BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yacht sunk by Ferry (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/79832-yacht-sunk-ferry.html)

Stephen Trapani April 18th 07 06:10 AM

Yacht sunk by Ferry

Don W wrote:
Stephen Trapani wrote:
Larry wrote:

He had much more than that wrong. The primary thing he had wrong was
how close of tabs government would keep on citizens. People cry all
the time about this law and that law, but fail to take into account
how strictly the laws are actually enforced. You mention taxes.

I have gone about seven years now without paying my income taxes. Yes,
I do owe them, yes it is a significant amount, no I'm not using some
verbal trick. I owe taxes, I haven't paid them. It's against the law.
But, if not for me actually informing an IRS agent that I haven't paid
them, I probably still would be going relatively un-noticed. Time
after time I would receive notices and even phone calls but then they
would just let it slide. When this guy did find out did they rush me
to jail? No. Threaten me with jail? No. Threaten me at all? Yeah, well
a little. "We're going to have to do something if this isn't paid
soon." He said. And then I was ignored for another year or two.

snip
Stephen

Whoa Stephen,

The wheels of government grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.
The amount you owe them must be way down on the list, because otherwise
you'd already probably be out on parole after a couple of warning years
in the federal pen.

Do you move around a lot by any chance? I would not count on getting
away with this long term.

I've lived and worked in the same place for twenty years. Is $65,000 not
much money?

But that was only one example of my point. I speed often, for example. I
break a few other laws fairly often with little to no fear of getting
caught because it's obvious it's a low priority for the govt. Don't you
ever break laws for good reason and not fear much getting caught?

Our freedom has less to do with what's written down on paper. It has
much more to do with what actually happens to us when we try to do good
things that we want to do.

Stephen

Vic Smith April 18th 07 06:30 AM

Yacht sunk by Ferry

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:10:59 -0700, Stephen Trapani
wrote:

I've lived and worked in the same place for twenty years. Is $65,000 not
much money?

But that was only one example of my point. I speed often, for example. I
break a few other laws fairly often with little to no fear of getting
caught because it's obvious it's a low priority for the govt. Don't you
ever break laws for good reason and not fear much getting caught?

I'm just stuffing envelopes with fed and state tax returns for my
family (me and my wife, my ex, 4 of my kids, six in total)
12 returns in total.
I do 'em all with Turbo Tax.
No taxes are due, and I didn't lie about anything so they can't get me
for perjury
Since they are all sleeping, or living elsewhere, I will forge all
their signatures.
I won't mail them until tomorrow. A day late.
I figure on speeding when I drive to the mailbox.
So I'm looking at 12 counts of forgery, 12 counts of late mailing,
and 1 count of speeding.
Not sure if they'll get me, but the outlaw life is exhilarating, and
I'll take my chances.
Tomorrow I plan to rip off some of the tags on the pillows around the
house, and again I'll be bucking the feds.
Life is sweet.

--Vic