BoatBanter.com

-   -   dock lines - cleaning (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/96299-dock-lines-cleaning.html)

Hanz Schmidt July 20th 08 09:34 PM

dock lines - cleaning

What is the best way to clean dock lines (3-strans nylon)??

And how to make them 'softener??

Hanz

Gregory Hall July 20th 08 09:41 PM

dock lines - cleaning

"Hanz Schmidt" wrote in message
What is the best way to clean dock lines (3-strans nylon)??

And how to make them 'softener??

Hanz

Sounds like a girly man question to me, Hanz. Worrying about soft and pretty
dock lines???

My advice. Go sailing and don't worry your pretty little head about them.
Sheeesh!

--
Gregory Hall

Bob July 20th 08 09:42 PM

dock lines - cleaning

On Jul 20, 12:34*pm, Hanz Schmidt wrote:
What is the best way to clean dock lines (3-strans nylon)??

And how to make them 'softener??

Hanz

The short answer is DONT......

The correct answer is go to a cordage manufature's web site and read
it for yourself. Your line, if of high quality, will have a coating to
help reduce water retention... If you clean the line you may risk
removing the protective coating. THen the line soaks up water and the
breaking strength is reduced significantly.

Read the instructions.................. :)

But if its cheep ****ty line I recomend a 3000 PSI power washer with
the most agresssive detergent.solvent you can find.
After spening an hour blowing down the line THEN you can throw it
away...............

Bob

Capt. JG July 21st 08 12:08 AM

dock lines - cleaning

"Hanz Schmidt" wrote in message
What is the best way to clean dock lines (3-strans nylon)??

And how to make them 'softener??

Hanz

Don't bother. You'll just ruin the line. They're not that expensive to
replace compared to the cost of damage if one or more breaks.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Ernest Scribbler July 21st 08 01:22 AM

dock lines - cleaning

"Hanz Schmidt" wrote
What is the best way to clean dock lines (3-strans nylon)??
And how to make them 'softener??

If the hardness is due to sun and age, there's nothing to do but replace
them. If they're just dirty, a good soak in some mild detergent solution
should do the trick. Sodium percarbonate (oxiclean) shouldn't harm the fiber
but stay away from chlorine bleach. The warnings to never wash rope are a
little over the top in my opinion. Climbers wash theirs, and they have a lot
on the line, so to speak.
http://www.cmi-gear.com/catalog/ropes/washer.asp
http://www.blueridgearboristsupplies...php?itemID=170

Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] July 21st 08 02:04 AM

dock lines - cleaning

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:42:52 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

On Jul 20, 12:34*pm, Hanz Schmidt wrote:
What is the best way to clean dock lines (3-strans nylon)??

And how to make them 'softener??

Hanz

The short answer is DONT......

The correct answer is go to a cordage manufature's web site and read
it for yourself. Your line, if of high quality, will have a coating to
help reduce water retention... If you clean the line you may risk
removing the protective coating. THen the line soaks up water and the
breaking strength is reduced significantly.

Read the instructions.................. :)

But if its cheep ****ty line I recomend a 3000 PSI power washer with
the most agresssive detergent.solvent you can find.
After spening an hour blowing down the line THEN you can throw it
away...............

Bob

Following from: http://www.neropes.com/LineCare.aspx

(that is New england Ropes, by the way)

Dirt and Cleaning
Dirt and salt can cause premature wear. Frequently wash rope and
running rigging with fresh water. For a more thorough cleaning, soak
your rope in warm water mixed with a mild detergent. Add a small
amount of fabric softener to soften the rope. When possible, use a
front loading washing machine; otherwise, wash your rope in a mesh bag
or pillowcase to avoid tangling. Rinse thoroughly and hang to dry in
indirect sunlight.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Bill Kearney July 21st 08 03:31 AM

dock lines - cleaning

wash your rope in a mesh bag

Definitely a good plan. Otherwise you end up with a knot of Gordian
proportion. That and the agitator will probably wind the line up tight
enough to put way too much stress on the fibers.

Larry July 21st 08 05:41 AM

dock lines - cleaning

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

When possible, use a
front loading washing machine;

Yep...brought home the lot and washed in my front loader Frigidaire with
the usual cheap detergent. Lines looked new and salt stiffness gone.

