Default Ping..Peggy Hall

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
ews.com...

Peggie's reply that you just have to compromise is typical of a woman's
reply. You NEVER have to compromise if you are a man. You take the time
to learn the facts, how to apply them and then you go with the BEST
option. That is NOT compromise.

Women go with their feelings because that's how they are wired. Men
evolved being the free-rangers, the providers and the moving force of the
family unit. Women evolved staying close to the cave or campsite. Their
world involved raising their offspring and manipulating the small area in
and around the camp. They were less often challenged with new decisions
and were less often called upon to make life and death decisions based on
facts because feelings and intuition don't work when confronted with a
saber-tooth tiger, for example.

That's why I am appalled when so many subscribers here seem to consider
any woman an authority on the purview of men.

Your argument falls down because the question was about fixed sanitary
installations and your supposed male free-rangers would not need these in
the forest.
Back in the cave or campsite, however, the need for such installations
would soon become apparent to those who remained there 'manipulating' that
small area.

Fixed sanitary systems in a moving yacht? Surely you jest. Can you say
traveling sanitary systems? What does a stay-at-home cave Mom need with a
traveling sanitary system?

Sorry, Edgar, but you've gotta pay attention. The broad question was about
sanitary systems but the specific topic concerned placing bronze thru hulls
in a steel hull. Peggie advised doing so as a "compromise." The chap with
the steel hull knew better because of the incompatibility of the metals in a
salt water environment.

In other words, the female view of a world traveled in a conveyance floating
in salt water is beyond her capacity to conceptualize let alone understand
even in a macro sense, let alone a micro sense concerning the various bits
and pieces that make up the conveyance.

Why develop an understanding for something you find extraneous? What use
does a stay-at-home cave Mom have for conveyance in the first place. She
does just fine on her own two hind legs gathering roots and herbs locally
and later on her back in the cave servicing her hard working, hunting, man
of the world's desires.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
ews.com...
snip...

Why develop an understanding for something you find extraneous? What use
does a stay-at-home cave Mom have for conveyance in the first place. She
does just fine on her own two hind legs gathering roots and herbs locally
and later on her back in the cave servicing her hard working, hunting, man
of the world's desires.

Wilbur Hubbard

Oh oh! Sounds like another case of malaria picked up in that mosquito
infested swamp, called home by the Capt & his derelic Coronado.

Actually, I have, 316 is expensive, monel is outside of my budget and you
don't see them on eBay either.
Steve

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
ews.com...

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Peggie,
As I mentioned before, bronze is absolutely out of the question with a
steel hull. They create a huge electrolysis issue which causes both valve
failure and steel corrosion throughout the hull. I think using plastic
within the sanitary system and 316 at the hull is the best compromise.
The reasoning is that the stainless will be continuously flushed with
seawater and only sometimes exposed to waste. The valve which will be
continuously exposed to waste will be plastic.
Steve

You don't actually expect any woman to understand electrolysis and how it
effects various metals placed side by side in salt water do you? It's
obvious she's clueless by her reply that totally failed to consider the
consequences of bronze and steel mated together.

Have you considered monel? Marvelous stuff! I understand it is compatible
with steel being an alloy nickel and copper with some iron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur,
Compromises are made everyday by everybody simply because the best is rarely
available all the time. Secondly, monel, copper-nickel-steel, cunifer,
whatever you want to call these alloys are not without their own detriments.
They are 1/2 ton heavier per cubic meter than stainless, they are much more
expensive than SS, they have very poor strength to weight and very low
fatigue resistance. The number one failure mode of parts made with these
alloys is cracking, are you sure you would want a hull made of this stuff?
That would be about as dumb as Cor-ten.
Steve

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
ews.com...

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 15 May 2008 18:35:26 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

You don't actually expect any woman to understand electrolysis and how it
effects various metals placed side by side in salt water do you?

You say any. I think the female college Chemistry teachers would
figure it out real fast. If you say there is a sex linked learning
disability, I might buy that.

