BoatBanter.com

-   -   I decided (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/93633-i-decided.html)

[email protected] May 1st 08 09:15 PM

I decided

JimC wrote:

wrote:

I'm not bashing Macs. They're fine for what they are designed for,
i.e. "inland waters and limited coastal sailing". So are they
designed for heavy seas and gale force winds - NO. "Might" they
survive? Sure, but one can always assume that there is a high
likelihood that a boat will fail, often catastrophically, when used
*well* outside of its designed operating range. A simple matter of
engineering, not speculation.

Keith Hughes

As I said, they are not suited for extended crossings or blue water
cruising. While they are a coastal cruiser, they are not comfortable in
heavy weather. As to carrying 10K pounds of coffee, that would have to
be cut back somewhat. As also discussed previously, the Macs aren't
large enough to store provisions for extended cruising.

Jim

"Somewhat"? Capacity of 960lbs, including crew, would require a
reduction of, oh, say 95%. Ok, then your entire point is rendered moot,
true? If Redcloud had been a Mac, it couldn't have been carrying the
payload, so it wouldn't have been in the situation in the first place.
So it's a pointless argument to say "If Joe were in a Mac...", the Mac
is wholly unsuited to what he was trying to due, irrespective of the
weather component.

BTW, from the Macgregor site, we also have:

"IF THE CABIN OF THE BOAT IS ENTIRELY FILLED WITH WATER, AND THE BOAT IS
DEPENDENT ON THE FOAM FLOTATION TO KEEP IT AFLOAT, IT WILL BE VERY
UNSTABLE, AND MAY TURN UPSIDE DOWN."

It's quite evident from this statement that when flooded, in heavy seas,
the Mac can be expected to turn turtle, or roll.

So why the desperate need to defend the Mac as something it's not? It's
a trailerable boat (big compromise #1), at a low price point (big
compromise #2), with a targeted audience and type of use. It does what
it's designed to do, and works great for a lot of people for whom the
design compromises are unimportant, or considered acceptable. It's also
wholly unsuitable to uses for which it is not designed, as are most boats.

Many folks have sailed Catalina 30's on blue water passages, but I
wouldn't do that in mine. It's designed, built, and rigged to be a
coastal cruiser, and just like the Mac, operated outside of its design
parameters, is *much* more prone to catastrophic failure. Plain and
simple - you operate within the confines of the engineering design
space, or you're at risk.

Keith Hughes

JimC May 1st 08 09:44 PM

I decided

Martin Baxter wrote:
JimC wrote:

Marty wrote:

JimC wrote:

I'm not saying that there might not be such a report out there
somewhere, but so far no one on this ng has been able to produce it.

Your move.

I see no reports of flying pigs crashing to the ground, therefore
pigs can fly.

Are really that dense?

Cheers
Marty

Cute, Marty. Of course, you are evading the points made in my previous

[snipped obfuscation]

(Important deleted material returned)

Jeff, you seem to love posting responses to what you THINK I said, or
what you would LIKED for me to have said, or what your caracature of Mac
owners WOULD have said, rather than what I did say. As previously noted,
I have not stated that the Mac is suitable for extensive blue water
sailing or extended crossings. In fact, I said just the opposite, that
it isn't a blue water boat suited for extended crossings.

Note also that I didn't say that they are routinely sailed offshore in
difficult conditions. - I merely stated that if Joe had been on a
Mac26, with its positive floatation, I thought his boat would have
stayed afloat, permitting him to recover it rather than having it sink
to the floor of the Gulf of Mexico.

Please note that it wasn't me who initiated the assertions that the Mac
would break up and sink (or roll over and over like a washing machine)
in heavy weather conditions. - It was Ganz, and a few of his
Mac-baching buddies.

MY ASSERTION WAS THAT NEITHER GANZ, OR ANY OF HIS MAC-BASHING BUDDIES,
HAVE PROVIDED ANY EVIDENCE THAT THE MAC WOULD BREAK UP AND SINK IN HEAVY
WEATHER CONDITIONS.

I stand by and will continue to support THAT assertion. However, don't
put words in my mouth and ask me to support assertions you wish I had
made, or thought I had made, but didn't.

