BoatBanter.com

-   -   Keeping opened 5200 usable? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9602-keeping-opened-5200-usable.html)

Brian D April 2nd 04 05:03 AM

Keeping opened 5200 usable?

If you're in a Community Property state, then YES! Otherwise ...do it at
night when she's sleeping ;-)

Brian D

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My boat project
http://www.advantagecomposites.com -- Discounted System Three Resins

"Don White" wrote in message

BCC wrote in message
I need to open a big tube of 5200 for a small job because I need
mahogany color - and won't use it again for a while - how can I extend
the life - maybe put in the freezer?

I wonder if this would be a good use of the wife's 'Foodsaver' kitchen
vacuum device?

Brian D April 2nd 04 05:05 AM

Keeping opened 5200 usable?

Steve, or anyone,

Is 5200 water soluble? If so, freezing would be best if storing for a
really long time. But I haven't tried the refrigerator yet, just a nail in
the tip of the tube and a ZipLoc ...only works for awhile. I bet a blob of
silicon sealant or SikaFlex on the end of the tube would work too, since you
can pull either off later on.

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My boat project
http://www.advantagecomposites.com -- Discounted System Three Resins
products

"Steve" wrote in message
It really doesn't take anything other than a common plastic shopping bag.
Just enough to keep any moisture laden air away from the plunger..

BTW, I just looked and I have a couple open (but resealed) tube in my
kitchen frig that must have been there for a year.. I can squeeze the side
of the tub and it is still soft.. I may have to dig a cured plug of 5200

out
of the tip of the tube when I want to use them..

This question came up about a year ago and someone suggested putting them

in
the freezer.. I can testify that it isn't necassary and the stuff is ready
to use when you take it out of the frig. but might require some thawing

time
if frozen.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve April 2nd 04 05:32 AM

Keeping opened 5200 usable?

"Brian D" wrote in message
Is 5200 water soluble?

I should hope not!

Steve

Steve April 2nd 04 05:32 AM

Keeping opened 5200 usable?

Keith April 2nd 04 12:32 PM

Keeping opened 5200 usable?

Now there's an idea! I'll try that out next time. I normally just keep these
in the freezer and they seem to keep fine.

--

Keith
__

P.C. April 2nd 04 04:19 PM

Keeping opened 5200 usable?

Hi

"Keith" skrev i en meddelelse
Now there's an idea! I'll try that out next time. I normally just keep

these
in the freezer and they seem to keep fine.

You Romans are crazy, placing both mixed epoxy, polyester resin and opened
cans with Rubber mastic any kind in the cold ,been an everyday thing for
decades. --------- Do you realy buy rubber goof in cannisters , well if you
want to save money, you buy that type of gun that you can fill out of a
bucket then cost is halve of what you jokers seem to be paying at the local
handyman store, ----- realy how many of you guy's are profesional , seen
your plans for years now ontop it seem that no one even know the most common
everyday trick..
Boatbuilders eh.
P.C.

Scott Vernon April 2nd 04 06:08 PM

Keeping opened 5200 usable?

I bought a 6 pack of silicone tubes on sale. Two years later the 4
remaining unopened tubes had cured (hardened).

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__