Casady

It's not that women are incapable of learning scientific things but rather
it's that women tend to not be interested in them. Their brains are just
wired differently from a man's brain. And, I have discovered in my long,
eventful and highly educated life, that most women, even if they deal with
technology, have a tendency to be unable or have difficulties applying
what they know to the real world, mostly because such things don't
interest them and/or are incompatible with their innate thought processes.

[...]

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard

On May 16, 11:03 am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
wrote in message

On May 15, 6:35 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
[...]

I am just a little confused by your response here Oh, Great One...are
you suggesting that he re-plate his hull with Monel.,..yea that is
going to happen,
or have custom seacock made of said material...they may be
available..but not off the shelf at any chandelry that I know of.

Monel, or cupro-nickel as it is generically termed, is widely available in
the shipping industry. Surely thru-hulls are available made from this
wonderful substance. And through hulls of 316 SS as the OP seems inclined to
install are inferior to Monel. I've heard of at least one case where the
entire hull of a sailboat was made from cupro-nickel. It will last a
lifetime. And I've read that it has anti-fouling properties such that bottom
paint isn't necessary.

My next blue water cruiser will be made from this noble metal. But it's not
light. So that will necessitate my next hull be in the 120-140 foot range.
But, hey, I can afford the best!

Wilbur Hubbard
Swan 68 starter boat!

My dear nattering nabob of negativity....a properly installed through
hull should not come in contact with the hull anyway. It should be
bedded in some waterproof caulking compound that will isolate the two,
so electrolysis should not be a problem.

wrote:
[...]

Duh! A proper hull is bonded. That means wiring together all the thru hulls
to a central ground. This also protects from lightning strikes. And what
about copper bottom paint? Surely it will put the thru-hulls in electrical
contact with the hull.

Wilbur Hubbard

In article
,
" wrote:

On May 16, 11:03 am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard
Swan 68 starter boat!

... nabob of negativity...

LOL! Made oi Larf!

--
Molesworth

On Sat, 17 May 2008 06:41:58 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Wilbur,
Compromises are made everyday by everybody simply because the best is rarely
available all the time. Secondly, monel, copper-nickel-steel, cunifer,
whatever you want to call these alloys are not without their own detriments.
They are 1/2 ton heavier per cubic meter than stainless, they are much more
expensive than SS, they have very poor strength to weight and very low
fatigue resistance. The number one failure mode of parts made with these
alloys is cracking, are you sure you would want a hull made of this stuff?
That would be about as dumb as Cor-ten.
Steve

Steve,

What is wrong with using Cor-Ten? I thought that this steel was the
best in amarine application.

Peter

On Sun, 18 May 2008 03:54:05 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

High copper content (which doesn't get alone well with salt), brittle, prone
to cracking. There have been some successful hulls built out of it but it's
at its best for things like dragger decks and ramps where paint won't stay
on or masts where the paint won't develope chips and the slightly higher
strength to weight ratio and stiffness is an advantage. It's pretty much
fallen out of use for marine applications. I have a large sailboat out
there with Corten masts that have held up well since the 80's but I probably
wouldn't use it again.

Thanks Roger.

wrote:

High copper content (which doesn't get alone well with salt), brittle, prone
to cracking. There have been some successful hulls built out of it but it's
at its best for things like dragger decks and ramps where paint won't stay
on or masts where the paint won't develope chips and the slightly higher
strength to weight ratio and stiffness is an advantage. It's pretty much
fallen out of use for marine applications. I have a large sailboat out
there with Corten masts that have held up well since the 80's but I probably
wouldn't use it again.

There is a fifty story office building in Des Moines covered with the
stuff. Using it for siding uses none of the strength, but it won't
crack. Did you paint your mast?

Casady

Peggy Hall? beaufortnc Cruising 4 July 12th 06 10:25 PM
Peggy Hall ? pmiller Cruising 2 August 19th 04 05:13 AM
Q for peggy hall alex Boat Building 5 March 25th 04 12:40 AM
Peggy Hall Jim Donohue General 3 January 23rd 04 12:39 AM