BoatBanter.com

-   -   Offshore cruiser questions (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8913-offshore-cruiser-questions.html)

[email protected] January 29th 04 09:31 PM

Offshore cruiser questions

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:41:28 GMT, Rosalie B. . After eliminating
makes like Benateau, Irwin,
Catalina, Morgan, etc. this list included

Oh, don't eliminate the Morgans. You'll destroy Planet Skip G

R.

[email protected] January 29th 04 09:46 PM

Offshore cruiser questions

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:53:00 -0600, "Wendy"
wrote:

Right then- would like to do some single-handing now and again, I am pretty
fit (rock climber), barring 60' seas I doubt I'd fall off, and I probably
have a year or so to find what I want.

Well, then, certain attributes suggest themselves: lines *already* led
back to the cockpit--maybe even a center cockpit, which is arguably
better for women due to the better visibility (I assume you aren't six
feet tall or better...), current autopilot thrown in or provision for
same...a windvane is a bonus, seeing as a single-handed ocean sailor
would want one...Having a year is great...as you will want to check
out a lot of boats. Read The Saga of Skip Gundlach in these archives,
as he is on a very similar mission except he needs a bigger boat
because he is the world's tallest freestanding sailor G

I have loads of experience on the water, just not much fooling around with
sails. I've all the documents rounded up to sit for the USCG 100-ton
license, I've just not gotten around to doing it.

I would suggest it then for purely insurance-related reasons, and
delivery skipper is a good way to "try before you buy", when you think
about it. As for sail changes, join a club race crew on a 35-40 foo
boat. Work the foredeck. Oh, the sails you'll see!

The transatlantic
delivery idea is a good one, but not terribly practical at this point in
time. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, though.

Even a Newport-BVIs-USVIs would do it...just enough to get a feel for
proper offshore weather and waves.

I am more interested in the former, obviously :) I'm not averse to a bit of
work, but I decidedly do not want a project. Boats are enough work as it
is.

Yes, that's true enough. But a lot of otder boats, if well-maintained,
are simple enough because they simply don't have a great deal on board
to go wrong. Fewer thru-hulls, fewer electronics. no elaborate
fridges, bidets, or air-conditioning...it all equals less to break.

I'll google up the saga. I've been doing a bit of flying and, as
problematic as the broken-down boat can be, I can't imagine the situation
would be as dire as an aviation-related failure. I can deal with stress :)

Well, I was thinking along the lines of "hitting a container while
asleep". Having the seamanship to rig a fothering sail or collision
mat (and having that made up ahead of time) is the way to avoid
stress. It's the stuff that happens on the sunny, light air days that
can get you...not necessarily the survival storm drama.

Good points, all of them- thanks for taking the time to write them.

My pleasure. I hope to be where Skip is and where you are
going...long-term cruising...and I follow these processes avidly.

R.

Rich Hampel January 29th 04 09:46 PM

Offshore cruiser questions

Nahhhh. My wife single-hands our TY37. Once set up and with all the
controls to the cockpit its relatively easy, especially with a boomed
(and vanged) staysail. The only difficulty with a bigger heavier boat
is the size/weight of the sails and if you have to strip them off
entirely for some reason .... .
My personal limit is 400 sq. ft. per sail @ 9 oz/sq. ft. I cant handle
anything larger than that .... balancing on pitching deck holding on
to the sail with one hand plus teeth, etc.

The larger the boat the easier it is to sail (but if and only if - you
know how to 'precisely' sail already). But ..... I entirely agree
that the smaller tippy the boat the faster the learning curve. Perhaps
she should consider to buy a resaleable keelboat 'beater', gain
expertise on the beater, sell it, then buy the 'cruiser'. Nothin'
accelerates the learning curve faster than sailing **often** and
purposely in **all** kinds of weather.
:-)

In article , JAXAshby
wrote:

Rich, a Tayana 37 or a Valiant 40 might be a tad big for a woman to
singlehand.
A Southern Cross 31(same same as Aries 32 or Weatherly 32 or Roughwater 33)
or
a Luders 33 or a Westsail 28 or a Southern Cross 28, or a Bristol
27/30(?)/32/35, or a Seawind 33 or a Cape Dory 30 or 33, or a Baba 30, etc.

Consider upgrading and refitting a Robert Perry design: Tayana37,
Valiant 40, etc. These older designs (although heavyweight by todays
standards) have dominated passagemaking and voyaging for the past 30+
years.

[email protected] January 29th 04 09:50 PM

Offshore cruiser questions

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:12:55 -0500, DSK wrote:

Nowhere does my post above say that sailing is *more* dangerous. Only
that fatal = fatal, so the consequences of a mishap could be (but not
necessarily are always) equally dire.

Crash in an aircraft or car (at least over most land) and it usually
is noticed. Going down on a small boat, esp. if run over by a tanker
or something, and nothing may ever be found. Car travel is
quantitatively more dangerous than cruising, I would think, but the
problem with cruising is if you survive a rapid sinking or getting run
down or rammed...what then?

Unpleasant possibilities and the best argument for a personal EPIRB,
perhaps, particularly if single-handing.

R.

DSK January 29th 04 10:39 PM

wrote:
Crash in an aircraft or car (at least over most land) and it usually
is noticed. Going down on a small boat, esp. if run over by a tanker
or something, and nothing may ever be found. Car travel is
quantitatively more dangerous than cruising, I would think, but the
problem with cruising is if you survive a rapid sinking or getting run
down or rammed...what then?

hen dire things happen in sailboats, you probably have more time to
catch up on your regretting than in a plane.

Unpleasant possibilities and the best argument for a personal EPIRB,
perhaps, particularly if single-handing.

Yes indeed. I'm not in favor of singlehanding, but then I'm a social
critter.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Rosalie B. January 29th 04 11:58 PM

x-no-archive:yes wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:41:28 GMT, Rosalie B. . After eliminating
makes like Benateau, Irwin,
Catalina, Morgan, etc. this list included

Oh, don't eliminate the Morgans. You'll destroy Planet Skip G

Well I'm not a Morgan expert, and there are apparently good and bad
years, so I just eliminated the whole genre because I'm not a broker
and didn't want to go to the trouble to winnow out the good ones.
Anyway, Skip's is bigger I think.

grandma Rosalie