BoatBanter.com

-   -   Another History Channel Special (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/87281-another-history-channel-special.html)

Joe October 20th 07 02:45 PM

Another History Channel Special

Hey Roger, I called a buddy at nippon denso to see if he could prove
your theory that if the Titanic were scaled down to 1/1000 it would be
so fragile it would crumple and droup around your hand when you picked
it up.

They did the car at 1/1000 scale that runs on it own power, he says
they could build an scale Titanic hull model, but it would cost around
240- 350 million dollars. You got that kind of spare change to prove
what you said ? :0)

http://www.densocorp-na.com/corporate/gwr.html

Joe

Joe October 20th 07 03:56 PM

Another History Channel Special

On Oct 20, 9:42 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
Do you think that car model had true scale thickness body panels?

--
Roger Long

No... looks as if it's solid, machined out to mount the motor, running
gear and other parts. I saw the real one once in parts on a microscope
slide at the SAE congress. They had the assembled one driving a figure
8 course they had carved into a dime.

If that were a goal, it could be accomplished. The bumpers were scale
thickness IIRC. I think when they made this car it cost 35 million to
tool up to build it.

It would seem a ships hull would be a breeze compared to a running
auto to build 1/1000th scale.

I agree with your statement to a point, but wonder if the
compartments in a ship of scale would provide more support than full
scale allowing you to pick up a ship model without it folding.

It is amazing how "fragile" ships are. Once during a storm in the
S.China sea I remember looking down a ships cargo handling passage way
and seeing the ship twist and flex by several feet each way....like a
wet noodle.

Joe

Mark Borgerson October 20th 07 07:53 PM

Another History Channel Special

In article .com,
says...
[...]

If you scale the ship down by 1000, that means that you would
scale the weight down by 1x10^9. The original Titanic was
882 feet long and weighed about 92 million pounds. A
TRUE scale model would be about 10.6 inches long and weigh
only 1.48 ounces!

The scaled down 1" hull plating would be just 0.001"---
about the thickness of aluminum foil. I guess it
might be a bit difficult to pick up that model
without denting the hull plates.

OTOH, if you had picked up the original Titanic with
a strap 60 or 70 feet wide under the middle of
the hull, it probably would have crumpled too!

Mark Borgerson