BoatBanter.com

-   -   Dual use of Cockpit Speakers?? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8983-dual-use-cockpit-speakers.html)

Steve February 4th 04 05:59 PM

Dual use of Cockpit Speakers??

I have a pair of speakers in the cockpit coaming for the AM/FM radio..

I would like to figure out a way to connect the VHF external speaker to one
of these, so I can hear any calls on it in scan or monitoring of ch16.

Both radios are below deck so I can only hear them in the cockpit on a
remote speaker..

I know I could just use a toggle switch, but would prefer to find a way to
combine both outputs so the VHF would be heard over the AM/FM output.

Is there a simple way to do this and prevent one unit from harming the
other??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Wendy February 4th 04 09:03 PM

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a pair of speakers in the cockpit coaming for the AM/FM radio..

I would like to figure out a way to connect the VHF external speaker to

one
of these, so I can hear any calls on it in scan or monitoring of ch16.

Both radios are below deck so I can only hear them in the cockpit on a
remote speaker..

I know I could just use a toggle switch, but would prefer to find a way to
combine both outputs so the VHF would be heard over the AM/FM output.

Is there a simple way to do this and prevent one unit from harming the
other??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve-

I'm not exactly sure how it's done, but the aviation headset people (David
Clark in Massachusetts is very helpful) do this sort of thing as a matter of
course, ie a CD player works through the headset but radio transmissions
will override it. The principle is the same- I know the DC people will help
if you can't find an answer elsewhere. Or try the crowd at
rec.aviation.piloting

Wendy

Laurent I February 4th 04 11:19 PM

Dual use of Cockpit Speakers??

Perhaps he
http://www.clubsnautiques.com/thira/...eurHiFiVHF.htm

Steve February 4th 04 11:51 PM

Dual use of Cockpit Speakers??

Yep! that would do it! ( but wouldn't everything be in French?? )

Seriously, does anyone know where this might be available in the US..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Capt. Jack February 5th 04 12:03 AM

Dual use of Cockpit Speakers??

Just wire the VHF external speaker output to the remote speaker. It won't
hurt anything if you have both the am/fm radio and vhf on at the same time,
just difficult to understand so you will have to turn the volume down on one
or the other.

:

Leanne February 5th 04 12:08 AM

Dual use of Cockpit Speakers??

Some of the newer radios will monitor both Ch 9 & 16 and some
will
also have a third channel of your choice.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:59:04 -0800, "Steve"

said:

I would like to figure out a way to connect the VHF external

speaker to one
of these, so I can hear any calls on it in scan or monitoring

of ch16.

This brings to mind a question I've been wondering about. Used

to be that
when you had the radio on you were supposed to monitor channel

16. However
from what I've read the general calling channel is now channel

9. So which
are you supposed to monitor these days?