Jim

How many times are you trot out the same lame evasion?

As often as I am accused of saying things that I didn't say.

You most certainly said that if Joe had been in a Mac, the Mac would
have been fine,

Nope.

and remained afloat, you then went on to imply that a
Mac, apparently with Devine intervention would not roll, as many other
larger boats, designed with such conditions in mind have done.

What I said was that no one had provided any evidence that a Mac 26M,
with a storm anchor deployed, would roll over and over continuously, as
was stated by Ganz.

You have
defended the strength of the rigging on a Mac and again by implication
suggested that it's perfectly adequate for surviving major storms offshore.

Nope. I said that no one had provided any evidenc that it would fail,
under the conditions discussed regarding Red Cloud.

Mysteriously you are now suggesting that the boat is in fact, not
suitable for survival, "it isn't a blue water boat suited for extended
crossings", that's a good start.

I stated at the outset that I wouldn't want to take the boat offshore as
did Joe, and that I wouldn't recommend anyone else do so. This isn't a
"mysterious" recent insertion, as you seem to suggest.

Repeatedly chanting the mantra "MAC-BASHING BUDDIES", when no one is
bashing the Mac,

Really? That's news to me.

does not constitute a valid argument. Most of us are in
fact saying that the Mac is fine if you use it for what it was intended
to be used for. Too suggest that a Mac is a fine sailing vessel, with
the capability to survive severe weather off shore, is patently
ridiculous and simply indefensible.

Once more, I never said that the Mac was a suitable vessel to take
offshore in severe weather. (How many times do I have to repeat myself?)
I said that if Joe had been in a Mac 26M, I thought his boat would have
remained afloat.

Further asking for evidence of a breakup in such conditions, when no
case of a Mac actually being used in such conditions does not constitute
proof of ability to survive. That we have no evidence of Macs sailing in
ocean storms is perhaps testimony the better judgement of Mac owners.

Here's some evidence that should be convincing (certainly more evidence
than has been posted by Ganz, Jeff, and their buddies).

So far, no one on this ng has posted any accounts or evidence of ANY Mac
26 (X or M models) sinking under ANY circumstances. That in itself is
pretty convincing evidence that the floatation is effective to keep the
boat afloat in a variety of difficult environments and situations.

Secondly, I didn't claim that the Macs would never sink under any
circumstances. My statement was in reference to Joe's situation.

Third, there are some interesting legal principles involved. The current
MacGregor website makes the following statements about the Mac 26M: "The
MacGregor 26 has built-in solid foam floatation to keep it afloat in the
event of damage. It won't sail fast when flooded like this, but
it beats swimming. Most competing boats do not offer this essential
safety protection, and their heavy keels can pull them straight to the
bottom. Don't get a boat without solid flotation!"
Additionally, it includes a photograph of a boat partially sunk but
still afloat and supporting five adult men standing on its cabin, with
the following comment: "We drilled a hole in the bottom of
the boat and let it fill. The boat has built-in solid foam flotation to
keep it afloat in the event of damage."

Now, you might be tempted to respond that this doesn't mean anything,
it's just advertising. - But you would be wrong. - The related legal
principles are as follows: In the event of death or injury by a Mac
owner or guest resulting from a failure of the floatation system,
MacGregor could be sued under several legal principles (deceptive trade
practices, negligence, torts, punitive damages, criminal
negligence, etc.) with the plaintiffs citing the above sections of
MacGregor's published literature. In other words, if MacGregor didn't
have good support for the above statements (and inferences
fairly derived therefrom), they would be taking a hell of a chance
releasing such public statements about their floatation system. (And
since they have the advice of a fairly good legal team,
it's rather naive (incredulous, actually) to suggest that they simply
put that information out there on the web without approval by counsel.

Cheers
Marty

Cheers
Marty

Have a nice day Marty.

Jim

JimC May 1st 08 09:49 PM

I decided

Capt. JG wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message

In your opinion, of course.

As opposed to??

Since it was you, and not me. who introduced that weird assertion about
the Mac rolling over and over again like a washing machine, I'll let you
provide the "evidence" to support your assertion, Ganz. It's your baby.
All I ask is that you tend to your baby appropriately.

