BoatBanter.com

-   -   Bought cool new digital charger....$89? WalMart?!! (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8891-bought-cool-new-digital-charger-%2489-walmart.html)

SB January 28th 04 12:04 AM

Bought cool new digital charger & OPT OUT CODE ....$89? WalMart?!!

Larry:

Any chance you can share that opt out encoding with any of us? Sounds like
fun and a good way to complete some of those mandatory registration
processes.

BTW: I got a kick out of your tag line.

Bob

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:39:15 GMT, JimL
wrote:

I Looked at the owners manual from their website. Looking at the
Performance Features, it's very impressive. Especially the
Recondition mode. Got an old battery to test that feature?

The carefully worded manual says it is to rejuvie working batteries,
not raise the dead. I reconditioned an old trolling motor battery
last night and all day today, but I've been in Orangeburg, SC, all day
trying to save my father's home from the terrible ice storm which just
tore Orangeburg apart Monday. Worst ice storm we've had since the
1970's! So, I haven't had time to test the AH rating of the trolling
motor battery.

Tonight, I'm reconditioning the 330AH golf cart house batteries in my
stepvan electronics shop. They're good batteries, too, but this is
probably good for them. They go through hell when I jerk 60ADC out of
them to power a loud music system at some outdoor party. I'm sure
they could use it.

Don't forget to send that warranty card in! I noticed that it
has a five year warranty *IF* you send in the warranty card within
10 days of purchase.

Yes, already sent...(c; Noticed they have no online registration. I
also sent them my OPT-OUT warning with the card, properly encoded data
so I can tell if they sell my information to outside parties, the
usual reason they are so adamant these days about having your personal
information....so they can sell it to the spammers.

Larry W4CSC

Is it just me or did the US and UK just capture 1/3
of the world's sweetest oil supply? What idiot wants to
GIVE IT BACK?!!

Harry Krause January 28th 04 01:54 AM

Bought cool new digital charger....$89? WalMart?!!

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message

Yes, let's talk about morality, something you know little about
personally. Let's talk about Ullico, and stealing and fraud:

How was Harry involved with the Ullico saga?

He wasn't.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Jim January 28th 04 03:45 AM

Bought cool new digital charger....$89? WalMart?!!

I'd rather pay more somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Larry W4CSC wrote:
One of my WalMart tires had another nail in it so I made the mistake
of returning it under my road hazard warranty for another free,
no-hassle replacement at WalMart, today. It cost me over $100 to
replace the tire which cost me $0.00 labor and tire. WalMart is slick
marketing. You can't help but look around while waiting....(c;

WalMart is handling a new line of Vector switching,
microprocessor-controlled "Smart" battery chargers. I had to buy the
biggest one, of course. It's a manly charger...(c; AR! AR!

The model is VEC1093A.
http://www.battery-rechargeable-char...y-charger.html
WalMart has it discounted to $89 and change from its $110 retail.
Walmart also makes refunds and returns just too easy, any port in the
country.

This charger uses a 100A switching power supply controlled by a
job-specific microprocessor. Click on the downloadable owner's manual
on the page to see how it works. It will charge a wide variety of
batteries from 2, 10, 20 and 40 amps and provide 100A of starting
current to get an engine moving WHEN THE COMPUTER SAYS YOU CAN.

Here in the shop, tonight, it's in its desufinating mode pulsing and
discharging my deep cycle trollilng motor battery for the free dingy's
auxiliary thruster. This mode is supposed to clean off and recover
the surface lead sulphate that didn't get recovered during the regular
charge cycle.

The charger is VERY light, being a switcher, not an analog with a huge
transformer. It doesn't have any transformer at all, at least not a
clunky 60Hz one. It has the SAME 3-stage constant current, then
tapering current constant voltage, then floating voltage technology
your favorite Waste Marine store wants $800 for with the yacht club
flag sticker on it. I think this thing has better metering at $89.
You can buy a SEPARATE charger for EACH battery bank at this price!

Its only drawback as a "boat charger" I see is it shuts off after the
charging cycle is complete, going to sleep until you press the button
again. But, for $720, I could click that ON button a LOT of times on
THIS 40 amp fancy house battery charger, couldn't you?

Go take a look. Cool technology at a VERY reasonable price.....

I should have stayed out in the cold rain behind the tire shop....(c;

Chris January 28th 04 04:51 AM

Bought cool new digital charger....$89? WalMart?!!

BTW, the reason we are not keeping Iraq's oil is that the USA and the
UK are honourable nations and are not going around the world stealing
things that look interesting.

Well, THAT was a good one. ;

Chris

[email protected] January 28th 04 05:17 AM

Bought cool new digital charger....$89? WalMart?!!

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:39:41 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

My humble apologies to r.b.c. I thought, wrongly, the little charger
might be of interest to small boaters as well as cruisers......

Screw 'em, Larry. I liked hearing about the charger. I like hearing
about any gadget that can do what the "marine" version can do at half
the price...or less.

Half my boat's spares are from Canadian Tire...I don't know the
American equivalent, but it ain't no chandlery.

R.

JimL January 28th 04 08:36 AM

Bought cool new digital charger....$89? WalMart?!!

I mentioned the warranty as I wasn't familiar with Vector
but did happen to notice that on the last page. Personally,
I *NEVER* send in warranty cards. Well, lo and behold, this
past fall I managed to fry my Schumacher 2/15/100 charger
by jump starting a mower and when one battery clip popped
off and made contact with the other while in 100 amp mode,
the charger mysteriously stopped working. :^) I called
Schumacher, told them I had bought it a year before and
didn't hide the fact of what happened. They told me to
send it in. No questions asked, not even proof of purchase
for when I bought it. I did and they fixed it. I don't
remember if there was a warranty card to even send in as I
noted above, I wouldn't have sent it anyway. I'll reconsider
in the future. :^)

-JimL

removed