BoatBanter.com

-   -   Clearance under the Salem-Beverly bridge (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/79754-clearance-under-salem-beverly-bridge.html)

[email protected] April 9th 07 04:54 AM

Clearance under the Salem-Beverly bridge

We are trying to decide where to put a mooring in Salem Harbor for a
just purchased sailboat. Area S is the most protected, but to get
there we need to pass under the new 1A bridge between Salem and
Beverly . None of the maps have been updated for the new bridge, and
we are not sure if our Cal 29 mast would pass underneath.

Anyone having some views on the best place to moor in Salem Harbor
would be much appreciated.

Amy

Jeff April 9th 07 12:56 PM

* wrote, On 4/8/2007 11:54 PM:
We are trying to decide where to put a mooring in Salem Harbor for a
just purchased sailboat. Area S is the most protected, but to get
there we need to pass under the new 1A bridge between Salem and
Beverly . None of the maps have been updated for the new bridge, and
we are not sure if our Cal 29 mast would pass underneath.

Anyone having some views on the best place to moor in Salem Harbor
would be much appreciated.

I ran into the same problem when I brought my boat into the
Danversport Marina for winter storage some years ago. My mast is 47'
plus antenna, so I figure a bit under 50'. The reports I got were
between 48 and 50 feet. We went through a low with no problem, of
course, and were nervous coming back out at half.

Unless I'm mistaken, your mast is relatively short with total height
above water of something like 40 feet, so there shouldn't be any problem.

BTW, this is mostly from memory, so you should check your specs and
ask the local harbormasters. Also, looking at a recent vector chart
in Coastal Explorer, the claim is: "Vertical Clearance: 48.9 ft" which
is consistent with my experience.

As for mooring areas, I don't know a lot. Obviously Area S is pretty
well protected, but I thought there was a long waiting list.