That's what happens when a boat is dismasted and starts to roll in heavy
seas. It sometimes only rolls once, but is just as likely to roll over and
over. Are you disputing this?

Seems to me we have been through this issue already, Ganz. - My point is
that you have no evidence whatsoever as to whether or not a Mac 26M,
with sea anchor deployed, would have rolled, much less roll over and

JimC May 1st 08 10:41 PM

I decided

wrote:

JimC wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Actually, the point being made was that the MacGregor had certain safety
features that Joe's boat didn't have. Yes, it's true that he couldn't
have carried 10,000 pounds of coffee in a Mac. On the other hand, he
didn't do a very good job of delivering 10,000 lbs. of coffee in Red
Cloud either.

BTW, from the Macgregor site, we also have:

"IF THE CABIN OF THE BOAT IS ENTIRELY FILLED WITH WATER, AND THE BOAT IS
DEPENDENT ON THE FOAM FLOTATION TO KEEP IT AFLOAT, IT WILL BE VERY
UNSTABLE, AND MAY TURN UPSIDE DOWN."

Where in the world did you get that verbage, Keith? Apparently you are
deliberately misquoting the Mac site.- The actual statements regarding
the floatation system a

"The boat has built-in solid foam flotation to keep it afloat in the
event of damage. It won’t sail well when fully flooded, and it will be
unstable, but it beats swimming. Most competing boats do not offer this
essential safety protection, and their heavy keels can pull them
straight to the bottom. Don't get a boat without solid flotation!"

-Nothing about the boat becoming "very unstable" or that it "may turn
upside down." - Keith, don't try that BS with me again.

It's quite evident from this statement that when flooded, in heavy seas,
the Mac can be expected to turn turtle, or roll.

Nope. That's your statement, not MacGregor's.

So why the desperate need to defend the Mac as something it's not?

I'm not defending it as something it's not. I have stated over and over
again that it isn't suibable for extended crossings or blue water
cruisings. I have also listed a number of advantages of conventional
boats over the Macs. What I'm doing is providing a degree of balance in
this discussion (typical of many other discussions on this ng) in which
the Macs are totally bashed, usually by guys who have never even sailed
one of the current models (the 26M). They have never sailed one, yet
they feel no hesitation in telling everyone else what they are like and
what they will and will not do.

It's
a trailerable boat (big compromise #1), at a low price point (big
compromise #2), with a targeted audience and type of use. It does what
it's designed to do, and works great for a lot of people for whom the
design compromises are unimportant, or considered acceptable. It's also
wholly unsuitable to uses for which it is not designed, as are most boats.

Many folks have sailed Catalina 30's on blue water passages, but I
wouldn't do that in mine. It's designed, built, and rigged to be a
coastal cruiser, and just like the Mac, operated outside of its design
parameters, is *much* more prone to catastrophic failure. Plain and
simple - you operate within the confines of the engineering design
space, or you're at risk.

Well, that's your assesment. And I don't know whether you have sailed a
26M or not. Can I safely assume that you have not?. (I have sailed the
Mac26M, in addition to a number of other boats in the 30 to 40 foot
range.)

Here's my assesment:

1) A boat that is FUN TO SAIL! On my Mac 26M, when I get to the sailing
area, raise the sails, turn off the motor, and sense the boat moving
under sail, it's an amazing, almost magical experience. In contrast to
some of the heavier, conventional boats that I have sailed, the Mac is
sufficiently light that it gives you a 'kick in the pants' as it
accelerates under sail. Although larger boats are steadier, and more
comfortable in choppy waters (sort of like a large, heavy Lincoln Town
Car or equivalent) the Macs are responsive enough to give you more of a
feel for the changing conditions (sort of like the feel of a sports car,
such as a Porsche, a car that is fun to drive but not quite as smooth or
comfortable on long trips as the Lincoln). Also, in moderate conditions,
I sometimes like to set the boat on autopilot and sit on the deck
watching the boat gliding silently through the water. - Again, it's an
ethereal, almost magical experience.

