BoatBanter.com

-   -   Calculating distance from Lat/Long (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8346-calculating-distance-lat-long.html)

Lloyd Sumpter December 4th 03 09:20 PM

Calculating distance from Lat/Long

Hi,

I'm writing a program for Linux that displays position (from GPS) on a
scanned-in chart, and would like it to calculate distance from current
position to the cursor.

How do you calculate distance between two points using lat/long? If
they're due North/South, I can do it ( 1 minute of lat = 1 NM) but how do
you calculate distance from longitude? Perhaps some formula based on the
circumfrence of the Earth at the equator and the latitude?

Lloyd Sumpter

otnmbrd December 4th 03 09:39 PM

Calculating distance from Lat/Long

If you have a Bowditch, look under "Sailings" or look in Bowditch online
for the same info.
What you need will be in there.

otn

Dan Best December 5th 03 12:19 AM

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

That will do it - thanks! Curious about how those formulae were developed,
though...

Spherical Trigonometry - not for the fain of heart.
--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979

Steve December 5th 03 12:20 AM

Calculating distance from Lat/Long

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message

That will do it - thanks! Curious about how those formulae were developed,
though...

I once tried to imagine Bowditch working and refining his tables and
formulas manually. Must have been total dedication.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions