BoatBanter.com

-   -   route from US to Isreal (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/86136-route-us-isreal.html)

richard September 11th 07 01:08 AM

route from US to Isreal

assuming one had a vessel worthy of such a trip, what route would you
take to deliver a vessel from the US to Isreal. This question came up
in a conversation and while I know that I am not qualified to make
such a trip I was still curious what route one would take. What boat
would you travel in if you had $150,000 to spend on a boat

[email protected] September 11th 07 01:14 AM

route from US to Isreal

On Sep 10, 5:08 pm, richard wrote:
assuming one had a vessel worthy of such a trip, what route would you
take to deliver a vessel from the US to Isreal. This question came up
in a conversation and while I know that I am not qualified to make
such a trip I was still curious what route one would take. What boat
would you travel in if you had $150,000 to spend on a boat

I would definitely go through the Panama Canal if I wanted a shorter
trip.
The scenic route has it's appeal though.

So much depends on your starting point, time available, crew, your
objectives, etc.

-Koos.

KLC Lewis September 11th 07 01:25 AM

route from US to Isreal

"richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
assuming one had a vessel worthy of such a trip, what route would you
take to deliver a vessel from the US to Isreal. This question came up
in a conversation and while I know that I am not qualified to make
such a trip I was still curious what route one would take. What boat
would you travel in if you had $150,000 to spend on a boat

From the east coast, Atlantic through the Med and down into Israel. Even
from the west coast, I think it would make more sense to go down to the
Panama Canal, then up and over, than to do the "West About" route.

Jere Lull September 11th 07 02:23 AM

route from US to Isreal

On 2007-09-10 20:08:07 -0400, richard said:

assuming one had a vessel worthy of such a trip, what route would you
take to deliver a vessel from the US to Isreal. This question came up
in a conversation and while I know that I am not qualified to make such
a trip I was still curious what route one would take. What boat would
you travel in if you had $150,000 to spend on a boat

If I didn't have a boat and the first thing I wanted to do was go to
Israel, I'd buy a boat in Israel or some place on that side of the
Atlantic.

Several of our little Xan's sisters have crossed the "pond" and back,
at least one of them twice, so it's not a matter of the boat, but the
*crew*, and a crew asking that question shouldn't even consider it.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Larry September 11th 07 05:04 AM

route from US to Isreal

richard wrote in
oups.com:

assuming one had a vessel worthy of such a trip, what route would you
take to deliver a vessel from the US to Isreal. This question came up
in a conversation and while I know that I am not qualified to make
such a trip I was still curious what route one would take. What boat
would you travel in if you had $150,000 to spend on a boat

From Boston, it looks like the Great Circle to Gibraltar goes pretty far
North for a direct route. You wouldn't want to run that far and couldn't
in most power boats. Boston to the Azores to Gibraltar would be the
"correct route", giving you some rest time after the first long leg.

Boston direct Gibraltar, measured with Google Earth's great circle
measuring stick, is 3000 nautical miles, almost exactly. Boston to the
Azores is 2000 nautical miles on a more Southerly route away from worse
weather. From the Azores to Gibraltar is 1050 miles, only adding 50
miles to a 3000 mile trip! Azores is the key.

Once you get to Gibraltar, I'd plan on calling at Malta, dead center in
the middle of the Med. I've been there on Navy ships. Malta is a
fantastic place to visit. Don't miss Mdina, the walled city from the
Middle Ages. If you bribe the priests...er, ah...donate, that's
better...they will take you up into the clock towers on both sides of the
church where about the oldest still-running clock on the planet is still
ticking away on its one-handed dial. It's bells are beautiful. Just for
reference, in Valetta Harbor, as you come out of the Custom House at the
landing, you'll be accosted by carriage operators who will "take you to
Valetta" for a couple of pounds. This ride is merely up the hill to your
left, around the corner at the top, stopping shy of the bus terminal
right on top of the hill where you were! The "lift" up the wall that's a
hundred years old is 3 1/2 pence....or it WAS in 1969. You'll be ripped
off, a national pastime in Malta, before you leave by "someone"! Barter
for everything like you were in Israel, already!

Gibraltar to Malta is about 1000 nautical miles, half as far as you are
from the Azores! Malta to Israel is a little over 1000 miles Google
Earth tells me. So, you'll have as far to travel by the time you get to
Gibraltar, as it took to go from Boston to the Azores, but with a time-
out in Malta (or Sicily if you'd like) in the middle.

Man this is a LONG TRIP at hull speed!

