Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Parallax

Default internal/external ballast

I frequently hear the supposed virtues of external ballast when
somebody hits a rock and says it absorbed the impact so they got no
water in the boat. Does this make sense? Most internal ballast is
encapsulated so an impact to it would not let in any water. I also
hear horror stories about external ballast keels on older boats coming
loose resulting in very expensive reapirs or drilling into thick lead
to install new keel bolts. So, why is external ballast supposedly
better?

Am I chasing my tail?? AP Boat Building 13 November 10th 03 01:56 PM
Putting ballast to work Parallax Cruising 15 November 9th 03 10:38 PM
Bilge Pump Switch Gould 0738 General 31 November 1st 03 10:08 PM
Catalina 250 Byron Knight Cruising 46 October 27th 03 05:22 PM
Adding lead ballast Lorence M Boat Building 0 July 9th 03 02:19 AM