BoatBanter.com

-   -   MMSI questions (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/81340-mmsi-questions.html)

Roger Long June 6th 07 12:22 PM

MMSI questions

My paperwork is into the FCC for ship station and limited operators licenses
so I'll be getting my MMSI number from them. I have not yet bought an EPIRB
so the records will show the boat as not equipped.

Is the MMSI number specific to the boat or to the equipment item?
Do I just enter the same number into the EPIRB when I buy it?
Do I have to file an ammendment with another $60 fee just to get the EPIRB
entered in the records?

--
Roger Long

Wayne.B June 6th 07 02:00 PM

MMSI questions

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 07:22:14 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Is the MMSI number specific to the boat or to the equipment item?

Specific to the boat.

Do I just enter the same number into the EPIRB when I buy it?

Yes.

Do I have to file an ammendment with another $60 fee just to get the EPIRB
entered in the records?

No, but you do need to register the EPIRB of course.

https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/...isterNewBeacon

[email protected] June 7th 07 12:34 AM

MMSI questions

On Jun 6, 3:00 am, Wayne.B wrote:
Do I just enter the same number into the EPIRB when I buy it?

Yes. ...

Is that for the GPS - EPIRBS? My EPRIBS have come with their own
numbers that need to be registered with NOAA periodically but I've
never had to enter an MMSI into one...

-- Tom.

Keith June 8th 07 02:59 PM

MMSI questions

Your MMSI number is entered into your radio. Be sure to read the
instructions and get it right. It will only take three entries, after
that it'll lock up and won't accept a number. This is to keep people
from changing them. You don't enter any number into an EPIRB, it comes
with it's own ID, and you register it to you.
Be sure to interface your GPS with your VHF, so if you hit the
emergency button, it'll transmit your position as well.