My captain Geoffrey rode his rich boss' 130' motor yacht from the western
end of the Panama Canal to the Monaco Boat Show, where the yacht was
displayed for the builder...poor baby! They came around Key West, fueled
in Ft Lauderdale, used over 5500 gallons to get to Bermuda to refuel
again. They left Bermuda at cruising speed, but hit some weather that
just guzzled fuel, so had to slow to hull speed long before they made
Azores, which Geoffrey said was just beautiful by the way. The boat only
holds 10,000 gallons and they would have run her dry at cruising speed!
As it was they took nearly 9900 gallons to fill it at Azores (NOT ON MY
VISA THEY WON'T!). Azores to Gibraltar was about 5000 gallons, then into
the Med direct to Monaco because they were late, another 4200 gallons.
Is it any wonder we're running out of oil?...(c; VISA, MC, Amex, Carte
Blanche, Federal Reserve, Bank of England, SaudiCard?

So, you need something you can provision for a 2000 mile passage big
enough to thwart crew mutiny and murdering each other. That Catalina 27
isn't it...(c; Hmm...2000 miles, say average 5 knots unless the breeze
dies or you have to tack like hell into a wrong wind, 400 hours or almost
17 days to Azores. Better carry LOTS of water! No marinas enroute!
Water rationing mandatory. A displacement trawler would halve that time
if the sea cooperates, which it won't.....

Are you SURE El Al wouldn't be a better ship? You could be there in a
day! If you compare the cost of fuel for a motoryacht to El Al's ticket,
ignoring the hundreds of hours of repairs and maintenance the damned boat
is going to REQUIRE all during this ordeal, you can stay for 6 months in
the biggest suite, in the finest hotel in Tel Aviv...and be waited on
hand and foot, not stuck on a boat at a marina fighting the heat and
begging for a ride to town from the dockmaster to buy groceries and do
laundry like a Palestinian refugee, on your way, of course, to the BOAT
PARTS STORE for $3000 in replacement parts and rigging you lost getting
here!...(c;

Larry
--
http://www.ussliberty.org/
Israel is our FRIEND, right?!

Larry September 11th 07 05:09 AM

route from US to Isreal

richard wrote in
oups.com:

What boat
would you travel in if you had $150,000 to spend on a boat

The most expensive first class seat on the biggest plane El Al has in its
fleet.

Too bad Cathay Pacific Airlines out of Hong Kong doesn't stop in Israel.
That's the finest, friendliest airline on the planet I've ever been on for
hours on end....London to Bahrain. Even steerage-class US Government
customers, like me, were treated like royalty!

Larry
--
http://www.ussliberty.org/
Israel is our friend, right?!

sherwindu September 11th 07 07:44 AM

route from US to Isreal

Back in 1973, I shipped my 22 footer from Charleston to Piraeus Greece. In
those
days shipping was more reasonably priced. I was not about to cross the Atlantic
with my boat. I think the weak link in that venture would have been the crew,
not the boat as that boat was a Westerly Cirrus built for the English Channel.
My brother and I sailed it from Greece to Israel making many interesting stops
in the Greek Islands, Cyprus, and on to Haifa where we kept the boat for three
years. We made many cruises to Greece and Turkey, over that time. There are
not a lot of fancy yacht harbors in that part of the world, but the beauty and
history of that area were more to my preferences. Be sure to notify the Israeli
authorities in advance of your plan, as they will greet you in any case as you
approach their shore. Don't bring in any firearms and having a visa in your
passport is probably helpful. If you are thinking of settling in Israel, you
can probably buy a boat there, and do your cruising like I did, at your leisure.

Sherwin D.

richard September 12th 07 10:55 AM

route from US to Isreal

Thanks again everyone for all your info.

Ed Forsythe September 14th 07 04:21 PM

route from US to Isreal

Haven't Linn and Larry Pardey covered similar lengths of ocean in a 26' boat
with no engine?
Ed F.
"Larry" wrote in message
richard wrote in
oups.com:

assuming one had a vessel worthy of such a trip, what route would you
take to deliver a vessel from the US to Isreal. This question came up
in a conversation and while I know that I am not qualified to make
such a trip I was still curious what route one would take. What boat
would you travel in if you had $150,000 to spend on a boat

From Boston, it looks like the Great Circle to Gibraltar goes pretty far

KLC Lewis September 14th 07 07:04 PM

route from US to Isreal

"Ed Forsythe" wrote in message
Haven't Linn and Larry Pardey covered similar lengths of ocean in a 26'
boat with no engine?
Ed F.

Not only similar lengths of ocean, but those exact waters.