BoatBanter.com

-   -   sea strainer (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8579-sea-strainer.html)

Miguel December 30th 03 12:54 AM

sea strainer

I have a small leak that fills the bilge about 1 1/2" every time a put
the boat in the water (and stops leaking), and I discovered the sea
strainer has a crack. I will appreciate if anyone can help me with the
following question: My manual says the sea strainer is "AC only" so
I believe is to be used when I'm docked,but I suspect the leak comes
from the sea strainer, if I don't have a use for it I'd rather like to
remove it from the boat. What is a "sea strainer" for?. thanks. Miguel

Karin Conover-Lewis December 30th 03 01:04 AM

sea strainer

Most common use is on the intake side of your engine or gen set (or both),
to filter out gunk before it gets sucked into your cooling system(s). In the
event that you do suck up gunk, you can close the seacock, clean the
strainer, open the seacock and you're back in business. I wouldn't advise
removing it -- but it would seem that you need to replace or repair it,
assuming you do have an engine or other machinery that uses outside water
for cooling.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

om...

Larry W4CSC December 30th 03 03:51 AM

sea strainer

What this newgroup needs is more MIME and HTML messages that are
impossible to read with clients that don't respond......to the spam.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:33:19 GMT, "sailor" wrote:

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C3CE31.DA44FEE0

I have never heard of a sea strainer that uses AC electrical power. Are =
you sure??? What is the name and model of the product?
Glen
"Miguel" wrote in message =
. com...
I have a small leak that fills the bilge about 1 1/2" every time a put
the boat in the water (and stops leaking), and I discovered the sea
strainer has a crack. I will appreciate if anyone can help me with the
following question: My manual says the sea strainer is "AC only" so
I believe is to be used when I'm docked,but I suspect the leak comes
from the sea strainer, if I don't have a use for it I'd rather like to
remove it from the boat. What is a "sea strainer" for?. thanks. Miguel
------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C3CE31.DA44FEE0

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"
META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=3DGENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2I have never heard of a sea strainer =
that uses AC=20
electrical power. Are you sure???  What is the name and model of =
the=20
product?/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Glen/FONT/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE=20
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"
DIV"Miguel" <A =
/A>=20
wrote in message A=20
=
href=3D"news:ff23348a.0312291654.475410d3@posting .google.com"news:ff2334=
/A.../DIVI=20
have a small leak that fills the bilge about 1 1/2" every time a =
putBRthe=20
boat in the water (and stops leaking), and I discovered the =
seaBRstrainer=20
has a crack. I will appreciate if anyone can help me with =
theBRfollowing=20
question:   My manual says the sea strainer is "AC only" =
soBRI=20
believe is to be used when I'm docked,but I suspect the leak =
comesBRfrom the=20
sea strainer, if I don't have a use for it I'd rather like =
toBRremove it=20
from the boat. What is a "sea strainer" for?. thanks.=20
Miguel/BLOCKQUOTE/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C3CE31.DA44FEE0--

Miguel December 30th 03 04:07 PM

sea strainer

"sailor" wrote in message news:zB4Ib.691914$Tr4.1725882@attbi_s03...
I have never heard of a sea strainer that uses AC electrical power. Are
you sure??? What is the name and model of the product?
Glen
"Miguel" m wrote in message
om...
I have a small leak that fills the bilge about 1 1/2" every time a put
the boat in the water (and stops leaking), and I discovered the sea
strainer has a crack. I will appreciate if anyone can help me with the
following question: My manual says the sea strainer is "AC only" so
I believe is to be used when I'm docked,but I suspect the leak comes
from the sea strainer, if I don't have a use for it I'd rather like to
remove it from the boat. What is a "sea strainer" for?. thanks. Miguel
--

Karin, Glen

Thanks for your answers, there is a total lack of information in the
boat's manual about the sea strainer operation, and I believe the "A/C
only" note may be erroneous unless it operates using a DC/AC inversor
I cannot see. I will dissasemble it and see what I can find!. If
someone buys a Rinker be aware that the user guide is not what you may
expect, besides that so far is a good boat!.

Peter Bennett December 30th 03 05:27 PM

sea strainer

On 30 Dec 2003 08:07:54 -0800, (Miguel) wrote:

Thanks for your answers, there is a total lack of information in the
boat's manual about the sea strainer operation, and I believe the "A/C
only" note may be erroneous unless it operates using a DC/AC inversor
I cannot see. I will dissasemble it and see what I can find!. If
someone buys a Rinker be aware that the user guide is not what you may
expect, besides that so far is a good boat!.

Any chance the "A/C only" means "Air Conditioner"?

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
new newsgroup users info :