BoatBanter.com

-   -   ROTFS (aka Gulf Stream) Current GRIB Files (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/87667-rotfs-aka-gulf-stream-current-grib-files.html)

Geoff Schultz November 7th 07 02:39 PM

ROTFS (aka Gulf Stream) Current GRIB Files

I've just noted that the latest beta version of SailMail (aka AirMail)
supports ROTFS GRIB files. These provide predictions for the Gulf Stream
and other currents showing the direction, rate and temperature for up to 72
hours in advance.

I don't quite understand their current speed predictions as they seem too
low, but at least it shows the relative speed and direction.

I placed a JPEG image of the GRIB display on my web site:

http://www.geoffschultz.org/Temp/rotfs.jpg

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Wayne.B November 7th 07 03:17 PM

ROTFS (aka Gulf Stream) Current GRIB Files

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 08:39:53 -0600, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I've just noted that the latest beta version of SailMail (aka AirMail)
supports ROTFS GRIB files. These provide predictions for the Gulf Stream
and other currents showing the direction, rate and temperature for up to 72
hours in advance.

I assume you already know about the GRIB files for wind speed,
direction and barometric pressure? I get a fresh update every day via
their subscription service and find it useful for planning.

Geoff Schultz November 7th 07 07:09 PM

ROTFS (aka Gulf Stream) Current GRIB Files

Wayne.B wrote in
:

wrote:

I've just noted that the latest beta version of SailMail (aka AirMail)
supports ROTFS GRIB files. These provide predictions for the Gulf
Stream and other currents showing the direction, rate and temperature
for up to 72 hours in advance.

I assume you already know about the GRIB files for wind speed,
direction and barometric pressure? I get a fresh update every day via
their subscription service and find it useful for planning.

Of course! When cruising I get daily GRIB files for my area. The ROTFS
support is new. I've never seen these files before.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org