BoatBanter.com

-   -   globally balanced compasses (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/93151-globally-balanced-compasses.html)

[email protected] March 29th 08 11:39 PM

globally balanced compasses

In a moribund thread on possible problems with a compass in a set of
Steiner binoculars I mentioned having seen globally balanced
compasses. I just happened to run across them again. So, on the off
chance that someone has been searching for them Suunto makes them.
Actually, they make 5 zone, 2 zone and 1 zone compasses. My regular
old Ritchies have worked pretty well from 40S to 22N. So, I'm not
completely convinced of the need at least with globe style compasses.
I'm sure dip is more of a problem for flat compasses.

-- Tom.

Faire dinkum March 30th 08 06:39 AM

globally balanced compasses

As you suggest, it can be a real problem for flat compasses. I bought a
hand-held in California that wouldn't work at all in Tasmania (43 south).
Exchanged it for a Southern compensated compass and no more problems.