BoatBanter.com

-   -   I lost a bunch of money! (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/96262-i-lost-bunch-money.html)

Thomas Flores July 18th 08 11:31 PM

I lost a bunch of money!

Oil prices dropped almost 20% this week. I believed all the doom and
gloomers and speculated they would continue to rise skyward and they didn't!

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Does $150 a bbl sound likely?

$200 a bbl?

I'm going to celebrate by running my twin engine Trojan 35 around the bay
twice - at full throttle!

Larry July 19th 08 06:47 AM

I lost a bunch of money!

"Thomas Flores" wrote in
:

I'm going to celebrate by running my twin engine Trojan 35 around the
bay twice - at full throttle!

Wait a month. We're all going to laugh....(c;

Jere Lull July 23rd 08 07:34 AM

I lost a bunch of money!

On 2008-07-18 18:31:26 -0400, "Thomas Flores" said:

Oil prices dropped almost 20% this week. I believed all the doom and
gloomers and speculated they would continue to rise skyward and they didn't!

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Does $150 a bbl sound likely?

$200 a bbl?

I'm going to celebrate by running my twin engine Trojan 35 around the bay
twice - at full throttle!

The usually-popular anchorage I was at Saturday (Swan Creek) had
one-third the typical number of boats, with sailboats outnumbering
power 2-1. Usually, it's 4 or 5-1 the other way. Sunday, I was the only
boat there for a few hours, then two local day-trippers stopped by.

Sailed home and only saw two powerboats....

4th of July weekend was similarly sparse, but I chalked that up to
rotten weather.

Anyone else observe similar?

--
Jere Lull

Roger Long July 24th 08 12:26 PM

I lost a bunch of money!

I haven't seen a powerboat larger than a center console leave the marina all
summer and those only a couple of times except for one that is doing part
time lobstering. Much to the disappointment of my boys, encounters with
large wakes are now rare. Harbor motoring is much more relaxed with far
fewer COLREGS clueless powerboats zipping around.

The fuel dock is always empty.

There are a couple good things about high fuel prices.

--
Roger Long

Jeff July 24th 08 02:20 PM

I lost a bunch of money!

wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 07:26:10 -0400, "Roger Long"

Looks like those hardest hit here have been the runabouts and sub-25
foot center consoles. The blue collar guys who like to do a little
fishing to unwind after work or on weekends. Those sized slips are
very empty this season. It was a little thinned out last seasn, but
this year, it's a huge difference. I think many of them gave up having
a slip and are trailering to save money.

Yup, I see the same. My marina is mainly blue collar, 25 foot fishing
boats. It has a lot of vacancies, and I've only seen a handful of
departures. I'm sure a lot of people left the boat in the driveway this
year.

We were at the Vineyard for a few weeks and there were moorings sitting
empty for days midweek in the transient area, though they did fill up on
the weekend. And the Cape Cod Canal had almost no powerboat traffic -
most were throttled back.