Default Proposed Discharge Permits

http://www.sitnews.us/0708news/07220...ngvessels.html

"Paul" wrote in message
http://www.sitnews.us/0708news/07220...ngvessels.html

Well, I guess I don't have to save my nickels...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Paul" wrote in message
http://www.sitnews.us/0708news/07220...fishingvessels.

GREAT NEWS!!!

"claus" wrote in message
. ..
New EPA water permit regulations are on the horizon. Some boaters fear
this could cause them to sink or simply take their boats out of the water
altogether.
On September 30th, the EPA is scheduled to begin court-ordered enforcement
of the Clean Water Act that controls all water discharged from boats
during its normal operation. Recreational boaters had been exempt from it
for 34 years because it was meant for large, ocean-going ships.

Now, to comply with the law, the EPA has proposed permits for boaters; the
permits are free and automatic. The EPA says boaters will be required to
take "simple steps" to control water discharge from their boats, but
didn't give me any details about how to do that.

Congress acts: Recreational boaters won't have to follow strict clean air
standards
By Jim Morris

Staff Writer

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In a remarkable display of bipartisan support for recreational boating, both
the House and Senate today, July 22, passed S. 2766, "The Clean Boating Act
of 2008" that will permanently restore a long-standing exemption for
recreational boats from permitting requirements under the Clean Water Act.
The legislation now goes to the White House for the President's signature.

Congressional action was spawned by a U.S. District Court decision in
September 2006 under which an estimated 17 million recreational boats would
have fallen under Clean Water Act permit requirements effective Sept. 30,
2008.

The permit would have dictated maintenance and operation procedures and
potentially subjected boaters to citizen lawsuits as well as a penalty
system designed for industrial polluters.

"This is a fabulous victory for common sense and it just goes to show what
can be done when the boating public, the marine industry and its
representatives in Congress row together in a bipartisan way," said BoatU.S.
President Nancy Michelman.

BoatU.S. Government Affairs Director Margaret Podlich was quick to shower
praise on a boatload of legislators who did much of the heavy lifting
including Sens. Bill Nelson (D-FL) and Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and
Representatives Jim Oberstar (D-MN), Steve LaTourette (R-OH), Candice Miller
(R-MI) and Gene Taylor (D-MS).

A complete listing of all legislators involved will be available at
http://www.BoatUS.com/gov soon.

BoatU.S. has worked for more than a year with the National Marine
Manufacturers Association and a broad coalition of stakeholders to resolve
the problem before the permitting deadline.

"One of the real keys to success here was our collective ability to activate
the grassroots," said Podlich, noting that tens of thousands of letters and
e-mails were generated by boaters and anglers over the course of the past 12
months.

BoatU.S. is the nation's leading advocate for recreational boat owners with
over 650,000 members.

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 20:32:23 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

It's an interesting situation, and unfortunately it reminds me of what the
Chinese gov't does. It has lots of laws on the books that it doesn't
generally enforce, but they're there, and when they like, they can enforce
them.

"Rules are made for the guidance of wise men and for the strict
adherence by fools" - Anon

Peter

Nobody is going to enforce this stuff because they give a **** about water
quality. It will be used like a lot of laws to pursue other agendas. It
won't happen often and it won't be a significant risk to any individual
boater, probably less than the hazards we routinely accept. But, doesn't
it disturb people here to see this nation which is creating so much death
and suffering in the name of "freedom" going down this path? This EPA
stuff is just one example.

--
Roger Long

Law abiding citizens have nothing to fear. Can I see your free speech
permit?

The USA is not the only country to have freedom of speech enshrined in
legislation. The 3 million people of the city state of Singapore also
have it.

There is one place where one can see it in action - Speaker's corner
in a public park. Any citizen can obtain a permit to speak on any
topic provided his written speech is submitted to authorities and
approval as to the content authorised beforehand.

A past leader of the opposition party was imprisoned for speaking
without a permit.

Peter.

Ahoy Scotty- road permits Scout ASA 4 August 23rd 06 10:13 AM
EU cruising permits? Vince LoRusso Cruising 8 April 20th 04 06:10 PM
New Permits will allow Longlining in Protected Areas Capt. Dave General 0 January 23rd 04 01:35 AM
Discharge Donal ASA 32 January 14th 04 06:57 PM
NY State Parks Kayak Permits two_k2003 Touring 6 July 18th 03 04:02 AM