2) A boat that is not essentially limited to being sailed in the
immediate area. - The Mac26M can be quickly and easily transported by
the owner (with a pickup or SUV) in one weekend to waters hundreds of
miles from it's berth or storage area, thereby making available hundreds
of sailing areas that wouldn't be conveniently available with a larger,
keeled vessel. (Without having it hauled out of the water and hiring a
truck to transport the boat to a distant sailing area.) - Practically
speaking, most large, conventional keeled boats are limited to sailing
within a day or so of their marinas unless the owners are retired or
want to spend several weeks of vacation. (Of course, you can always
point to exceptions, but they ARE the exceptions, not the usual practice
for most owners, most of the time.)

3) A boat that doesn't have to be berthed in a marina. Thus, the storage
fees are substantially less than most marina fees, and ongoing lease and
maintenance fees can be substantially reduced. Or, if desired, I can
(and do) choose to keep it in a Marina, at a relatively modest fee
because of its size and limited draft.

4) A coastal cruiser that can be sailed in a variety of waters,
including offshore, with the understanding that it isn't recommended for
extended ocean crossings and isn't as comfortable in heavy weather. The
boat has plenty of ballast and plenty of righting forces. Also, it's
suitable for sailing and/or motoring in shallow or restricted waters
that aren't available to large, fixed keel vessels.

5} A boat that incorporates a number of safety features, including
positive floatation that will keep the boat afloat even if the hull is
compromised. The boat is also designed to accommodate a large outboard
which gives the skipper more options in the event of heavy weather,
e.g., for returning to port quickly.

6) A boat that, despite its relatively modest size, has substantial
cabin space and berths for five people, including a queen-size aft berth.

7) A boat that is small and light enough to permit easy handling and
docking by one person.

8) A boat that is priced substantially lower than conventional larger
boats (comparing new prices with new prices and used prices with used
prices, of course). This permits getting a fully equipped vessel (with
accessories such as autopilot, chart reader, roller reefing, 50-hp
motor, lines led aft, radio, stereo, etc., etc.), still within an
affordable total cost.

9) A boat that can be sailed or motored with or without the ballast, and
that can be trailord without the ballast, making it a substantially
lighter load when trailoring.

10) A boat that can have a 5.5 feet draft for sailing (with dagger-board
down) but that can be converted to one with only 1.5-ft draft in
shallow waters or waters with variable depth, or for anchoring in
shallow waters, or for bringing it up a ramp for trailoring, or for
simply bringing the boat ashore on a beach for a picnic or the like.
Or, the dagger board can be only partially retracted for increased speed
on a reach or a run, or completely retracted for motoring on a plane.

11) A sailboat that, unlike 90 percent of the boats discussed on this
ng, isn't limited to hull speed. With the (typical) 50-hp to 60-hp
outboard, the Mac 26M can be motored on a plane at two or three times
hull speed. While some on this ng have ridiculed this feature, it
offers a number of rather important advantages. - For example, the
skipper can get the boat out to a preferred sailing area substantially
sooner, PERMITTING MORE SAILING TIME in the desired area. Similarly, at
the end of the day, he can get the boat back more quickly, regardless of
wind direction, again PERMITTING MORE SAILING TIME (since he can stay
out later and still get the family home in time for dinner or other
activities). Practically speaking, it's also an advantage of the wife or
kids or guests are getting tired of sailing and want to get back ASAP.
This capability is also a safety factor, as mentioned above, in the
event the skipper wants to bring the boat in quickly to avoid heavy
weather, or move down the coast to avoid a squall, etc.

12) A boat that has clean lines and a modern, streamlined design. -
Admittedly, this is a matter of taste. - (I also like the looks of some
of the large conventional boats, particularly if they are long enough.)
But if we are comparing apples to apples, consider the looks of other
boats of 26-foot length. - For example, the smaller Island Packets look
something like a tug boat to me. All I know is that it looks good to me
and my guests. - Every time I see him, the owner of the boat in the next
slip compliments me on what a good-looking boat it is.

On the downside, I've previously noted that the Macs aren't as
comfortable in chop or heavy weather, that they don't have sufficient
storage for a long voyage, that they don't point as well as larger
boats, and that they have a shorter waterline, that limits their hull
speed under sail.

