Cynde Durnford-Branecki

Default Queen Mary 2

Charles,
I'm originally from Brockville & noticed your message about the length
of the Lakers when I was doing a search. My father was a ship's master
on them and they were very long for a reason, to get through the locks
on the St. Lawrence. There are no other ships around the world with
the Laker's narrow configuration.

Cynde

"Charles T. Low" wrote in message ...
This is larger than the Titanic by far. Interestingly (to me), many of the
lake freighters which sift by my small city of Brockville on the St.
Lawrence Seaway are longer than the Titanic. Perhaps it was a big ship _for
its time_.

With some difficulty, I found a QM2 specifications page at www.
cunard.co.uk, which said this:

====

Length: 345 meters / 1,132 feet
Beam: 41 meters / 135 feet
Beam at Bridge Wings: 45 meters / 147.5 feet
Draft: 10 meters / 32 feet 10 inches
Height (Keel to Funnel): 72 meters / 236.2 feet
Gross Tonnage:
Approximately 150,000 gross tons
Passengers: 2,620
Crew: 1,253
Top Speed: Approximately 30 knots (34.5 mph)
Power: 157,000 horsepower, environmentally friendly, gas turbine/diesel
electric plant
Propulsion: Four pods of 21.5 MW each; 2 fixed and 2 azimuthing
Strength: Extra thick steel hull for strength and stability for Atlantic
crossings
Stabilizers: Two sets
Cost: Estimated $800 million dollars

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

Charles T. Low

Thanks, Cynde,

I think that largest that they will let through the locks is 730 feet long
and 75 feet wide. That leaves very little water around the ship in the lock!
And when I'm cruising along beside one in my 26 footer, I feel ve-e-ery
small! There are bigger locks and bigger ships on Lakes Huron and Superior,
but I don't think they can get onto the lower lakes from there. They must do
something like Detroit to Thunder Bay - that sort of thing (which is a
lo-o-ong way, for those of you who wonder why such big ships would be
required on mere "lakes").

Charles

====

Charles T. Low