BoatBanter.com

-   -   Andersen Winches (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8573-andersen-winches.html)

Ray Cullum December 29th 03 05:16 PM

Andersen Winches

I am in the market for new winches and I have been told to look at Andersen.
I have used Lewmar in the past and have been very satisfied but the MO on
Lewmar is that they aren't what they used to be especially on the service/parts
end.

I would appreciate any input on Andersen or Lewmar.

Thanks,

Ray
S/V FROLIC

Steve December 29th 03 06:03 PM

Andersen Winches

I have always favored Lewmar winches since the older ones seem to hold up
very well..

I could never afford selftailing winches until this boat and then, only if I
purchased used winches.

I found a pair of 44st (here from a fellow in the NG) and they were in great
condition with the exception of some chrome pealing on one drum..
Additionally I purchased several other secondary and halyard winches from a
friend who was doing a complete refit... The only problem I have with the
smaller halyard winch is that the selftailer won't take the 1/2" line size
that it is rated for and there is no way to adjust the plate seperation..

Otherwise I still prefer the Lewmar over all for winches and windlass, but
then I've only had one season with the selftailing types..
--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

joel December 30th 03 01:36 AM

Andersen Winches

I replaced Lewmars with self tailing Andersen's a few years ago. Much
lighter and actually a modern design. The Lewmars seem typical 30 years
old design. Andersen is the only one with vertical ribs to hold the
lines instead of rough surface which abrades the lines. They work very
well I can say. Easy enough to get inside.