If you're squeemish about salt water in your $4000 super washer 5000, take
them to a laundromat without an attendant that has front loader commercial
machines.

DO REMEMBER TO TAKE ANY ANCHORS AND HEAVY TACKLE OFF THE LINES!

Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] July 21st 08 06:34 AM

dock lines - cleaning

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 04:41:26 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

When possible, use a
front loading washing machine;

Yep...brought home the lot and washed in my front loader Frigidaire with
the usual cheap detergent. Lines looked new and salt stiffness gone.

If you're squeemish about salt water in your $4000 super washer 5000, take
them to a laundromat without an attendant that has front loader commercial
machines.

DO REMEMBER TO TAKE ANY ANCHORS AND HEAVY TACKLE OFF THE LINES!

I recently washed all the lines, except the cable to rope halyards, in
the home washing machine, actually I carried them home and my wife
washed them as I am not considered sophisticated enough to run the
washes and put in all the correct chemicals in the correct holes. But
I digress.

We washed each line separately and stuffed it into a mesh bag before
washing. The same dose of soap and fabric softener was used for each
line. Everything went well until we washed the spinnaker halyard,
about 90 ft. of 1/2 inch double braid. When that came out of the
washer threads from the inner braid were pulled out through the outer
braid in small loops about every 3 ft. for nearly the length of the
line. The size of the loops were all approximately the same size and
were equally spaced along the line.

Anybody got any idea what happened? I really don;t ant to be buying a
new piece of rope every time I wash it.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Rosalie B. July 21st 08 01:51 PM

dock lines - cleaning

Larry wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

When possible, use a
front loading washing machine;

Yep...brought home the lot and washed in my front loader Frigidaire with
the usual cheap detergent. Lines looked new and salt stiffness gone.

If you're squeemish about salt water in your $4000 super washer 5000, take
them to a laundromat without an attendant that has front loader commercial
machines.

DO REMEMBER TO TAKE ANY ANCHORS AND HEAVY TACKLE OFF THE LINES!

LOL

Our anchor is all chain on the primary rode, and we've never used the
alternate anchors that we have, so that should be 'like new'

Bob brings home the lines when we put the boat up in the winter, and
washes them in our washer. We have about 14 docklines that we use on
a regular basis plus some that are on the pin rails for use when we go
into another marina, so this takes him awhile. He usually dries them
on the front porch.

Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] July 21st 08 02:56 PM

dock lines - cleaning

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:51:43 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Larry wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
m:

[...]

Tell Bob that my wife washes ours (I'm not allowed to use the washer
since I tried degreasing some engine parts in it one day).

Regarding anchor chain. I have just spent about a month in the yard. A
chap I know came dragging his "new" anchor chain down to his boat. It
was all black so I went over to have a look. He paints his entire
chain and anchor with coal tar epoxy once a year says it looks like
the chain is going to last for ever.

He has a workshop here (builds Warram Cats) and has people to paint it
for him but I've been mulling the idea over -- my wife paints her
fingernails. I wonder whether she'd like black nails?

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Richard Casady July 21st 08 03:46 PM

dock lines - cleaning

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:31:19 -0400, "Bill Kearney"
wrote:

hat and the agitator will probably wind the line up tight
enough to put way too much stress on the fibers.

I think probably the drive belt will slip. If not the motor will
overheat, perhaps fatally. I don't think damage to the line is not so
likely, not enough power.

Casady

Don White July 21st 08 04:44 PM

dock lines - cleaning

"Larry" wrote in message
Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

When possible, use a
front loading washing machine;

Yep...brought home the lot and washed in my front loader Frigidaire with
the usual cheap detergent. Lines looked new and salt stiffness gone.

If you're squeemish about salt water in your $4000 super washer 5000, take
them to a laundromat without an attendant that has front loader commercial
machines.

DO REMEMBER TO TAKE ANY ANCHORS AND HEAVY TACKLE OFF THE LINES!

I've heard of people putting liquid fabric softner in the rinse for their
docklines.
Not sure if that was for the braided version.