Jim

JimC May 2nd 08 12:07 AM

I decided

wrote:

JimC wrote:

1) A boat that is not essentially limited to being sailed in the
immediate area. - The Mac26M can be quickly and easily transported by
the owner (with a pickup or SUV) in one weekend to waters hundreds of
miles from it's berth or storage area.

So can many many many other small ~ medium sized sailboats. My
sailboat data base has about 1600 trailerable boats (and this is
probably less than half of all the different types that have been
produced in the U.S. & Canada).

And the Macs are by far the most popular of boats (trailerable or
untrailerable) of this size. And they have been so for many years. -
Wonder why this is, Doug? Misleading marketing?

2) A boat that doesn't have to be berthed in a marina.

Isn't this kinda the same as #1?

Nope. The ability to conveniently and quickly transport the boat to
sailing areas located substantial distances from your home dock, and the
ability to store the boat out of the water if desired, are distinctly
different advantages. One has to do with the choice of sailing
environments, and the other relates to the option of storing the boat
in the water or out of it.

3) A coastal cruiser that can be sailed in a variety of waters,

Isn't this kinda the same as #1, again?

Not really. Some boats of this size have fixed keels and are not
suitable for trailering, or for shallow or irregular bottom waters.
Most trailerable boats are of limited size and capacity, and aren't
really suitable for anything but lake sailing.

including offshore, with the understanding that it isn't recommended for
extended ocean crossings and isn't as comfortable in heavy weather.

Ha ha ha... you mean, if you bring lots of duct tape you might return
with most of what you started with?

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum, and I don't want to get into
it again. However, as stated by Roger: "There are thousands of these
boats out there, and many have been caught in, and survived, some really
extreme weather conditions, on both lakes and oceans. Like most small
cruising sailboats, the 26 can handle high winds and nasty seas, but
risk and discomfort levels increase dramatically in severe weather."
Note that he was speaking about the old 26X, not the current 26M. -
Though not a blue water boat, the Mac is definitely a coastal cruiser

Frankly, having seen Mac 26Xs & Ms sailing in relatively sheltered
waters in 15 knot winds & 2 ~ 3 feet of chop... and having trouble
coping with these conditions when not actually suffering breakdowns...
I can't imagine sailing one "offshore in heavy weather" for more than
about 15 minutes.

It's true that some Mac skippers are new and inexperienced. My boat has
roller furling and three reefing points on the main, and I haven't
experienced the troubles you're talking about. And, of course, there are
many Mac sailors with more experience than me.

4} A boat that incorporates a number of safety features, including
positive floatation

Again, a common feature shared by many other boats.

Corrections. - Shared by many small boats but relatively few larger
boats. For example, relatively few of the boats discussed on this ng.
have it.

.... The boat is also designed to accommodate a large outboard
which gives the skipper more options in the event of heavy weather,
e.g., for returning to port quickly.

Again, ha ha ha. For one thing, the speed of the Mac26X~M is very much
exaggerated. It certainly won't outrun any storms at 15 knots or
less; and the hull shape & stability is such that it will be very
problematic to handle it at any speed in really rough weather.

It's two or three times faster under power than most of the boats
discussed on this ng. And despite your "ha ha ha"s, having the OPTION to
motor in a plane is a valuable capability, useful in many circumstances.

7) A boat that is priced substantially lower than conventional larger
boats

Or conventional boats of similar accomodation... and there you have it
in a nutshell. The Mac26X~M is a portable cheap hotel room. Not that
there's anything wrong with that.

Again, you seem to think that if you throw in enough sarcasm and "ha ha
ha"s, are proving your point. - NOT.

9) A boat that can have a 5.5 feet draft for sailing (with dagger-board
down) but that can be converted to one with only 1.5-ft draft in
shallow waters

Again, a feature shared by many many many other boats.

Again, a feature shared by some, but relatively few of the boats
discussed on this ng. A feature not shared by many boats of its size.
AND DON'T TELL ME THAT THERE AREN'T OTHER BOATS THAT HAVE THIS FEATURE,
because I didn't say that there weren't. I'm simply pointing out that
the combination of features provided in the Mac26M is quite extensive.

