Default Bowditch Questions, etc.

Hello:

Have a very old copy of Bowditch, and thought I would like to obtain a new
printed version. Know there are on-line copies now, but I'm old fashioned,
and prefer paper.

Did a Google on Bowditch, but surprisingly nothing really came up.

a. Does anyone, Gov't or private, publish it anymore ? Who ?

b. What is the latest ed. ?

c. When is the next one due out ?
(would hate to buy one now, and a few months from now a new ed. is
avail.)

Is there any consensus on which is the "best" on-line book seller for marine
related subjects (other than Amazon) ?

Thanks,
Bob

"Robert11" wrote in message
news
Hello:

Have a very old copy of Bowditch, and thought I would like to obtain a new
printed version. Know there are on-line copies now, but I'm old
fashioned, and prefer paper.

Did a Google on Bowditch, but surprisingly nothing really came up.

a. Does anyone, Gov't or private, publish it anymore ? Who ?

b. What is the latest ed. ?

c. When is the next one due out ?
(would hate to buy one now, and a few months from now a new ed. is
avail.)

Is there any consensus on which is the "best" on-line book seller for
marine related subjects (other than Amazon) ?

Thanks,
Bob

Search "American Practical Navigator."

* Robert11 wrote, On 4/6/2007 11:14 AM:
Hello:

Have a very old copy of Bowditch,

How old? If its first edition (1802) it could be worth several
thousand dollars. If its from the era shortly after the Navy took
over (about 1860) its still worth a few hundred, and a WWII copy even
has value.

and thought I would like to obtain a new
printed version. Know there are on-line copies now, but I'm old fashioned,
and prefer paper.

Its certainly available under the name "American Practical Navigator."
There are actually several different printings of the current
edition, at least two in hardcover and one paperback, since the
government released the pdf files for common use. Mine came with a CD
that includes a quite usable downloadable version, plus extra material.

Did a Google on Bowditch, but surprisingly nothing really came up.

A search in Amazon will bring it up.

a. Does anyone, Gov't or private, publish it anymore ? Who ?

b. What is the latest ed. ?

2002. There was talk of canceling it, but then they made a big push
to have a 200th anniversary edition. Much fanfare up in Salem.

c. When is the next one due out ?
(would hate to buy one now, and a few months from now a new ed. is
avail.)

A good question, I doubt there will be another soon but I could be wrong.

Is there any consensus on which is the "best" on-line book seller for marine
related subjects (other than Amazon) ?

International Marine is part of McGraw-Hill and has a large catalog
http://www.mhprofessional.com/category/?cat=132

Sheridan House is another
http://www.sheridanhouse.com/index.html

But Amazon will often have the best prices. I buy a lot of books
online, and almost always end up a Amazon. Lately, we've use their
"used book" dealers a lot.

On Apr 6, 9:10 am, Jeff wrote:
[...]

powels books portland oregon in the rare book valt I belive. you could
call and check.

Bowditch Americal Practical Navigator Book Questions Robert11 General 0 August 22nd 06 07:42 PM
Where's the poop questions? Sandy K. General 49 May 24th 05 09:46 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Lots of questions :) GC General 7 September 16th 04 05:45 AM
Newbie questions Tony Kenny UK Power Boats 7 January 12th 04 09:44 PM