BoatBanter.com

-   -   bought a GPS (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9666-bought-gps.html)

Cole April 12th 04 08:58 PM

bought a GPS

" Now, to see how it does on the boat.

If you listen to the VHF much you'll find that among the first things any
rescue agency (C.G., Seatow, etc) asks for is GPS Lat/Lon. After a portable
VHF, I consider a alkaline battery powered GPS vital...

Aaron May 13th 04 10:03 PM

bought a GPS

wrote in :
Don't rely on the gps for altitude. I recall sailing down the ICW
last summer and observing the gps telling me I was converted from a
sub (-40 feet) to a plane (+50 feet) within a few miles. I was seldom
at sea level.

Jim.

My GPS has a 2D & 3D mode... it is suposed to be more accurate if you put
it in 2D mode telling it that your elevation is constant.

Aaron