10) A sailboat that, unlike 90 percent of the boats discussed on this
ng, isn't limited to hull speed.

Isn't this a repeat of something from #4 above?

It's worth repeating.

12) Finally, I see a boat that is FUN TO SAIL!

A matter of taste. If the "magic of sail" to you means having big
white pieces of cloth flopping around from a pole while you lurch
aimlessly across the water, yeah that'll do it.

Actually, my sails don't "flop around", and I don't "lurch aimlessly
across the water.

Try sailing a Laser or an Albacore or a 505 or an Etchells or a Nacra
or a Melges 24 or any of hundreds of actual high performance sailing
craft... you don't even have to get stressed out and try one of the
double-trap skiffs... boats that will equal or exceed the wind
velocity and plane readily UNDER SAIL.

Frankly, for anybody with any experience on sailing craft of any real
performance level, the "magic" of sailing a Mac26X~M is a big yawn.
But it's all a matter of taste. You clearly like your boat, what's
funny is the level of delusion you have to maintain.

What you haven't acknowledged, of course, is that although other boats
have some of the same features, the COMBINATION of capabilities and
features available on the Mac 26m is rather unique and is one reason
that the 26s have, over the years, been one of the most popular
sailboat series. Obviously, some boats are more responsive than the Mac
and can plane under sail, but most of them don't have anywhere near the
accommodations, comfort, and cabin size available with a Mac 26M. Also,
there are obviously many larger, heavier, more comfortable boats. -
However, most of them (not all) don't have the various advantages
(responsiveness, ability to sail or motor in shallow waters, ability to
motor at two to three times hull speed, trailerability. etc., available
on the Mac. Of course, the current Mac models benefit from experience
gained over many years of development, and feedback from thousands of
owners.

Please keep in mind that I have been sailing for over 40 years, with
experience on a number of large and smaller boats with a variety of
designs and characteristics. More recently, I also have some five years
of experience sailing the Mac 26M. Not saying that I'm an old salt, or
that I have sailed in competition on an Albacore or Laser. (I'm not
really interested in racing, more into cruising.) On the other hand, I
do have experience with and knowledge of a number of boats, most of
which were larger than the Mac. By contrast, I don't think you have a
lot of experience, if any, sailing the (current) Mac 26M. - Which is,
after all, the subject of this particular discussion. - I find that the
Mac 26M is a sweet compromise between larger, heavier boats and lighter
boats, with some of the advantages of each.

Again, when the wind hit the sails, it's magic!

Jim

[email protected] May 2nd 08 12:22 AM

I decided

JimC wrote:

wrote:

JimC wrote:

BTW, from the Macgregor site, we also have:

"IF THE CABIN OF THE BOAT IS ENTIRELY FILLED WITH WATER, AND THE BOAT
IS DEPENDENT ON THE FOAM FLOTATION TO KEEP IT AFLOAT, IT WILL BE VERY
UNSTABLE, AND MAY TURN UPSIDE DOWN."

Where in the world did you get that verbage, Keith? Apparently you are
deliberately misquoting the Mac site.- The actual statements regarding
the floatation system a

Here it is, so if you can't find it now, that's your deficiency, not
mine. The verbiage is cut and pasted verbatim. Hence the quotation
marks (and yes, it's in CAPS on the website):

http://www.macgregor26.com/safety/safety.htm

"The boat has built-in solid foam flotation to keep it afloat in the
event of damage. It won’t sail well when fully flooded, and it will be
unstable, but it beats swimming. Most competing boats do not offer this
essential safety protection, and their heavy keels can pull them
straight to the bottom. Don't get a boat without solid flotation!"

-Nothing about the boat becoming "very unstable" or that it "may turn
upside down." - Keith, don't try that BS with me again.

Look, I've been trying to be polite, but if you're too lazy or dumb to
actually read the manufacturer's site, that's not my BS, that's *your*
malfunction. Accusing people of dishonesty, without checking your
references first, is the province of fools. As is attempting
intimidation over Usenet.

It's quite evident from this statement that when flooded, in heavy
seas, the Mac can be expected to turn turtle, or roll.