Capt. JG July 21st 08 05:20 PM

dock lines - cleaning

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Larry wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
m:

When possible, use a
front loading washing machine;

Yep...brought home the lot and washed in my front loader Frigidaire with
the usual cheap detergent. Lines looked new and salt stiffness gone.

If you're squeemish about salt water in your $4000 super washer 5000, take
them to a laundromat without an attendant that has front loader commercial
machines.

DO REMEMBER TO TAKE ANY ANCHORS AND HEAVY TACKLE OFF THE LINES!

LOL

Our anchor is all chain on the primary rode, and we've never used the
alternate anchors that we have, so that should be 'like new'

In this case, you don't need to remove the anchor before washing the rode.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bill Kearney July 22nd 08 03:09 AM

dock lines - cleaning

I think probably the drive belt will slip. If not the motor will
overheat, perhaps fatally. I don't think damage to the line is not so
likely, not enough power.

Why bother to 'think' about it? Avoid putting the added stress on the
fibers within the line. Indeed, there's not enough power in most washers to
destroy the line outright. But fray enough of the fibers within the strand
and find out later, when it's undoubtedly least convenient.

Jere Lull July 23rd 08 08:20 AM

dock lines - cleaning

On 2008-07-20 19:08:46 -0400, "Capt. JG" said:

"Hanz Schmidt" wrote in message
What is the best way to clean dock lines (3-strans nylon)??

And how to make them 'softener??

Hanz

Don't bother. You'll just ruin the line. They're not that expensive to
replace compared to the cost of damage if one or more breaks.

I tend towards this answer for different reasons, though many of the
other answers are technically correct.

Most don't replace dock lines often enough. A roll of 3-strand isn't
that expensive and it's a great time to practice your marlinspike work.
(You *do* splice loops in both ends of your "home" lines so your crew
simply has to drop the lines on, don't you?)

--
Jere Lull

Rosalie B. July 23rd 08 02:35 PM

dock lines - cleaning

On 2008-07-20 19:08:46 -0400, "Capt. JG" said:

"Hanz Schmidt" wrote in message
What is the best way to clean dock lines (3-strans nylon)??

And how to make them 'softener??

Hanz

Don't bother. You'll just ruin the line. They're not that expensive to
replace compared to the cost of damage if one or more breaks.

I tend towards this answer for different reasons, though many of the
other answers are technically correct.

Most don't replace dock lines often enough. A roll of 3-strand isn't
that expensive and it's a great time to practice your marlinspike work.
(You *do* splice loops in both ends of your "home" lines so your crew
simply has to drop the lines on, don't you?)

Bob has the loops on one end. Our home lines (of which there are 14)
have the loop end on the dock with chafe protection sewn on at the
spot where the line goes through the chocks or hause holes. So when
we dome back to the dock, we pick the line up from the piling where it
had been looped as we left and bring it aboard and tie it off in the
boat.

When Bob puts lines out for visiting another marina, he puts the loop
end on the boat, runs the line out through the hawse hole, and brings
the line back over the life lines so that I can toss the end to a dock
person. Or occasionally loop the line around the piling and bring it
back aboard so that when we leave, I just have to pull the line off
the piling.

It has been suggested to him that he needs to give the loop end to the
dock person because the dock people often don't tie off correctly, but
he has not listened.

If you have loops on both ends, how do you adjust the length? When
we leave the boat, we leave it adjusted to the middle of the slip
(with spring lines) so when we come to get on the boat, we slacken the
lines on one side so that the boat can come over to the pier and we
can get on. How can you do that with loops on both ends?

Capt. JG July 23rd 08 04:27 PM

dock lines - cleaning

On 2008-07-20 19:08:46 -0400, "Capt. JG" said:

[...]

I have loops on one end only. I leave my dock lines on the dock most of the
time and have others I take with me. I don't every rely on someone standing
on the dock to "help" docking the boat, no matter what kind of funny hat
they're wearing. I had a friend who was teaching not realize one of his
students did that... tossed a line to somoene standing on the dock, then the
instructor had to abort the landing, and the joker wouldn't let go of the
line. He got dragged into the water! He didn't let go until he got pulled
quite aways...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jere Lull July 24th 08 02:53 AM

dock lines - cleaning

On 2008-07-23 09:35:00 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

Jere Lull wrote:

(You *do* splice loops in both ends of your "home" lines so your crew
simply has to drop the lines on, don't you?)

