02*pm, "Gregory Hall" wrote:
You're right! And did you notice he was motoring out of the harbor into a
headwind and then when the motor quit he unrolled the genoa and tried to
tack back into the harbor? Then he had to be towed.

Strange winds out that way. I guess they blow both ways at the same time.

To get out of Port Morsby in the typical SE trades you need to beat
out of the harbor until you get to the pass in the barrier reef at
which point you should be able to reach through the pass. If you were
motoring to the pass or in the pass and your engine were to fail you
would be on a lee shore and would need to beat off of it. The
entrance to the yacht basin is tricky because of the coral heads and
because the break in the seawall is small. Currents within the
barrier reef can be quite strong, too. The reason the call it the
Coral Sea is because there is a whole lot of coral in it. I don't know
anything about the guy and I think this kind of record breaking is
kind of silly, but if he says his engine failed and he had to beat off
of a lee shore why scoff?

-- Tom.

Gregory Hall September 5th 08 01:12 AM

Some sailor!

wrote in message
[...]

reply

I scoff because I can take a look-see using Google Maps.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworl...rt_Moresby.htm

You might want to zoom it in a couple notches so you can see the reef and
other obstructions. And you can readily see if there's a headwind leaving
port then there will be a tailwind returning to port. You can also see the
area is wide open with few dangers and obstructions until you get to the
pass in the outlying reef proper.

Zac lied or embellished for effect. It's patently obviously. You can
actually see the prevailing winds resulting in a headwind coming into the
pass. The waves show it. You can even see some ships and one heading into
the pass.

--
Gregory Hall

[email protected] September 5th 08 02:09 AM

Some sailor!

On Sep 4, 5:12*pm, "Gregory Hall" wrote:
I scoff because I can take a look-see using Google Maps.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworl...rt_Moresby.htm

You might want to zoom *it in a couple notches so you can see the reef and
other obstructions. And you can readily see if there's a headwind leaving
port then there will be a tailwind returning to port. You can also see the
area is wide open with few dangers and obstructions until you get to the
pass in the outlying reef proper. ...

Nice picture. I have a chart of the area. It is a bit reefier than
you might guess from the photo. The entrance to the yacht harbor is
particularly full of bommies and they don't show at all in the sat
pic. The prevailing winds in that area are the SE trades but, of
course, I don't know what Zac was seeing. The waves that you see in
the pass are likely refractions from incoming surf rather than wind
waves. I'm not going to argue that Zac is telling God's own truth.
He is, after all, a sailor selling a drama. I also don't know where
he was when his motor went south. Still, it is very possible that
when his engine quit he was drifting onto a dangerous lee shore. If
he was near the Basilisk Passage in a SE'r'ly then he'd be hard on the
wind on stb to return to the harbor. I admit, I'm guessing about the
particulars but, the story is not beyond belief to me.

-- Tom.

Roger Long September 5th 08 02:40 AM

Some sailor!

From his blog:

The faulty oil pressure sensor inside the engine turned out to be the
problem. The guys at Lohbergers didn't have the exact one for my engine so
they had to machine the one they had to fit my engine. Everything was
running well so I got everything prepped to go. Martin gave me a hand with
decommissioning my dingy. I said my goodbyes and checked out of the yacht
club. Around 4:00pm I dropped the mooring and headed out into the bay. It
was blowing a good 25 knots, gusting higher and right on the nose so
progress was slow. The way out of the port is a bit tricky at the best of
times with two large reefs and lots of shipping. As I headed out I had to
dodge a tug towing a barge. Right as I got past it the engine stopped dead!
I tried to start it again with no success. So now it's blowing 27 knots
blowing me on a reef about half a mile away. I spun the boat around, pulled
out the genny and turned back toward the yacht club about 2 miles a way
sailing in between massive container ships all the while trying to make
enough up wind progress to clear the reef. It was tricky but I was managing
OK tacking back and forth in 25s and 30s so I ran down below and called the
yacht club for a tow in. Their guys had gone home and it was going to be 30
mins before I could be towed in. I had to kill time tacking back and forth
in between ships trying to stay away from the the patches with sunken ships
that were only a few feet beneath the surface but invisible til you're right
on top of them. After about of 20 minutes of tacking around off the mouth of
the yacht club the guys came out and towed me back into a mooring. I got my
dinghy out, set it all up and went in for dinner at the club. I got back to
the boat for a good sleep - all the stress is exhausting. This morning I've
been working with some mechanics to drain my tank and hook out whatever is
inside.

Endquote.

I'd agree with the OP subject line but without the sarcasm. Well handled
under trying circumstances for someone so young.

--
Roger Long

[email protected] September 5th 08 09:17 PM

Some sailor!

On Sep 4, 8:40*pm, "Roger Long" wrote:

I'd agree with the OP subject line but without the sarcasm. *Well handled
under trying circumstances for someone so young.

--
Roger Long

The OP is very intimadated by Zac. I think he is a dis-abled bitter
old fool.

Neal hates Zac

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.” G. B. Shaw

Fred

David L. Martel September 6th 08 12:11 AM

Some sailor!

Wilbur,

They weren't hard questions. Let's try again Where in his blog (or
anywhere else) does he say he has given up? Why do you believe that he is