Nope. That's your statement, not MacGregor's.

********. *READ* the pertinent disclaimers on the website, not *just*
the marketing crap that you think supports your position.

So why the desperate need to defend the Mac as something it's not?

I'm not defending it as something it's not. I have stated over and over
again that it isn't suibable for extended crossings or blue water
cruisings. I have also listed a number of advantages of conventional
boats over the Macs. What I'm doing is providing a degree of balance in
this discussion (typical of many other discussions on this ng) in which
the Macs are totally bashed, usually by guys who have never even sailed
one of the current models (the 26M). They have never sailed one, yet
they feel no hesitation in telling everyone else what they are like and
what they will and will not do.

I've been on a 26X, and I sail around 26M's, so I have an idea of their
performance. There are several in my marina. And if you think that
"Macs are fine for their intended use" is Mac bashing, your English
comprehension is clearly suspect.

[...]

No, that's everyones assessment - everyone knowledgeable that is.
You're now arguing that operating boats outside their design envelopes
*doesn't* make them more prone to failure? I assume you must be, since
that's all my preceding two paragraphs say (except that obvious, that
trailerability and low cost require design compromises).

Here's my assesment:

1) A boat that is FUN TO SAIL!

And I disputed this *when* exactly?

2) A boat that is not essentially limited to being sailed in the
immediate area.

And I disputed this *when* exactly?

3) A boat that doesn't have to be berthed in a marina.

And I disputed this *when* exactly? I sailed a San Juan 26 for ten
years. It was a shoal draft keel/centerboarder, and was trailerable.
The San Juan, like the Mac26, and all other trailerable boats, share
this feature. So...

4) A coastal cruiser that can be sailed in a variety of waters,

For which is designed and constructed. Blue water isn't it, per the
designer.

5} A boat that incorporates a number of safety features, including
positive floatation that will keep the boat afloat even if the hull is
compromised.

Not with any serious payload. Another of the compromises.

[...]

Well, actually I think they are quite ugly. But yes that's clearly a
matter of personal preference. C30's are not particularly lovely either,
but mine is clean-lined enough to suit me.

On the downside, I've previously noted that the Macs aren't as
comfortable in chop or heavy weather, that they don't have sufficient
storage for a long voyage, that they don't point as well as larger
boats, and that they have a shorter waterline, that limits their hull
speed under sail.

A result of the many compromises necessary to create a light,
inexpensive, trailerable boat.

For someone who has whined incessantly, in this thread, about people
misreading your posts, and misquoting or misrepresenting *you*, you
clearly have no compunction about doing the same to others.

Keith Hughes

JimC May 2nd 08 12:35 AM

I decided

Martin Baxter wrote:

How many times are you trot out the same lame evasion?

You most certainly said that if Joe had been in a Mac, the Mac would
have been fine, and remained afloat,

Nope. Never stated or inferred that he would have been "fine."

But ignoring the point without the ability to carry 5 tons of cargo,
there would have been zero point in taking a Mac26X~M on such a voyage
in the first place.

Actually, he didn't do a very good job of carrying the cargo on Red
Cloud either. I suppose that there may have been some ocean creatures
that got to enjoy some of his coffee.

... you then went on to imply that a
Mac, apparently with Devine intervention would not roll, as many other
larger boats, designed with such conditions in mind have done.

Got that right.
JimC isn't so much arguing the merits of the Mac26X~M as he is
delivering a sermon to us heathens. You gotta BELIEVE!!

Nope. I'm simply pointing out all the unsupported assertions that have
been used to to "prove" the various anti-Mac positions. Follow the
unsupported assertions with some sarcasm and some "ha ha ha"s, and you
have a slam dunk that gets you some atta-boys from your fellow MacBashers.

Mysteriously you are now suggesting that the boat is in fact, not
suitable for survival, "it isn't a blue water boat suited for extended
crossings", that's a good start.

Actually, I never said it was a blue water boat in the first place. Not
so "mysterious" at all.

I think church may be out, JimC seems to have left the pulpit.
"Suitable for coastal sailing" is a bit of an exaggeration, much less
offshore & ocean crossing. I've seen the things struggling... and
having pieces break off... in average coastal/sheltered conditions,
say 15 knot winds and 3 foot seas.