Bob has the loops on one end.snip

If you have loops on both ends, how do you adjust the length? When we
leave the boat, we leave it adjusted to the middle of the slip (with
spring lines) so when we come to get on the boat, we slacken the lines
on one side so that the boat can come over to the pier and we can get
on. How can you do that with loops on both ends?

I carefully set our lines at "home" as loose as I could without
allowing the boat to contact any of the pilings or docks, but *lots* of
slack so we could drift backwards. Then I powered the boat every which
way I could to ensure most unreasonable winds wouldn't blow us into
anything. That determined the length of the lines I made up.

The "outside" stern line has two loops: one for while we're away, one
that allows us to bring the boat to the finger pier.

Works great for us.

Isabelle proved that I got it almost right. The surge was within inches
of needing to cut the shortest line, but we otherwise survived by just
moving the lines to the tops of the pilings and pinning them with nails.

Come the next storm storm, I flip the boat end-for-end and add the two
new lines to the next pilings over for the stern. If *they* need
adjusting, boating on the Bay will no longer exist, as Isabelle
exceeded the worst surge in 75 years and wasn't far off from destroying
everything.

Our home lines (of which there are 14)

I don't believe I've seen a boat or slip situation that required 14
lines under normal conditions. Six: two bow, two stern, and two spring
(to keep the bow off the dock) should be all that's required. NO
springs to keep the boat from drifting back, as it just won't move that
far. [I do have a short "spring" that I set on the "inside" main winch
to give me positive control. That's the first to cut, of course, if the
other longer lines are set.]

Then again, we're small, our dock lines relatively large, and our
slip's relatively wide.

--
Jere Lull

Jere Lull July 24th 08 02:57 AM

dock lines - cleaning

On 2008-07-23 09:35:00 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

If you have loops on both ends, how do you adjust the length?

Oh, didn't actually say: At "home", we don't adjust them ever. They're
set for the life of the line.

Our "away" lines at most have one loop since they need adjustment.

We use old sheets (no loops) under certain conditions -- they can be
thrown quite a distance. Handy when warping raft-mates in.

--
Jere Lull

Richard Casady July 24th 08 04:19 AM

dock lines - cleaning

On 2008-07-23 09:35:00 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

If you have loops on both ends, how do you adjust the length?

Oh, didn't actually say: At "home", we don't adjust them ever. They're
set for the life of the line.

Our "away" lines at most have one loop since they need adjustment.

We use old sheets (no loops) under certain conditions -- they can be
thrown quite a distance. Handy when warping raft-mates in.

If you want to go through the Panama Canal you are required to have
four 150 foot lines.

Casady

Roger Long July 24th 08 12:21 PM

dock lines - cleaning

I don't do anything special with "home" docklines. Docking and undocking at
home is the practice for being able to handle other situations smoothly. I
don't want to make it easier.

It's probably a mindset left over from my flying days when you go out and
just do take offs and landings over and over without stopping.

--
Roger Long

Rosalie B. July 24th 08 02:16 PM

dock lines - cleaning

On 2008-07-23 09:35:00 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

Jere Lull wrote:

[...]

This is a picture of our boat at low tide on Friday after Isabelle
when through on Thursday.

http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasle...fterisabel.jpg

The water was still up about knee level over the dock. At the height
of the storm the water was up to the top of the pilings. (The guy who
was in the slip next to us hauled his boat for the storm).

In our slip (fixed docks-50 foot slip), we have pilings on each side
of the slip, but at the end of the slip there are only cleats on the
dock. So in preparation for the storm, we had to run lines across the
dock to the other side where there were pilings. Bob didn't want to
get his feet wet, but I waded out along the dock to check on things
(climbing over other people's lines that they had run similarly), but
the boat was so high above the level of the dock that I couldn't get
on when I got there. Normally the bow lines would go to the cleats.

