BoatBanter.com

-   -   SOS Distress Light Regulations (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/9081-sos-distress-light-regulations.html)

Len Krauss February 13th 04 02:25 AM

SOS Distress Light Regulations

Looking for clarification on regs as regards carrying a portable SOS
distress light as a substitute for flares and/or other aerial distress
signals. This light pulses only Morse Code S-O-S and is not intended for
other illumination purposes. My impression is that the SOS light plus a day
distress signal such the square orange flag with black square in center is
sufficient, at least for non-commercial vessel under 40 feet.

I would never be without flares, but dislike the idea of always having to
buy new ones just on account of expired dates. (I've seen many expired flare
shells fired and never saw one that didn't work.)

If possible, please direct me to the specifc website and reg so I can copy
it to carry aboard to show the water cops.

Thanks,
Len

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.