But they didn't sink, did they?

One reason why MacGregor Co. upgraded the original Mac26X to the "new
improved" 26M is that they suffered almost universal steering failure,
the helm was the cheapest & smallest motorboat unit available and no
part of the steering was built to handle normal sailing loads.

"Universal failures?" - Gross exaggeration.

Further asking for evidence of a breakup in such conditions, when no
case of a Mac actually being used in such conditions does not constitute
proof of ability to survive. That we have no evidence of Macs sailing in
ocean storms is perhaps testimony the better judgement of Mac owners.

You seem to forget that the assertions (other than my assertion that I
thought a Mac 26 would have stayed afloat) weren't made by me at all.
The assertions, for example,those about the Macs coming apart and
rolling over and over like a washing machine, were made by Ganz and a
few others. All I have done is to point out to those making such
assertions that they have provided little if any supporting evidence.

Just because they bought a Mac26 doesn't mean they are stupid... just
that they are easily conned... and as JimC shows, the true faithful
would rather preach endlessly to us unwashed sinners than actually go
out sailing in real wind.

Not at all. I'm all in favor of ng participants getting their boats out
as often as possible.

To put in terms that even an imbecile can understand; you can't ask for
the results of a test that has yet to be conducted.

= On the other hand, one can ask those making wild and totally
unsupported assertions to back up their various assertions. It's a quite
rational and appropriate request.

Incidentally, it's becoming quite evident that you and others are
becoming increasingly frustrated and disturbed that this discussion is
still in progress, and that you haven't been able to put me down. But
that's your problem, not mine. -Deal with it.

Jim

Marty[_2_] May 2nd 08 01:41 AM

I decided

JimC wrote:

[snipped more unfounded repitition]

Once more, I never said that the Mac was a suitable vessel to take
offshore in severe weather. (How many times do I have to repeat myself?)
I said that if Joe had been in a Mac 26M, I thought his boat would have
remained afloat

Yes and most of us, who have a little experience, agree that while some
part of your Mac may have remained afloat, it would have been entirely
uninhabitable, and probably fatal for those involved.

Why you must persist in suggesting that this rather flimsy vessel would
somehow be suitable for such a venture is absolutely mind boggling.

Cheers
Marty

[email protected] May 2nd 08 02:09 AM

I decided

JimC wrote:
And the Macs are by far the most popular of boats (trailerable or
untrailerable) of this size.

Says who? Why MacGregor of course.
And does popularity really prove anything with a product that is so
mendaciously advertised?

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum, and I don't want to get into
it again.

Why, because you know that I have actually seen the failures of the
boat I've described to you, and it's painful to acknowledge?

It's two or three times faster under power than most of the boats
discussed on this ng.

Most sailors aren't interested in bragging about how fast their boats
go under power. And the Mac's claims of of speed are grossly
exaggerated, they lose speed dramaticaly when carrying any weight
beyond the stripped-bare minimum. And there are actually quite a few
boats that can sail faster than the Mac26X~M can motor.

AND DON'T TELL ME THAT THERE AREN'T OTHER BOATS THAT HAVE THIS FEATURE,

Why, does it bother you?

What you haven't acknowledged, of course, is that although other boats
have some of the same features, the COMBINATION of capabilities and
features available on the Mac 26m is rather unique

Only if you haven't looked beyond the Mac advertising brochures

.... Obviously, some boats are more responsive than the Mac
and can plane under sail, but most of them don't have anywhere near the
accommodations, comfort, and cabin size available with a Mac 26M. Also,

But many of them do.

Please keep in mind that I have been sailing for over 40 years, with
experience on a number of large and smaller boats

And yet, you haven't noticed that the Mac26X~M actually has rather
poor sailing & handling characteristics, which is obvious to many
experienced sailors just by watching the thing.

.... I'm not
really interested in racing, more into cruising.

Well, good performance is good performance. If you want to experience
the "magic of sail" then it doesn't matter if you're interested in
racing.

Again, when the wind hit the sails, it's magic!

Not really. It's technology.
;)

DSK