Default UV degradation of Walker Bay dinghies?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, anon wrote:

wrote:

I assume that you are using this dinghy with a sailboat?

yes

If so use the spinnicker pole as a derrick. connect the
pole to the mast; connect the pole lift and rig a two,
three, whatever, part tackle between the pole and then
dink. You probably should also rig for and aft lines to
the end of the pole to control swing while you're hauling
the dinghy. Cheers . . .

Of course, I agree with this . . . if one has a spinnaker or like
pole. As it happens (actually: it didn't just "happen" and instead
for us was a matter of choice), we don't, having opted instead for a
near functional equivalent to a spinnaker or gennaker but with (for
us) more ease-of-handling yet don't-give-up-performance features
(i.e., Doyle's self-furling "utility power sail" a/k/a "UPS")). My
earlier suggestion, quoted in part below, thus is correspondingly
meant to (and does) perform exactly the functions in pretty much the
same manner as use of a spinnaker pole you summarize above yet also
with more collapsable/stow-able ease.*

-----------------------
*
Three 1"-diameter dowels capped with poly-piping
at the end acting as collars which, when slotted
together, make pole which can be attached
at one end to the mast, held up near the other
end with a spare halyard, and with pulleys at the
over-the-water end (and, again, [acts as a "derrick"
and] which when done can be removed and stowed
conveniently).

anon

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:05:17 GMT, wrote:

Sorry 'bout that. All of the sailing boats I've been around had poles
so somehow assumed that everyone did.

One comment on your design. Those one inch dowels aren't going to be
very strong and if "poly-piping" is PVC piping it doesn't have much
strength. With my setup, initially the spinnicker pole is just about
horizontal in order to reach far enough out to lift the dinghy
horizontally (level) and have sufficient clearence to avoid bashing
the topsides of either vessel against the other. This puts some pretty
high loads on the pole. I'd do some testting to be sure that one inch
dowel would be strong enough.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, anon wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Cheers,

anon
(reply to k4556[at]inet[dot]co[dot]th)

Jere Lull

Albert P. Belle Isle wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:42:53 GMT, wrote:

Porta-bote 8 footer is 50 pounds! When set up, it is the same general size as a
Walker bay. When folded, it gives you a whole new set of possibilities for where
and how to store it.

Aha!.

I had missed the 8-foot version, as most people seem to have a
10-footer. Maybe I'd better take another look at the Porta-Bote.

I understand that it rows pretty well, and an 8 footer would fit on
top of the forward part of the coach roof, but only be 4 _inches_ in
height, rather than 2 feet.

We're a bit smaller: 27'7" LOA and carry a 12.5' PortaBote. Rows
wonderfully and takes up essentially no space since it can be walked on
with impunity. It's our starboard side deck, for all intents and
purposes. (some of it is outside of our lifelines.) After something like
8 years, no failure.

It weights more, but can be dumped over the side with only one seat and
the transom in place, which makes it slightly lighter. I launch and
retrieve by myself, using a halyard when I'm feeling lazy.

Because it rows so well, we don't even bother bringing the outboard any
more. A half-mile row is simply good exercise, though I hate to row ANY
dink into a headwind for very long.

I did see one posting from someone who had a 10-foot Porta-Bote which
sounded like it shed little bits of itself and otherwise looked pretty
bedraggled after a few years.

I haven't seen that post, but ours is in fine (though sun-damaged) shape
even though I've done nothing to it (other than its yearly wash) over
the years. The black tubing will leave marks on the mothership, but I'm
told that can be cured with some bronze wool and Son-of-a-gun. We stow
the seats and transom below decks. I suppose the foam on the seats would
degrade if stored in the sun.

Can anyone comment on quality of construction? I know that a 0.25"
sheet of the basic material is extremely tough stuff. My question is
more "form, fit and finish."

We still don't have leaks; haven't heard anyone that has. The boat isn't
purty, but it's tough as nails. I put a few gouges in it over the years
by dragging it over sharp things, but they're merely cosmetic.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

anon wrote:

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:05:17 GMT, wrote:

Sorry 'bout that. All of the sailing boats I've been around had poles
so somehow assumed that everyone did.

We didn't have one, but Bob made one and installed it on the front of
the mast so we use it as you suggest.

http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/31714/#TL is a picture of him
doing that.

We rarely - almost never - use it to pole out the head sail (and we
have a yankee jib), but we use it a lot for dinghy launch and
retrieval.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, anon wrote:

wrote:

[...]

grandma Rosalie