BoatBanter.com

-   -   News of sailing tragedy off San Francisco? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9211-news-sailing-tragedy-off-san-francisco.html)

john s. February 26th 04 03:23 AM

News of sailing tragedy off San Francisco? (tethers and attachment methods)

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
well, in my several millions of sea miles on over three thousand ships and
fourteen kayaks ...

I didnīt realize you had that many toys in your bathtub....
john

I'm not saying it can't happen -- it just hasn't happened to me or my crew
during many thousands of miles of blue-water and coastal sailing. The

short
release lanyard is close to the chest and not easily snagged. Of course it
*could* release accidentally, but I feel that the ability to manually
quick-release the tether more than compensates for the slight (as I see it)
risk of accidental release. If anyone know of a better solution, I would
love to hear of it.

I thoroughly agree that snap shakles at the boat-end of the tether are
unacceptable.

I fully agree with Paul. In over 10 000 miles oif offshore sailing, my
Lewmar bronze snapshackle has never opened accidentally. As a matter
of fact, it tales a bit of effort to open it deliberately. The
"lanyard" (actually a shor "tail") would find it very difficult to
snag anywhere.
john

Paul February 26th 04 06:39 AM

News of sailing tragedy off San Francisco?

There has been some discussion of this on the Sailnet email list (in
particular the Newport and Valient groups). Here is a link to a message
from the owner (and father of the lost crewmember):

http://archives.sailnet.com/arsearch...t/msg63327.php

This link bypasses the email list frame.

Regards,
- Paul
s/v VALIS

"Jack Dale" wrote in message
Does anyone in the San Francisco area have any further news?
Apparently one crew member was dragged down while wearing a harness,

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Calgar...20/354088.html

Jack