Come the next storm storm, I flip the boat end-for-end and add the two
new lines to the next pilings over for the stern. If *they* need
adjusting, boating on the Bay will no longer exist, as Isabelle
exceeded the worst surge in 75 years and wasn't far off from destroying
everything.

Our home lines (of which there are 14)

I don't believe I've seen a boat or slip situation that required 14
lines under normal conditions. Six: two bow, two stern, and two spring

I don't think we really require that many lines either, but that's
what Bob does. I can't find a picture ATM to check (although I can
see 6 lines on the picture) but we have four stern lines (one directly
to the side of the stern from that side and one that crosses over to
the other side), and two long springs on each side, plus one short
line in the middle to pull the boat in to the pier so we can get on
(after loosening the lines on the other side). Then there are four
lines at the bow. But I can't remember what the other line is.

(to keep the bow off the dock) should be all that's required. NO
springs to keep the boat from drifting back, as it just won't move that
far. [I do have a short "spring" that I set on the "inside" main winch
to give me positive control. That's the first to cut, of course, if the
other longer lines are set.]

Then again, we're small, our dock lines relatively large, and our
slip's relatively wide.

We have a nice slip and what is particularly nice is that we are on
the inside of a T so that the dock actually goes all the way back to
the gate and I don't have to climb off the bow to get to the finger
pier. Bob keeps the boat well back in the slip so as not to have the
anchor overhang the dock in the front.

We come and go to the dock without help - just the two of us because
we carefully hang the lines up on the pilings as we leave. [Bob is
an ex-aviator too, but he has to deal with amateurs - i.e. me - in the
docking and so he DOES want to make it easier.]

I do require help at other marinas, because I am absolutely terrible
at throwing lines, and I've only ever managed to lasso a piling ONCE
in 10 years. I also do NOT jump. If anyone goes from the boat to the
dock, it is Bob and coming in to a strange marina dock, we need him at
the helm.

We've had some interesting experiences where the dockmasters aren't
really that aware. We were coming into the Isle of Palms marina once
and they told us to put the boat in between two little sailboats on
the face dock. Bob lined us up, stopped the boat, and the wind blew us
sideways banging into the dock with considerable force, fortunately
right in the middle of the available space.

But the most egregious example of this was in Southport. They have a
long face dock and put transients inside and outside on the face dock.
There are slips sticking out into the basin from one end of the face
dock, and two sections in the basin and one section at the far end of
the face dock. The marina is on the site of an old menhaden factory.
There is a grass lump where the boats used to unload. That dock
doesn't go out as far in that area.

They wanted us to come in and tie port side to, which necessitated
getting into the dock with the port side next to the inside which
should have been easy. Unfortunately the boat only backs to starboard
(unless you want to back to the starboard) and the wind was carrying
us away from the dock so the first pass didn't work.

As we tried to turn to make another pass, the current caught us and
carried us sideways down the fairway. As Bob tried to regain control
without running aground on the grass lump or hitting anyone else's
boat, the dock master and other boaters ran up and down the piers
trying to decide where we'd end up. Eventually at the end of the dock,
the cross dock lessened the current, and Bob was able to back all the
way back up to the entrance and make a better approach.

The dockmaster's comment was - I guess I forgot to mention that we
have current.

Jere Lull July 25th 08 05:09 AM

dock lines - cleaning

http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/raafterisabel.jpg

The

water was still up about knee level over the dock. At the height of the
storm the water was up to the top of the pilings. (The guy who was in
the slip next to us hauled his boat for the storm).

In our slip (fixed docks-50 foot slip), we have pilings on each side of
the slip, but at the end of the slip there are only cleats on the dock.
So in preparation for the storm, we had to run lines across the dock
to the other side where there were pilings.

Sounds and looks good, except I suggest you move the lines on the
pilings up to the top and "pin" them with nails bent down over them to
keep them from slipping up (too easily). That forward breast line looks
like it would have been pulling down pretty hard at high tide.

Someone on our dock took a pic at high tide: No docks, pilings or
visible lines; just two rows of boats lined up on the water; only a few
tree tops visible on the breakwaters between them and the Bay looking
towards Baltimore. Very strange picture, as I recall.

--
Jere Lull