BoatBanter.com

-   -   Strange Sub in the Panama Canal? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/79780-strange-sub-panama-canal.html)

Maynard G. Krebbs April 10th 07 08:50 AM

Strange Sub in the Panama Canal?

De-Lurk engaged!

I usually leave the Panama Canal webcam
http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html
up on my computer during the day and I glance at it through the day.
Yesterday (Sunday) I saw a military ship with an A-Frame crane over
the back deck heading south toward the Pacific. It's bow number was
53 I think. It was followed into Miraflores lock by a submarine and
a couple of tugs. Using the largest tug at 75' and the width of the
canal at 110' as guides, I estimated that the sub was around 150'
long.
Anyone know anything about the sub?
Mark E. Williams

[email protected] April 10th 07 03:05 PM

On Apr 10, 2:50 am, Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:
De-Lurk engaged!

I usually leave the Panama Canal webcam
http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html
up on my computer during the day and I glance at it through the day.
Yesterday (Sunday) I saw a military ship with an A-Frame crane over
the back deck heading south toward the Pacific. It's bow number was
53 I think. It was followed into Miraflores lock by a submarine and
a couple of tugs. Using the largest tug at 75' and the width of the
canal at 110' as guides, I estimated that the sub was around 150'
long.
Anyone know anything about the sub?
Mark E. Williams

The ship was the USS Grapple, a sub rescue ship. Most likely the sub
was a fast attack training with the Grapple.
http://united-states-navy.com/ars/ars53_3.jpg

Joe

Maynard G. Krebbs April 11th 07 12:18 AM

On 10 Apr 2007 07:05:47 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Thanks Joe. Nice site.
They rotated the camera as soon as the lock gates started closing.
They moved it to a freighter moored in the lake and zoomed in on it.
:o)
Mark E. Williams

Larry April 11th 07 04:53 AM

Strange Sub in the Panama Canal?

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote in
:

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

It's near midnight EST. Look at the Miafiora cam, now. There's a red
headed PARROT sitting by the lights right next to the cam!....(c;

Larry

Two meter troll April 11th 07 09:33 PM

On Apr 10, 8:53 pm, Larry wrote:
Maynard G. Krebbs wrote :

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

It's near midnight EST. Look at the Miafiora cam, now. There's a red
headed PARROT sitting by the lights right next to the cam!....(c;

Larry
--

dont look very live to me.

Maynard G. Krebbs April 12th 07 12:31 AM

Strange Sub in the Panama Canal?

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 03:53:33 +0000, Larry wrote:

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote in
:

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

It's near midnight EST. Look at the Miafiora cam, now. There's a red
headed PARROT sitting by the lights right next to the cam!....(c;

Larry

LOL. It's some kind of hawk. It only shows up at night when the
camera shutter and the flashing red light up behind the camera hit the
same rythm. sp I've seen the hawk during the day is why I know.
Mark E. Williams

Larry April 12th 07 05:00 AM

Strange Sub in the Panama Canal?

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote in
:

LOL. It's some kind of hawk. It only shows up at night when the
camera shutter and the flashing red light up behind the camera hit the
same rythm. sp I've seen the hawk during the day is why I know.
Mark E. Williams

Bet they have a nest right next to that light....(c;

Larry